Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

I bought the soundtrack and these are some of the BEST set of songs from a Disney film in a very long while. (Enchanted is great but feels so long ago)

The score isn't really that special though... it's typical Randy Newman. If you heard it you would think you were listening to A Bug's Life or Monsters Inc.

But still... hands down, BEAUTIFUL music.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I bought the soundtrack and these are some of the BEST set of songs from a Disney film in a very long while. (Enchanted is great but feels so long ago)

The score isn't really that special though... it's typical Randy Newman. If you heard it you would think you were listening to A Bug's Life or Monsters Inc.

Thanks for the info. The songs from the video's I've seen of Tiana's Showboat Jubilee in DL sound great, especially considering it was Randy Newman. Sorry to hear the main score is less special (will always wonder what Alan Menken's music would have been like for Princess and the Frog). Can't wait to see the movie next week. Oh, and i did pick up the CD at Costco tonight! Yeah, an actual CD, instead of just a stupid download, like they did for "Up".

• ...is busy, please hold.

Want to see what The Spill thinks of it first, if they praise it I'll see it.
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

OMG! I was wondering what was wrong with the main score, and you nailed it! It sounded rather blan, which is very strange given how strong the songs were compared to the instrumentals.

Quote Originally Posted by dead_Mau5 View Post
    Want to see what The Spill thinks of it first, if they praise it I'll see it.
    You know they will.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Newman mines Big Easy music for 'Frog'

Composer digs into New Orleans' rich history

Newman mines Big Easy music for 'Frog' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Three of Disney's top animators discuss the crucial return to 2D

Goldberg, Deja and Smith Talk Princess and the Frog

"...We re-watched the films that Walt Disney made, and the one that really grabbed us was Lady and the Tramp. It's the pinnacle of Walt's artistic style… With this inspiration, the lush look of Ron and John's new film evokes our fondest memories of Disney's classic fairy tales. More importantly, The Princess and the Frog gives new generations the opportunity to discover what we know: that this art form is absolutely spectacular."

-- John Lasseter (Preface to The Art of The Princess and the Frog by Jeff Kurtti, Chronicle Books)
    Experiencing The Princess and the Frog (opening in LA and New York today and expanding Dec. 11) is like visiting an old friend: it's fun, nostalgic and heartwarming at first, and then you realize how much you've missed it. But then there are some new surprises that have made it worth the wait. Chatting with Eric Goldberg (Louis, the jazz-playing alligator), Andreas Deja (Mama Odie, the high priestess of the Bayou, and JuJu, her seeing-eye snake) and Bruce Smith (the devious Dr. Facilier), you not only glean the joy about returning to 2D but also its importance in re-establishing the Disney legacy and a vital art form.
    full article at:
    Goldberg, Deja and Smith Talk Princess and the Frog | AWN | Animation World Network

• Banned User

An early review of the film, from Christianity Today:

The Princess and the Frog | Movies & TV | Christianity Today

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Posted: Sat., Nov. 28, 2009, 8:02am PT

Disney’s exclusive run of its new hand-drawn animated feature "The Princess and the Frog," set to go wide on Dec. 11, drew an estimated $277,000 from two sites for a running three-day domestic take of $707,630.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011885.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    An early review of the film, from Christianity Today:

The Princess and the Frog | Movies & TV | Christianity Today

Interesting article. Thanks Retro. As for myself I think it's a good thing that Madam Odie promotes trying to find strength within yourself. I think too often now parents, teachers and society in general finds excuses for children instead of teaching them to overcome obstacles and work past them. Instead of challenging children to succeed despite things like ADD they are excuses as to why those kids can't be expected to perform at the same level as other children. Society could certainly use more people that help themselves as opposed to sitting around blaming everyone else for their lot in life and feeling entitled to other people fixing the problems for them.

I too see the exploitation of women as troubling but it depends on how it is handled. If Lottie is shown to be wrong, foolish and ultimately not rewarded by trying to marry the prince then it's a good example of what not to do. Tiana is certainly punished for succumbing to temptation to take a short cut to the money she wants. I think that it falls under the cheaters never prosper or sometimes the fastest way to get someplace is not the best way category. I guess we won't know till we see it though.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Well I saw the movie this morning and I really liked it. I loved the music and I loved the main story line. I won't say it to ruin it. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    Interesting article. Thanks Retro. As for myself I think it's a good thing that Madam Odie promotes trying to find strength within yourself.
    I'm guessing you missed the fact that the article was coming from a particular philosophical viewpoint, given the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    I think too often now parents, teachers and society in general finds excuses for children instead of teaching them to overcome obstacles and work past them. Instead of challenging children to succeed despite things like ADD they are excuses as to why those kids can't be expected to perform at the same level as other children. Society could certainly use more people that help themselves as opposed to sitting around blaming everyone else for their lot in life and feeling entitled to other people fixing the problems for them.
    Yeah, again, I think you missed where the reviewers were coming from. Some elements of the concept of American self-reliance are at odds with elements of Christian theology, as the article rather pointedly made clear in its final paragraph:

Sure, this is the message of just about every family film that has come down the pike since the dawn of cinema. But to see it presented in a context that evokes the style of Christianity, Mama Odie's song serves as a stark reminder as to how the American values of self-reliance diverge from the Christian message of humble submission to external grace. Just because something looks and sounds beautiful doesn't make it gospel.
    I must admit, although I don't know of any personally, I would imagine that at least some practitioners of Voudon might also take some offense at the depiction of their religion in the film as well.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney's 2D toon "The Princess and the Frog" saw nice numbers as it opened in two theaters in Gotham and Los Angeles, grossing $1.1 million for the five days and $712,000 for the weekend, for a screen average of $571,179 and $355,794, respectively.

Tickets for "Princess," which expands nationwide Dec. 11, were a pricey $50, $30 and $20 and included a special event where kids could meet real-life animators and princesses.

'New Moon' wins Thanksgiving box office - Entertainment News, Front Page, Media - Variety

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I'm guessing you missed the fact that the article was coming from a particular philosophical viewpoint, given the source.

Yeah, again, I think you missed where the reviewers were coming from. Some elements of the concept of American self-reliance are at odds with elements of Christian theology, as the article rather pointedly made clear in its final paragraph:

I must admit, although I don't know of any personally, I would imagine that at least some practitioners of Voudon might also take some offense at the depiction of their religion in the film as well.
    I didn't miss anything. I just don't agree with it. I see where they are coming from and I think they are wrong. I think the things that they think are bad are actually good. But there is a lot about the messages of Christianity that I don't agree with.

I haven't seen enough of the movie to know if it's going to be offensive to alternative religions yet.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'The Princess and the Frog' received 8 nominations including Best Animated Feature for the 2009 37th annual Annie Awards from ASIFA-Hollywood to be held on February 6, 2010.

Full list of nominees at:

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1280...ds-2009-a.html

• IPAC

Post Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

Last edited by ewo1992; 12-03-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast