Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: BRAND NEW Goblet of Fire trailer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    I was lurking around in imdb.com today. No Dursleys in this new movie. I always enjoyed getting a little laugh from Dudley. Oh well. For all they have to put in this movie, I'll live with it!!

Spoiler
    The Dursley's are not in the movie at ALL- it opens with Harry at the Weasley's. There is also NO Dobby or Winky. I don't know which one upsets me more!

• Again! Again! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Spoiler
    The Dursley's are not in the movie at ALL- it opens with Harry at the Weasley's. There is also NO Dobby or Winky. I don't know which one upsets me more!
    Oh, yeah. I actually knew that. It's all over in the website stuff on the movies. They aren't in it because they left out the whole S.P.E.W. thing. Again, I'm OK with leaving out little things if it doesn't pertain to the story. But in Azkaban, I thought Cuaron left out a lot of important details. Keep the details, leave out the little things.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Spoiler

Really?! Wow, that's interesting. Well, I'm not surprised considering its the biggest book of all of them, although I will still pay money to go to a 3-4 hour movie.

• Rock Star Minion

That trailer looks awesome!
    I think I'll go get in line.

Do note that the plot points that have to be in the book -- all tasks of the TwiWizard tournament, tons of Mad-Eye Moody and Rita Skeeter, Yule Ball, the great climax, etc. -- forced a lot of combining and cutting down of the rest.

(Just in case )
    Spoiler
    Taking out Winky seems a bit of a problem, unless Crouch Sr takes Crouch Jr to the QWC.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by sediment

(Just in case )
    Spoiler
    Taking out Winky seems a bit of a problem, unless Crouch Sr takes Crouch Jr to the QWC.
    I had totally forgotten about that, that is an important part of the story, I imagine they will have to include it, unless they change it but I doubt it.

BTW Hey sediment, nice to see you.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    BTW Hey sediment, nice to see you.
    Nice to be seen.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    Really?! Wow, that's interesting. Well, I'm not surprised considering its the biggest book of all of them, although I will still pay money to go to a 3-4 hour movie.
    At nearly 1000 pages, Order of the Phoenix is the biggest book of them all. I can't even imagine how they are going to do that. Either A) They will have to trim down a lot of it B) It will be in more than one part (unlikely) or C) It will be one very long (and probably very exciting) movie. Personally, I'd rather take a 3.5 hour movie that is really good rather than a 2 hour movie that's been severely trimmed.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Again! Again! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    At nearly 1000 pages, Order of the Phoenix is the biggest book of them all. I can't even imagine how they are going to do that. Either A) They will have to trim down a lot of it B) It will be in more than one part (unlikely) or C) It will be one very long (and probably very exciting) movie. Personally, I'd rather take a 3.5 hour movie that is really good rather than a 2 hour movie that's been severely trimmed.

-Michael
    Don't be surprised if they split it into two parts (like the did with Kill Bill). Mike Newell wanted to split Goblet into 2 parts, but Cuaron advised not to. So, they may just split OotP into 2 parts. Who knows.
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Original Mice-Chatter

HUGE Spoilers- this is a synopsis of the entire movie- with detailed info. I have read it and don't think it ruins anything- but that's me-

(written by a teenage girl- which explains some of her opinions LOL)

Spoiler
    My friend invited me to an unnamed advanced screening he'd gotten tickets for at the "Fantastic Four" premiere. We got there two hours ahead of time, waited a while, then they took all of our phones, purses, cameras, etc. We got wanded, went through security, got a stamp on our hands, sat down...MIKE NEWELL WAS THERE! But I didn't speak with him--no one really did. Then, at two in the afternoon, they told us we were the first audience to see "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"! Most of us had guessed by then, because they wanted 8-14 year olds mostly, and then some other groups, like sixteen-year-olds (me and my friend). Anyways, a huge cheer went up, and then the lights dimmed. After the movie was over, we didn't see any credits, the lights came up, and we had to fill out a two-page survey.
    SYNOPSIS
    It starts out with Nagini the snake weaving through the grass, and it's the first chapter of the fourth book, where the old caretaker is making tea. He sees a light on in the old Riddle house, we get a shot or two of the very important graveyard, then we stumble upon Wormtail and Voldemort (hidden by a chair) and-get this-- BARTY CROUCH JR.! They're clearly planning the whole Moody chirade.

You know what happens next-- all of that was very true to the book, aside from the plot device of Barty Crouch being there. Then Harry wakes up, we realize it was a dream, he and Hermione and the Weaselys (Molly and Percy aren't even IN this movie) go to the World Cup with Amos and Cedric Diggory (the latter of which jumps out of a tree and is SO PERFECT-- very handsome!), and we see a nice CG (computer graphics) shot of the tents. Basically, the Quidditch World Cup is VERY BRIEF to establish the character of Viktor Krum, then it turns to evening time. The twins and Hermione are teasing Ron about his thing for Viktor Krum when Mr. Weasely tells them all to run. The entire camp of tents is burned down, and we see Death Eaters for the first time. VERY SCARY. We do see some Muggles in the sky, suspended in green flames, but that's all we get. Their masks are half-skulls that cover all but their mouths, and their robes are basically Klu Klux robes in black. Harry gets trampled and passes out. When he wakes up, he sees Barty Crouch Jr. (Winky the House-Elf is totally cut out of the movie, as is Dobby) shoot the Dark Mark into the sky and we're introduced to Barty Crouch Sr. getting all freaked out.

Blah blah blah, train ride later...Harry sends out a message to Sirius, and the moment the trio arrives at school we see the flying horses of Beauxbatons and the ship of Durmstrang arrive as well back at Hogwarts. Sometime during this, and I'm sorry-- can't remember if it's before or after we see the ship and carriage of the other schools-- Dumbledore gives his typical cryptic speech. Then he talks about the Triwizard Tournament, and introduces first the Beauxbatons girls (who do a very odd little simpering dance and flit around like ballerinas) and the Durmstrang boys (who do something very weird with kung-fu sticks that spark everywhere). Then Moody arrives, and he and Dumbledore greet one another.

Okay, okay. Then we meet the goblet (of fire). Then we see the boys back in the dormitory, I think. There aren't any classes in this movie-- except for Moody's Unforgiveable Curses lesson--- just times between them, in halls and study hall (with Snape- VERY FUNNY scene there) and mealtimes. Okay, so everyone is gathered around the Goblet at one point, and we see Fleur and Krum and Cedric (again, *sigh*) enter the tournament. Everyone claps, Fred and George do their dumb yet hysterical little thing and grow beards, Hermione is annoyed. At this point, my chronology is getting a little confused. Okay, so the whole part where the Goblet coughs up names is pretty close to the book. Everyone is pissed off at Harry because they think he entered it himself. There is a brief scene between Moody and Dumbledore and McGonagall and Snape in some odd little back-room while the contestants wait in another weird back-room behind the Great Hall. We see the Pensieve for the first time. Dumbledore puts the memory of reading Harry's name out of the Goblet into it.

Ron and Harry have an ongoing fight that lasts three or four whole scenes. Ron is mad because Harry didn't tell him he entered or how he did it and always wants to be the hero, yadda yadda yadda. He makes some comment about how he's "Ronald Weasely, Harry Potter's stupid friend". Sad. Then we see the infamous "POTTER STINKS" buttons, although I couldn't, because the CGI wasn't finished. Ron and Harry are still fighting. Hermione tells Harry that Ron saw Hagrid and told him to tell Harry to go meet him (and it's even more confusing- and thus, funnier- than that!), and Harry goes with Madame Maxime (who looks like a transvestite and is even taller than Hagrid) and Hagrid to see the dragons. He tells Cedric about the dragons. We meet Rita Skeeter. SHE IS MARVELOUS- PERFECTION, really. So true to the book, in my humble opinion.

Fred and George take bets continually throughout the movie on Harry's life. The contestants choose dragons. Hermione hugs Harry because she thinks he's going to die, and the first task begins. We only see Harry's turn. It's painfully long and action-packed, with a nice chase scene between the dragon and Harry on his broom.

There is a party in Griffindor later that night for Harry.Cedric tells Harry to take the egg into the bathroom. He does. Moaning Myrtle is actually IN THE BATH with Harry and keeps peeking under the bubbles. We hear the mermaids, finally.

The second task was almost finished in terms of CGI, and it was quite pretty. NEVILLE gives Harry the Gillyweed. The grindylows were scary. Harry gets second place for saving Gabrielle AND Ron. The four hostages look very waxy- it's not the actors, but some weird floaty mannequins, it seems.

Ron asks Fleur out, we see him all pale and queasy after, Cho rejects Harry but sincerely apologizes in the Owlery. There are lots of cute scenes where Ron and Harry complain about not having dates, and Fred asks Angelina in a very cute way similar to the book.

