• oh bugger

Exclamation Tim Burton Gets it Right

Burton's 'Corpse Bride' Expecting a Lucrative Honeymoon

Reporters and critics attending the Toronto International Film Festival are predicting that Tim Burton will have his second big hit in two months (the other was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) with the animated Corpse Bride, which opens domestically on Sept. 23. The film uses stop-motion animation, which today's (Wednesday) San Jose Mercury News described as "probably the most labor-intensive form of filmmaking ever invented." However, Burton suggested that if the film turns out to be a hit, other films using the process will follow. He told the newspaper: "In Hollywood, they think drawn animation doesn't work anymore, computers are the way. They forget that the reason computers are the way is that Pixar makes good movies. So everybody tries to copy Pixar. They're relying too much on the technology and not enough on the artists. The fact that Disney closed down its cel animation division is frightening to me. Someday soon, somebody will come along and do a drawn-animated film, and it'll be beautiful and connect with people, and they'll all go, 'Oh, we've got to do that!' It's ridiculous."

It's good to read someone in Hollywood telling it like it is. Way to go Burton, you can tell he has a great love for animation and its history. He did start at Disney animation. It only makes me like him more!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Tim Burton Gets it Right

Despite what people may say about Burton and the subjects of his films, no one can fault or argue with his logic here.

I knew there was a reason I liked him.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• e komo mai

I love what he said here. It's absolutely how the Mouse works. They don't revisit anything until it is proven that it will be popular again and make money.

They also have a bad habit of fixing things that aren't broken and then when the new thing fails, they just leave it in shambles until someone with a suit and a heart comes by and changes it back.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

^ this happens at every studio, it's always been a cyclical business, not unlike alot of others.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    ^ this happens at every studio, it's always been a cyclical business, not unlike alot of others.
    I think even more than that (and I may get flamed here) it's how our country sometimes works. The government doesn't get involved until the very last minute...

• Still lost in Neverland

Tim always gets it right. He is a genious. Every one of his movies is so much fun, no matter how dark the subject matter.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    Burton's 'Corpse Bride' Expecting a Lucrative Honeymoon

He told the newspaper: "In Hollywood, they think drawn animation doesn't work anymore, computers are the way. They forget that the reason computers are the way is that Pixar makes good movies. So everybody tries to copy Pixar. They're relying too much on the technology and not enough on the artists. The fact that Disney closed down its cel animation division is frightening to me. Someday soon, somebody will come along and do a drawn-animated film, and it'll be beautiful and connect with people, and they'll all go, 'Oh, we've got to do that!' It's ridiculous."
    Well said Tim Burton. My opinion of him just went up. Although, I didn't have a low opinion to start.

I, and many others, have been saying this for awhile now. It is sooo nice to hear someone in the industry sees this as a problem as well.

WAKE UP DISNEY!!! Pixar creates excellent stories with well crafted characters, that's why we enjoy their films and why they do so well. Disney used to be able to do that...

Come up with a great story, great characters, throw in a tune or two, and then decide what style of animation fits the story. Hand drawn, CGI, and stop motion can all peacefully co-exist IMHO. I am glad Burton realizes his stories look better with stop motion. Can anyone image TNBC done in CGI?!?! Ugh...
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

^^ VERY Well Said Tim Burton and VERY WELL SAID Mandabella!!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy

Tim always gets it right. He is a genious. Every one of his movies is so much fun, no matter how dark the subject matter.
    It's not about the movies this is referring to, it's about his views on the business and animation, specifically.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Happy Memories

Tim Burton Rules!