Talking Disney Artwork Brings the Mouse to Sacramento

Today, February 7, in Sacramento (State Capitol of California, for those who might not have known) Disney revealed their new "Destinations" painting. This event, started a few years back includes Disney icons in global destinations, and has been using Sacramento as it's backdrop for the last three years. This painting, "King of the River" by Rodel Gonzalez, features Mickey, Minnie, Goofy in a rowboat and Belle, Cinderella, and Captain Hook in another, with the Tower Bridge and the Delta King paddle boat in the background.

"They took a little Disney license," says Troy Carlson, owner of the Stage Nine movie memorabilia store in Old Sac and the guy responsible for convincing Disney to include Sacramento in its city-based series. Previous editions have shown Disney characters soaring above the Tower Bridge and arriving by train in Old Sacramento.

The event took place on the very Delta King that is featured in the painting. Paintings and lithographs of "King of the River" were on sale include several other piece of Disney themed artwork. A signing and meet-and-greet were the artist, Rodel Gonzalez, Paige O'Hara, the Disney voice of Belle, and Eddie Carroll, the voice of Jiminy Cricket.

Re: Disney Artwork Brings the Mouse to Sacramento

I knew of this, but had already planned a trip to SF for a friend. I didn't know Paige O'Hera was going to be there though (someone thought Jodi Benson was though). If my month wasn't so busy, I'd have pushed the SF thing to Sunday instead. Oh well. Thanks for the pictures.