THERE IS A DANCING LESSON SCENE. McGonagall makes all the Griffindors take dance lessons! The YULE BALL IS FANTABULOUS. Emma Watson looks predictably gorgeous. Ron is jealous. The Patil sisters get cheated out of a nice night. The band playing is clearly NOT the Weird Sisters, considering they are all guys.

A scene between Harry and Hermione talking about Krum later...

Barty Crouch Sr. is found dead by the trio and Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest.

The third task--okay, the sphynx is cut completely, and there's a weird mist that bewitches Krum. Some brambles take Fleur away, and Harry saves Cedric from the same fate. They Portkey to the graveyard, and the rest is totally like it was in the book. Virtually nothing is changed. Voldemort, played here by Ralph Fiennes, is BRILLIANT. The scene where Wormtail cuts off his hand and cuts Harry is VERY CREEPY. So much so that I wouldn't take younger kids to this movie, no way. It's darker than the third in terms of cinematography.

Harry won't let go of Cedric when he brings him back to his father-- he's just crying over his dead body. Pleasant.

We discover that Moody is really Barty Crouch Jr, etc.

It ends with Dumbledore giving a service for Cedric--black banners adorn the Great Hall and everyone is sad. Then the trio talk about how everything is going to be different now that Voldemort is back, and there are jokes about how Harry and Ron probably won't write to Hermione. The end.

OPINION and OVERALL WOW! This movie is by far the greatest movie we've had yet! I have a lot of love for the third, because Sirius and Lupin are my favorite characters, but I can't deny the absolute fabulousness of this one. The hormones are running even higher and this installment- even higher than they were in the book. I hate to say it, but even though they kept in all of the great Ron/Hermione issues (i.e. Krum), there's a lot of Harry/Hermione going on. Fred, George, and Neville all play MUCH LARGER parts. The romance throughout is just terrific. I also really loved the way Rupert Grint and Daniel Radcliffe acted during their fight over Harry's being in the Tournament. Also, Daniel Radcliffe's on-screen crying abilities have REALLY IMPROVED since "Prisoner of Azkaban". Having said that, the ending is wrapped up way too quickly with virtually NO EXPLANATION as to the death of Barty Crouch Sr. and everything, and they cut out the wonderful Hospital Wing part at the end of the book where Sirius meets the Weasely clan and Dumbledore tells him to lie low at Lupin's. Bah, humbug. Anyways, all in all, aside from maybe the last morbid ten minutes, a really enjoyable, reasonably true-to-the-book movie. Very action-packed, as we've been told, but also very romantic. LOVELY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Still sounds fabulous, I'm sure I would have liked to see some of the scenes that were cut out, assuming the teenagers post is accurate. I'm really looking forward to it. To bad they couldnt bring Dobby back, its not like they couldn't afford the bill to CGI him in. LOL

I can't wait!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1

-Michael
    D. Make it an HBO series.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    D. Make it an HBO series.

Like North and South!!!

• Again! Again! Again!

It sounds like a lot of CG stuff isn't done, so maybe they just hadn't put it in yet. They may also have a lot done and ready to put in. It may depend on the feedback they get. There's still a couple months left. One thing I've always been bummed about it the lack of Peeves in the movies. We'll just have to wait and see!! Sounds like it's gonna be good though! Thanks for that Nephy!
    I bring the magic!!!

• Diamond In The Rough

I like the look of this trailer ALOT - Moody/Krum/Rita Skeeter/Voldemort all look great, and the Yule Ball looks excellent.
    I'm not so concerned about missing elements as although it's a long book, it's a pretty tight story at it's core.
    I think Azkaban will go down as the film with most "important" elements cut.
    (And it bugs me the way Curan felt the need to change Hogwarts geography so much - why move Hagrid's hut and the Whomping willow?)
    My fave movie so far is Chamber - Richard Harris rules as Dumbledore.
    Gambon doesn't quite fit the "pretending-to-be-slightly-eccentric-old-man-but-really-most-powerful-wizard-ever" vibe I get from the books and Harris' performance.

Roll on November!!

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by PeaJay18
    Richard Harris rules as Dumbledore.
    Gambon doesn't quite fit the "pretending-to-be-slightly-eccentric-old-man-but-really-most-powerful-wizard-ever" vibe I get from the books and Harris' performance.

Roll on November!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way, although the more I watch him the more he grows on me, maybe the actor is finding his niche with the character. Richard Harris RIP was perfect at it I will agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast