Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Sherlock Holmes' 12/25/09

Is That You, Sherlock?

Alex Bailey/Warner Brothers Pictures
    Is that Sherlock Holmes with blood on his bare chest?
    Robert Downey Jr. brings a different texture to the title character in a forthcoming film.

By Sarah Lyall
    The New York Times
    Published: January 21, 2009
    LONDON

IN a filthy, dank labyrinth of rooms below the streets of the East End, Sherlock Holmes was solving a case. That is, Robert Downey Jr. playing Holmes in the forthcoming film "Sherlock Holmes," was engaged in hand-to-hand, foot-to-stomach combat with a very big and very bad villain (Robert Maillet). Bam! Pow! Ouch! Both characters would end up knocked out on the floor, along with Holmes’s trusty sidekick, Dr. John Watson, played by Jude Law.

Filmed in December, the scene presented a sharp corrective to the popular cinematic view of Holmes, at least the one propagated by the old films featuring the wonderfully named British actor Basil Rathbone. That Holmes occasionally wielded guns, leapt out of carriages and rushed through the fog with Errol Flynnesque panache, but mostly he was a giant brain inside a tweed suit, sexlessly debonair in the way Hollywood liked its leading men in the 1930s and 1940s. His Watson, played by Nigel Bruce, was a lumpy, good-natured, birdbrained foil for Holmes’s brittle brilliance.

The Sherlock Holmes of “Sherlock Holmes,” which is scheduled for release on Nov. 13, will not be wearing a deerstalker hat. Nor will he be wearing an Inverness overcoat, the kind with the dashing cloak that hangs over the shoulders as extra protection against the English rain. Sometimes — as in one fight scene — he will not even be wearing a shirt. (This gives Mr. Downey a chance to show off his admirably chiseled abs.)
    full article at:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/mo...r=1&ref=movies

Robert Downey Jr. is 'Sherlock Holmes' - 7/9/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/99...ck-holmes.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

re: 'Sherlock Holmes' 12/25/09

Downey digs Oscar adulation, but also knows it's fleeting

Posted 1h 14m ago

By Alex Bailey, Warner Bros. Pictures
    Sleuth be told: Jude Law, left, Robert Downey Jr. and
    Rachel McAdams star in Sherlock Holmes, due in November.

By Susan Wloszczyna
    USA TODAY

NEW YORK — Robert Downey Jr. is grooving on the great irony of being nominated for a supporting Oscar as Tropic Thunder's Kirk Lazarus, a pretentious Aussie actor who is so Method that he dyes his skin to play a black character.

"It's so funny to me that the role is a guy who is an Oscar-seeking moron. His whole motivation is Oscars," he says during a shooting break. He's starring in the first major big-screen version of Sherlock Holmes in more than 20 years, which moved from the streets of London to Brooklyn last month and wraps this week.

He then adds, "Irony is synonymous with pretty much everything that is going on."

If he is talking about his career, that is certainly true. At 43, Downey has gone from being an oft-brilliant yet erratic talent who bounced from rehab center to jail cell to being one of the most bankable and popular male stars around.

That he has accomplished this feat not in low-budget, high-art vehicles but in a blockbuster like Iron Man, last year's No. 2 grosser at $318 million, and in the raucously profane comedy Thunder, is fairly unprecedented.

"What I am doing is really quality films," he says. "The trend is turning back to commercial films that are actually, more often than not, where the quality happens."

That's what he is hoping for with his still-brainy yet brawnier re-imagining of England's famous Victorian sleuth, with Jude Law as a dashing Watson and Rachel McAdams as the deceptive Irene Adler. The PG-13 adventure opens this year during the competitive month of November.

"I was the picking-at-the-leftovers kid for the first 221/2 years of my career, and it changed because life is like that," he says of his good fortune after five years or so of sobriety. "Sooner or later, once you pull the one-armed bandit enough, you are going to get some gold bars."

Downey is clearly pleased that his efforts have led to his second Academy Award attempt after a lead nomination for 1992's Chaplin.
    Downey digs Oscar adulation, but also knows it's fleeting - USATODAY.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I can't wait to see this movie.

wow i never knew that there is a Sherlock Holmes movie.. i need to see this..
    just do what you think...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

No reshoot, 'Sherlock'

Warners denies Guy Ritchie was asked to revise

By Stuart Kemp
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Feb 18, 2009, 03:43 PM ET

"Sherlock Holmes"

LONDON -- Warner Bros. on Wednesday refuted reports here that claimed the studio had asked Guy Ritchie to reshoot parts of "Sherlock Holmes."

"It is not true that Warner Bros. has asked for any reshoots on 'Sherlock Holmes,' " the studio said in a statement. "The inserts and pickup shots being completed next week, which have long been part of the schedule, do not involve any cast, and are a standard part of filmmaking."

The statement was issued against the backdrop of media coverage in the U.K. on Wednesday stemming from a report in the Sun tabloid claiming that Ritchie had to recall cast members for reshoots.

"It is still early in the production process, and the studio has not yet seen the movie. Both Warner Bros. and Guy Ritchie are very pleased with the footage they have seen thus far," the studio statement read.

