Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 398
  1. #106

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    233

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    to be honest, i didn't see THE FIRST PLOT THAT WAS SCRAPPED as racist and im black. if you think about it, didn't Cinderella work like a slave for her mother-in-law? and lived in the basement. i think the race-bating critics need to chill. for gods sake we are talking about Disney, for gods sake a women bit an apple and went into a coma!!

    but to be even more honest... im just SOOO HAPPY TO SEE A 2-D MOVIE AGAIN!!!
    Last edited by rob3gd; 09-01-2009 at 11:40 AM.

  2. #107

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    but to be even more honest... im just SOOO HAPPY TO SEE A 2-D MOVIE AGAIN!!!
    In the meantime, 'Ponyo' is still in theatres. Now in it's third week the film has pulled in $11 million+ from 880 theatres.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

  3. #108

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    The 44th Odyssey Ball
    Friday, November 13, 2009 Special preview event

    Dreams Come True: Art of the Classic Fairy Tales
    from the Walt Disney Studio
    November 15, 2009 - March 14, 2010

    The New Orleans Museum of Art will present Dreams Come True: Art of the Classic Fairy Tales from the Walt Disney Studio, a major exhibition featuring more than 600 original artworks that shaped legendary animated features including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

    Dreams Come True: Art of the Classic Fairy Tales from the Walt Disney Studio also will include artwork from the upcoming Walt Disney Animation Studios musical, The Princess and The Frog, an animated comedy from the creators of The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, set in New Orleans and due for release at Christmas 2009.
    Friday, November 13, 2009

    Patron Party · 7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
    General Party · 9:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.

    Black Tie

    Premiering

    Dreams Come True: Art of the Classic Fairy Tales from the Walt Disney Studio


    tickets avaialble at:
    NOMA | The Forty-Fourth Odyssey Ball

  4. #109

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    to be honest, i didn't see THE FIRST PLOT THAT WAS SCRAPPED as racist and im black.
    Is your singular opinion as a person of color supposed to void any other opinion held by any other person of color, Rob? One Black person doesn't think something's racist, therefore, it isn't, no matter what any other Black person says?

    Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    if you think about it, didn't Cinderella work like a slave for her mother-in-law? and lived in the basement.
    Interfamilial slavery amongst vaguely 18th/19th Century Europeans of unnamed nationality in another fairy tale is not really germane to this film's storyline, its place, or its time, not to mention the fact that interfamilial slavery wasn't exactly commonplace anyway, and also that there's no group sense memory amongst modern-day Europeans of any widespread interfamily-based rape, terrorism, and genocide in the last 200 years.

    To give you an idea of what I mean, would you also say that you didn't find it unsettling, at the very least, if Disney's next animated film was about a happy-go-lucky little Hungarian Jewish girl who worked as a nanny for a wealthy German family in early 1930s Prague (assuming you're aware of the history involved in that scenario)? Of course not. Same reasoning at play here with this film.

    My point is that it's not a bad thing to be sensitive to racial differences, nor is it wrong to desire fairness and understanding, and it's insulting to infer that it is. The only people who take offense at the notion of being sensitive to race are those who profit from being insensitive to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post
    i think the race-bating critics need to chill.
    Wow, Rob - "race-bating critics"? So anyone who may have reservations about the film or questions Disney's awareness levels is to be demeaned and discarded as just a mere troublemaker? Is anyone who seeks justice, fairness, and awareness nothing more than a "race baiter"? Is there something wrong with withholding judgement on a film until it's seen, but using the opportunity of its anticipation to discuss an important yet delicate matter about this society, and Disney's role in it?

    Are we to understand that Disney and its films are somehow separated from the reality we all inhabit, and thus immune from any sort of criticism or challenge? Is Disney above reproach? Is Disney somehow allowed to be insensitive about race? If so, why?

  5. #110

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Dreams Come True Update

    Everything you need to know about
    the major exhibition of
    original Disney artworks opening Nov. 15


    For questions on anything related to Dreams Come True not covered below, please contact the Museum at (504) 658-4100 or e-mail us at [email protected].

    Audio Tour
    Renowned actor and New Orleans resident John Goodman, the voice of Eli "Big Daddy" La Bouff in The Princess and the Frog, will narrate a self-guided Acoustiguide audio tour of Dreams Come True, included in the price of admission.


  6. #111

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    Either I'm being misunderstood or people just aren't reading what I'm posting thoughtfully. I'm not saying she IS a token character, I'm saying that constantly only associating her with her skin color reduces her to that and weakens her identity by making her nothing more than a token in Disney's library.
    Oh I see. You're upset because you weren't invited to the party and think there's no reason to celebrate.

    Basically, your argument is akin to the grouchy old coot next door to the large family that celebrates a child's birthday, and your response is "Why do you have to keep singing and dancing about it! So the kid's another year old! Big deal! Be happy you've aged a year and get back to being quiet!"

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    As far as the historical/American culture argument, I stand by my statement that she just happens to be black. I don't know what you're argument against that means.
    It means that nobody "just happens" to be anything. Human existence is not some random, wild accident. We are all here because of the people who came before us, and that needs to be respected, not tossed aside like so much navel lint. It's also saying that the "just happens to be" argument is a belittlement of people's origins, and is akin to saying that you "just happen" to be human, or that you "just happen" to be ambulatory, or that you "just happen" to breathe.

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    Especially considering that the film take place in the US. Why not says she's the first American Princess? I guess that would denounce Pocahontas, but you get my point. Her race is not part of the storyline,
    Of course it is! So is her gender! She is the focal part of the storyline. Her race, like her gender, is part of who she is. You cannot separate one's race or gender from one's identity.

    Tiana's race is as much a part of her story as Lilo's is in her story. It may not necessarily be an overt element of the plot, but it is a major element of the character and informs who they are.

    Saying that Tiana is the first American princess wouldn't "denounce" Pocahontas (you sure you understand what that word means?), but it would conveniently ignore Pocahontas.

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    and if I were the first black person to do something significant and my appearance was all people looked at, I would be very offended.
    And this is where the misunderstanding comes in. Being African American is not strictly a matter of physical appearance, anymore than being any other ethnicity is strictly a matter of physical appearance. It is not just about looks. Nobody is questioning whether or not Tiana is a good looking character. Nobody is questioning whether or not this is a visually attractive film.

    But this is where I find the discussion interesting. The assumption here in your argument is that, per the "colorblind" party line, the ONLY thing that separates white people from people of color is physical appearance, nothing more. And, quite honestly, that's both a laughable argument (because it's remarkably silly, not to mention incredibly naive), and a rather disturbing argument, because it completely and utterly negates the histories of people of color, and assumes that all Americans of all colors share the exact same ethnic and social history....which is simply ludicrous. Sorry, kids, but the world did not begin when YOU were born.

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    Not only because it gives the impression that one person can represent an entire group of individuals,
    Yeah, well, humanity has been utilizing individuals to represent groups for a very long time now, and it's really a pretty popular idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    but because it shows no progression.
    Wow, wait. Wait. Really? Seriously? Disney announces and puts into production their first animated feature with an African American female lead character, and any and all celebration and discussion of that fact is a sign of a LACK of progress?

    Did you miss the part where it was said that this was, overall, a GOOD thing? Do you really need to have it spelled out for you in such obvious terms?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    The real sign of acceptance
    Wait, wait, wait. "Acceptance"? Acceptance of WHAT? Who needs acceptance, and what do they need accepted? And where?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    will be when people can see a character and their race not even be a thought.
    When human physicality becomes completely invisible to the human eye, this will be achieved.

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    Which should be the goal for this character.
    Why should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    I'm not saying it's a realistic expectation, but it should be expectation nonetheless.
    Kinda like Bernie Madoff's expectation of not getting caught, no doubt. But again, why should it be an expectation? And who should hold that expectation? People who enjoy being rudely disappointed?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    As far as Mulan and Pocahontas: Pocahontas would qualify and as Princess. Mulan, I hate to say it, but perhaps they are just playing the diversity card. I don't know
    "Playing the diversity card" is coded language, and you've just shown your hand, sir.

  7. #112

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Quote Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
    Personally, if I could say so myself I am tired of the race discussion overall. If it is mentioned in articles, why is it always taken as a negative thing? I don't find it weird and at the end of the day, I am just happy that they are branching out with another race for a classic Disney film. Why can't it just be excitement, instead of constant criticism? This is a film for children and I know they will enjoy it regardless, so I don't see the huge issue.
    It's not so much that it's taken as "weird," but rather simply a long overdue first.

    The criticism, in most cases, is just that it has taken Disney too long to come to this point, and should have done this years ago. In other cases, the criticism, where it is, is that in the overall scheme of things, this film really doesn't matter much, and that, even though Disney's late to the party, given their track record, they won't do as exceptional a job as some people might claim they will. Other, more narrowed criticism is that, yet again, this is a film with Black characters, and featuring the hired voice work of Black actors, but ultimately is not a Black story, by Black people, for Black people (and anyone else who may be interested in the stories of Black people), and as such, does not present a genuinely Black perspective, but rather the perspective of Europeans imagining what it's like to be Black.

    Keep in mind that there's educated criticism, cultural criticism, and popular criticism, and not all of it is negative. Plenty of people are looking forward to this film.

    Personally, I'm looking forward to the film, too. I'm of the opinion that yes, it's long overdue, and yes, Disney should have taken this direction at least a quarter century ago or more, but better late than never. I'm not entirely cynical that the characterizations will be questionable, weak, or false, but I am cautious and will reserve any judgment until I see the film. That said, I do think the film VISUALLY is going to be a real treat.

  8. #113

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'




    November 25 - December 13
    Tickets for the Exclusive engagements at The Ziegfeld Theatre in New York and in Los Angeles at The Walt Disney Studios available at:

    The Princess and the Frog Ticketing

    The Film Opens Nationwide December 11
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-08-2009 at 02:07 PM.

  9. #114

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Considering that no one has seen the movie, they can't prove that it is racist to any extent. So until then all this "racism" stuff is just pure hearsay.

  10. #115

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,657
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post

    Love the pic .

  11. #116

    • Making my own Mousekteers
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arizona... too far from Disneyland
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    FYI, Yahoo is launching a new preview today at 4:30pm

    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

  12. #117

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Posts
    13,137

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'


  13. #118

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado, US
    Posts
    2,110

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    OK, that second trailer makes me want to see the film.

  14. #119

    • Making my own Mousekteers
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arizona... too far from Disneyland
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    This trailer makes me nervous. I think it looks interesting but all those songs about not being judged on their appearance are making me shift in my seat and brace myself.

    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

  15. #120

    • Just the Facts
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bridgeport, CT
    Posts
    93

    Re: 'The Princess and The Frog'

    Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    This trailer makes me nervous. I think it looks interesting but all those songs about not being judged on their appearance are making me shift in my seat and brace myself.
    Keeping my hopes up, I just pre-ordered the CD.

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Princess and the Frog Trailer is HERE
    By Brisal73 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 12:08 PM
  2. The Princess and the Frog
    By Barbossa in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
  3. First Look at The Frog Princess
    By NeverNeverland in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM
  4. 'The Princess and the Frog'
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 08:07 AM
  5. 'The Princess and The Frog' update
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •