Thread: Disney homeware

• Rock The World

Question Disney homeware

Hello fellow Mouse Chatters.
    For years now, I've been planning on giving my kitchen a Mickey Mouse makeover. I was going to paint it in his colours, and buy some of that gorgeous crockery available in Lilly's Boutique on Main Street USA. Sadly, my girlfriend has put her foot down and told me she will take a potato peeler to my more sensitive parts before she lets me do such a thing.
    However, by way of a compromise, she is going to let me decorate one of our rooms with a pirate theme. As POTC has always been my favourite ride, that's fine with me, but Pirate-themed décor is pretty hard to come by. So here's my question - does Disney have any official POTC homeware available? I've had a little look at the Disney Store website, but can't find much. I know it's easy to use unofficial decorations, and I've already got a large antique caribbean map to go on the wall, but I would like as many (subtle) references to the ride as possible.
    I was wondering about the early Imagineering sketches of the various characters. Are they available as prints at all?
    If anyone knows of a good place to start looking for things, please let me know!

Arr!

• Mice Chat Newbie

Re: Disney homeware

You may want to check out Disney Auctions. Sometimes they offer park items. You may also want to check out: http://www.tellnotales.com/

Good luck! Sounds like a cute idea - too bad about the kitchen.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker
    Hello fellow Mouse Chatters.
    For years now, I've been planning on giving my kitchen a Mickey Mouse makeover. I was going to paint it in his colours, and buy some of that gorgeous crockery available in Lilly's Boutique on Main Street USA. Sadly, my girlfriend has put her foot down and told me she will take a potato peeler to my more sensitive parts before she lets me do such a thing.
    However, by way of a compromise, she is going to let me decorate one of our rooms with a pirate theme. As POTC has always been my favourite ride, that's fine with me, but Pirate-themed décor is pretty hard to come by. So here's my question - does Disney have any official POTC homeware available? I've had a little look at the Disney Store website, but can't find much. I know it's easy to use unofficial decorations, and I've already got a large antique caribbean map to go on the wall, but I would like as many (subtle) references to the ride as possible.
    I was wondering about the early Imagineering sketches of the various characters. Are they available as prints at all?
    If anyone knows of a good place to start looking for things, please let me know!

Arr!
    my b/f has a serious pirate addiction. please feel free to im me, we have been able to work this theming into our home with little problem. i have just had to deal with a few minor sticking points...hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    please be afraid.

• Rock The World

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've found some nice antique maps of the Caribbean on ebay, which I'm hoping to buy. I'm not too sure about the stuff available on disneydirect.com though - it's not the most subtle. Although if the skull and crossbones actually talked, it would be a must!

• Do I seem familiar?

Smile Re: Disney homeware

Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of Pirates-themed home merchandise for adults, especially non-movie-related items. But if you are open to movie-related stuff, there is that huge 2 ft. statue of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. ;o) And I'm not quite sure if you'd want to buy pillowcases with Johnny Depp's face on them (I've seen it at Hot Topic). Or maybe you do; I consdered buying them for my mother as she loved Johnny Depp in that movie!

I know the Disney catalog was releasing quite a bit of collectible memorabilia based on the Disneyland attraction. Though that's not quite your everyday cookie jar or letter holder. Have you thought about combining official merchandise with unofficial merchandise? Like perhaps you can buy something at the park and turn it into something new. That actually sounds like a great project!

• Rock The World

Hi Pearl. What you say makes sense, and I'm already trying to mix official merchandise with non-official, Piratey stuff. In that regard I'm quite lucky, as I live in South Wales, home of Black Bart Roberts and Captain Morgan (of rum fame.) So there are plenty of good historical nic nacks I can pick up. But the one thing I'd kill for is a print (or two or three) of the original concept artwork for the audio animatronic figures. There are framed copies hanging in the entrance to the Blue Lagoon restaurant in Paris, and they're beautiful!
    As for the pillow case, it's not really high on my list. I'm sure my girlfriend would appreciate it though!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

The disney gallery has tons of concept sketches for sale right now (because of the 50th) I ordered georgeous prints of New Orleans Sqare and the Tiki Room through their "print on demand service" - you pick the art you want, how big you want it, and whether you want it on canvas or paper, and a few hours later, it is printed and ready to go. I'm sure if you gave them a call they would send you a catalogue of everything they have. The prices are resonable also- it cost us $100 for 2 large paper prints and a canvas print.

Oh, and I would just do the kitchen, you can always get another girlfriend
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker
    But the one thing I'd kill for is a print (or two or three) of the original concept artwork for the audio animatronic figures.
    If you can find it -- might be rather hard to come by now -- there was a HUGE framed compilation of Marc Davis' sketches for PotC available at the parks at least up to 2003 (maybe even long). It was signed by Marc Davis, too. Selling price was about $1,000 or more...
    -Tim