The movie, which completed shooting here recently, stars Robert Downey Jr. as the British sleuth, with Jude Law as his trusted sidekick Dr. Watson.

Produced for Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow, the film also stars Mark Strong as the main villain, Blackwood and Rachel McAdams as Holmes' enigmatic love interest, Irene Adler, a character who appeared in Doyle's 1891 book "A Scandal in Bohemia." Producing the film are Joel Silver, Lionel Wigram, Susan Downey and Dan Lin. Jon Berg, Ollie Madden and Elishia Holmes are overseeing for Warners.
    No reshoot, 'Sherlock'

Quote Originally Posted by whitealexander View Post
    I think that this will pale compared to Jeremy Brett's repeated performances as the sleuth from Baker St. on the Granada Television productions. I fear it will be focused on too much action, stunts and special effects.

What made Brett so brilliant in my opinion was his ability to make Holme's eccentricities believable. It is a shame that he passed away before being able to perform in all of Conan Doyle's stories (but he came close).

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'Sherlock Holmes' 12/25/09

Posted: Wed., Feb. 25, 2009, 12:35pm PT

'Holmes' sets Christmas release date

Studios mark their calendar territory

Robert Downey Jr. stars in 'Sherlock Holmes,'
    which Warners pushed back to a Christmas Day release.

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety

With 2009 under way, the major studios are beginning to finalize their release calendars for the year.

The reshuffling began last month when Sony pushed back the release of Roland Emmerich's tentpole "2012" from July 10 to Nov. 13.

On Wednesday, Warner Bros. said it was delaying the release of Guy Ritchie's Robert Downey Jr. - Jude Law topliner "Sherlock Holmes" from Nov. 13 to Dec. 25.

"Sherlock" had been set to open Nov. 20, but then Summit Entertainment announced it would bow "Twilight" sequel "New Moon" on that date.
    Christmas Day already is getting jammed up.

That's when Sony moved up the release of Hugh Grant-Sarah Jessica Parker romantic comedy "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" to Dec. 18. Maneuver took "Morgans" out of the direct path of an untitled Nancy Meyers comedy that Universal is set to open Dec. 25.

Other pics already planting a flag on Christmas Day are Disney toon "The Princess and the Frog" and Twentieth Century Fox's "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel."

In terms of competition, "Sherlock Holmes" opens one week after Fox unspools James Cameron's action-adventure "Avatar" in theaters.
    'Holmes' sets Christmas release date - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Posted: Tue., Mar. 31, 2009, 4:13pm PT

LAS VEGAS -- Warner Bros. and Disney whetted the appetites of exhibitors at ShoWest on Tuesday with footage of Buzz Lightyear, Scrooge, Harry Potter and a slew of 3-D extravaganzas, as both studios unveiled extended clips of their upcoming titles.
    Things kicked off in the ayem, when Warner topper Alan Horn showed off four of his 2009 pics.

Director McG unspooled five minutes of "Terminator: Salvation"; helmer Todd Phillips intro'd a trailer of the R-rated comedy "The Hangover," and Horn debuted an extended clip from "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

But the morning's biggest response was reserved for Robert Downey Jr., who recounted how he got involved with "Sherlock Holmes" -- "for an hour and a half after 'Iron Man' came out, I could do anything I wanted," he said -- before showing off the Christmas film's first extended trailer.
    Studios tease 3-D at ShoWest - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Dude. Who knew Sherlock was so hot underneath that trench coat?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz View Post
    I think that this will pale compared to Jeremy Brett's repeated performances as the sleuth from Baker St. on the Granada Television productions. I fear it will be focused on too much action, stunts and special effects.

What made Brett so brilliant in my opinion was his ability to make Holme's eccentricities believable. It is a shame that he passed away before being able to perform in all of Conan Doyle's stories (but he came close).
    Brett was indeed an excellent Holmes and as close to the books as you would probably ever get. But his performance and the series in general lost its way as it reached the end and it all looks a little dated now.

this movie is a different kettle of fish and could be described as a Holmes of its time (like Rathbone and Cushing prior to Brett). I am a great Holmes fan and look forward to this movie enormously.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by whitealexander View Post
    You are right someone should have thought of making a Sherlock Holmes movie years ago.... The books and stories are great.

All kidding aside. I wonder who many Sherlock Holmes movies have been made? Easily more then James Bond. Does he hold the record of have more films about him than any other character?

EDIT:

My own question went and made me look:
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0026631/

If you count TV the IMDB has Holmes at 202 shows.
    Last edited by ni_teach; 05-18-2009 at 09:01 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sherlock Holmes trailers and video clips on Yahoo! Movies

The trailer, available for viewing.

• Honorary Dapper Dan

Ugh. This looks awful. As much as I love RDJ and Jude Law, I don't think I can accept crack-addict, zombie-mystery-solving Sherlock Holmes.
    "I can stand the sight of worms,
    and look at microscopic germs,
    but technicolor pachyderms
    are really too much for me."

Im excited to watch this movie...
    thanE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast