Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Has Disney got the next gen of theme park rides?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    This got me going - Look at the list of 'interactive' attractions
    Turtle Talk with Crush - Nice but not spectacular
    Monsters Laugh Floor - Heard it's not great
    Buzz Lightyear - Pretty good but still just a C or D ticket
    TSMM - Again pretty good, but will the technology remain unique? D Ticket, for now.
    American Idol - To be seen, but definitely won't last tooo long after the show goes off the air.
    Kim Possible - Sounds like fun, but based on a minor show.
    Adventures of Spider Man at Uni FL - Haven't seen it, but have heard it called the best theme park attraction ever.
    What's Disney missing in the ones listed here? Could it be 'total immersiveness'?
    This is a good list of some of their recent ventures. None of them are good expect for maybe Buzz and Midway Mania.

As a matter of fact, I think Disney's latest rides have been LESS immersive than older classics such as Pirates or Mansion or newer classics such as Indiana Jones or Splash Mountain.

Trying to be like video games is a tricky thing. I agree that TSMM is a good idea that should have been done, but as I said, future rides shouldn't rely too much on that type of technology, because it may soon be outdated. What is truly unique to Disney is AA figures.

Ok, Uni has done them, and I can think of times when they did them better. But you can't find them anywhere else, and I think Disney needs to take better advantage of them. AAs in shows like Country Bears, America Sings, etc. may not draw crowds after a while, but in rides like POTC you can't beat them.

Large AA rides like Horizons and World of Motion in Epcot didn't last, and maybe that's why Disney doesn't want to invest in another big one, because I know AAs are expensive. But somehow those two Epcot rides didn't have long lasting classic appeal, I know they were kind of boring and corny.

But a classic fantasy like Star Wars would make a great AA-filled attraction! Just think how great it would be to see Jabba the Hut and Yoda 'alive' in person! Or to be in the middle of the Ice Battle on Hoth! Or be in the Death Star docking bay with the Millennium Falcon! Or ride through Tatooine! Ok, I guess I've made my point.
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 01-30-2009 at 09:53 PM.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    But a classic fantasy like Star Wars would make a great AA-filled attraction! Just think how great it would be to see Jabba the Hut and Yoda 'alive' in person! Or to be in the middle of the Ice Battle on Hoth! Or be in the Death Star docking bay with the Millennium Falcon! Or ride through Tatooine! Ok, I guess I've made my point.
    One thing that DCA needs in the Hollywood Backlot area is a new revamped version of The Great Movie Ride, but, make it special to DCA by having it based exclusively on Disney's live action movies. Would love to go through a scene where Kirk Douglas is fighting the big squid, or scenes from The Rocketeer and National Treasure!

• keh!

they should totally make splash mountain into a lazer tag kind of game where you can shoot at people in other logs, it would make sense right?.... right??!!?

I'm with Dusty

I think the offerings they mentioned are cute, but they don't quite rate as an exciting evolution of the theme park attraction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12