Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Corpse Bride - the reviews

http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=7984

Rotten tomatoes gave it 79%... ...so far. It could get better or worse closer to the wide release date.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/corpse_bride/

Official Movie Website

Overall it appears that, though not a homerun of a hit, Corpse Bride is a good movie that hits it's target demograph without distancing a wider audience with it's macabre tone and subject matter.

The film opens today in limited and on September 23 in wide release.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals. ”
    Homer Jay Simpson

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Corpse Bride - the reviews

Thanks for info Reading now Hugs

• Still wants to be a cat!

Need a Micechatter review, anyone planning on seeing this soon?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• e komo mai

I saw 'Corpse Bride' today and although I like Tim Burton and I love the art direction of this film and I love the cast... the movie to me was DOA. It bored me to tears. I almost fell asleep... and I NEVER fall asleep during movies. (Some weird part of me thinks it's rude to do so.) It was so drab and practically black and white that I lost interest quick.
    I loved the idea and appreciated a lot of it. But on a whole, it was rather dull.
    :shrug:

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I agree GC. I am a HUGE Burton and Elfman fan and to me it didnt get interesting until nearly the end of the movie, than BAM it was all done! And personally I didnt like the music. None of the songs stood out at ALL for me to even consider buying the soundtrack.

It was visually stunning, the animation was awesome and the sets were awesome and such, but aside from that I wasn't happy with it. I was SO looking forward to this movie and feel so let down

But I must say that from the people I have spoken to, they either loved it or didnt. Really no in betweeners at all.

Sadly, it wasn't what I had hoped. I went in hoping for another Nightmare. Don't do this, if you're going to Corpse Bride. I know the real world was supposed to be boring and similar, but it was overly boring. The underworld had more potential to be exciting but once Bone Daddy finished his song...the movie sorta went down hill. Go see it just to see it, but you might be dissapointed.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I actually loved it... Nothing beats TNBC.. but it was still good! I can;t belive they do that with puppets!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Rainicorn.

I'm not a Burton fangirl like a lot of people watching it (it really is a niche audience, much like Serenity, I feel). It wasn't as good or extraordinary as TNBC. The music is lackluster in places, and the pacing is sometimes off. It's still cute and fun. It's worth a viewing or a rent when it comes out, though.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Reaver of Souls

I'm gonna buck the system here, and rave about this movie. No, it wasn't as fun and silly as Nightmare. No, it didn't have a charismatic leading man and over-the-top characters like Nightmare. But to me, that was a good thing.

This movie is a love story, pure and simple. A twisted, odd love story, yes, but a love story. I don't see this as a movie for kids, so I wasn't expecting the joviality of Nightmare. Maybe that's why I loved it so much. The voice work was fantastic, and Bonham-Carter's voice is as sultry at times as she is herself. Depp is wonderful, as always. He is more sofspoken that he was in Edward, which is no small feat.

I love the music. I bought the soundtract the day after I saw it. Danny got a chance to stretch his wings a bit, and move into a Jazz feel that he rarely get a chance to play. And for a jazz fan like him, that's a wonderful thing. I admit, it's not his best genre of music, but he performs with such abandon, it's just fun to hear.

The animation is far superior to Nightmare, which is also a noteworthy accomplishment. As good as Nightmare was, it never could have pulled off the many close-ups that Corpse did. The facial expressions, the eyes, the body language, all improved over Nightmare.

Don't go into this movie expecting another Nightmare, because it's not. It's very different. But just as good, in it's own way. These two movies are apples and oranges in my opinion. Comparing the two on anything except visual style is pointless.

I loved it. I'll be seeing it again, and I'll buy the DVD. Give it a chance...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I second what Reaver said!!! Cheer!!!!

• /sigh

Coming from one of the very few that did not like Nightmare...I really liked Corpse Bride. Yes, a bit slow, but very enjoyable. A beautiful yet odd love triangle that pulls the heart strings. Very touching ending, too, might I add.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Blog Entries

^ Indeed it was!

~

• šoš Tom šoš

Corpse Bride is not the wedding night she was expecting. The film itself, the style, the genre, the direction and the music are nearly flawless. It was the story itself that seemed to be the failing point of this film and fail it did indeed.

Burton's attempt at a romantic film between a living man not quite full of life and the lively corpse bride is an akward subject before the film even begins but where it really looses steam is that approach to the story. One might accept this painfully morbid premise under the guise of a romantic comedy but Corpse Bride plays more like the longful musings of a man dramatically fascinated with death in a rather unhealthy manner. Long have mused that Burton and Elfman re-team to bring Oingo Boingo music to the Broadway stage in a morbid comedy about a live man and his dead girlfriend but this was not the musical I was looking for.

More over Elfman's contribution to this film felt like a stiffled sad ghost of his former extrodinary musical talent. Only one song grabs the audience and plays for an enjoyable moment when our hero played by Johnny Deep first arrives in the land of the dead. Otherwise the music is forced and lacks the old jive of Elfman's more famous music especially that of NMBC.

To the credit of Burton his greatist achievement was matching the look and feel of German expressionist films in his rendition of the land of the living. Victor's character borrows largely from the look of the sonombulist in "Cabinet of Doctor Calagary" and acts nearly as stiffly as the formerly mentioned horror icon.

The film may be the apple to Nightmare's orange but it can be assured it was a rotten apple well before it was sprung from the mind of a director who seems to be slipping in his age.

• šoš Tom šoš

Accidental double post- bloody hell.
    Last edited by ah schucks; 10-09-2005 at 09:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes, but it's still unique in my mind... And I really enjoyed it. Yeah I noticed the music wasn't as good as TNBC, but I went in with an open mind, and wasn't gonna compare it!

~

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast