Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Steven Spielberg's 'Lincoln'

Steven Spielberg's Lincoln: Who should play Booth?

Feb 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
    by Benjamin Svetkey
    ew.com

There was a rumor going around that this President's Day Steven Spielberg would finally announce a production start date for his long-awaited Abraham Lincoln biopic. No such luck. We're still waiting to find out more about this intriguing project.

All we know at this point is that Liam Neeson (who picked up an Oscar nomination the last time he worked with Spielberg, in Schindler's List) is attached to star as the stovepipe-hat-wearing commander in chief; that Sally Field might end up playing Mary Todd Lincoln; and that Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner (who nabbed an Oscar nomination for writing Spielberg's Munich) has been hard at work on a script, which will reportedly focus on the last two months of Lincoln’s life.

What we were really hoping to find out today was who’ll be playing John Wilkes Booth, the Confederate loyalist who murdered Lincoln in 1865 during a play at Washington, D.C.'s Ford's Theatre, then jumped onto the stage to take a bow before escaping into the night.

What makes that character so interesting, at least to us, is the fact that Booth was an actor. And not just any actor, but one of the most famous and successful of his day. To put it in 21st-century terms, it’d be as if George Clooney or Johnny Depp had been implicated in the assassination of a president. Come to think of it, either of those two stars would be perfect for the part, if they’d be willing to grow a Booth-esque mustache. Or maybe Spielberg should go for a JWB-style three-name thespian. Johnny Lee Miller, perhaps? Or Daniel Day-Lewis?
    Steven Spielberg's Lincoln: Who should play Booth? | PopWatch Blog | EW.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Steven Spielberg's 'Lincoln'

I've always thought that Billy Crudup would make for an excellent choice:

seen above as Russell the rock star in Cameron Crowe's 'Almost Famous'

JWB in one of his many portraits

Who'd you cast?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

I've been reading about this project for a few years now, and I'm quite looking forward to it. However I have to question the logic of the suggestions this article makes for someone to play Booth. He was 26 when he killed Lincoln, so why are they suggesting actors in their 40's? I'm not really sure who I would suggest. I'll have to think about that for a bit.

• Circle of Ancients

Seeing that picture of JWB, I'm almost thinkinb maybe Colin Hanks???

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If this is going to be done through Dreamworks then there is now a Disney connection.

No worries, the casting is now set: John Wilkes Booth will be played by Zac Efron.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I'd like to see Johnny Depp 'take a shot' and playing Booth.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Happy Memories

A few random thoughts...

Spielberg is currently working with Jamie Bell. That might give him a good in. He may be a bit too young though.

Some other people that came to mind, some more fitting than others would be Joseph Gordon Levitt, Taylor Kitsch (who might be on more people's radar after he's seen as Gambit this summer in the Wolverine film), James Franco, Emile Hirsch, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Josh Jackson (who I often see as a young Clooney), Giovanni Ribisi (might be a little old, but for some reason I can see him in the role), or if they really are interested in a A-lister then maybe Leo.

I just think that his youth is kind of important. You can play his motivation as misguided, youthful passion. Maybe I'm just completely off base though. That's just the way I see it personally.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Colin Hanks, good call! I also like Ryan Gosling for this from the younger acting pool.

Here's some past stories on the 'Lincoln' film:

Spielberg: 'Lincoln' '09 after 'Tintin' -5/12/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/movies/96...er-tintin.html

Posted: Tue., Jan. 11, 2005, 10:00pm PT

Lincoln logs in at DreamWorks

Spielberg, Neeson eye Abe pi

Spielberg

Neeson

By Michael Fleming
    Variety

Steven Spielberg is ready to embark on his long-in-the-works biopic of Abraham Lincoln.

Spielberg has begun discussions with Liam Neeson to play the president as he steers the North to victory in the Civil War. The plan is to start production next January, sources said.

Spielberg won't complete principal photography on "War of the Worlds" until late March. Post-production will be rigorous, as he and star Tom Cruise gear for a late-June release.

Spielberg has wanted to make a movie about Lincoln since 2001, when DreamWorks bought rights to a bio being written by Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Doris Kearns Goodwin. That book, expected then to be published by Simon & Schuster in 2003, will finally be published next fall, under the title "The Uniter: The Genius of Abraham Lincoln." The most recent screenwriter on the Lincoln script is Paul Webb.

Neeson, who is nominated for a Golden Globe for "Kinsey" earned an Oscar nomination for playing Oskar Schindler in Spielberg's "Schindler's List." He appears in the upcoming Ridley Scott-directed "Kingdom of Heaven" and the Chris Nolan-helmed "Batman Begins."

A spokesman for Spielberg refused to confirm the director had made any definite decisions on the movie's casting or when it would start. If Spielberg is indeed eyeing a January 2006 start, that would delay further his long-planned film about the aftermath of the 1972 Munich Olympics, where members of the Israeli team were held hostage and slain by Palestinian terrorists.

Spielberg, who set up that project as a co-production between DreamWorks and Universal, has pushed it back twice. The most recent postponement came after he'd cast Eric Bana in the lead role, but then decided not to start production late last summer. Instead, he hired "Angels in America," playwright Tony Kushner to do a major script overhaul.

One day later, he and Cruise decided to drop everything and do their remake of "War of the Worlds" for Paramount and DreamWorks.
    Lincoln logs in at DreamWorks - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• Happy Memories

double post

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Seeing that picture of JWB, I'm almost thinkinb maybe Colin Hanks???
    Another good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    I'd like to see Johnny Depp 'take a shot' and playing Booth.
    Depp 10-15 years ago would have been perfect, but not now.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

I saw the story of Lincoln's assasination on History Channel about a year ago and always thought it could be a good movie, if done right. I think Spielberg is the right choice (in my opinion). Dang, I would love more details on this!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Seeing that picture of JWB, I'm almost thinking maybe Colin Hanks???
    That's a really great suggestion (I'm a big Colin Hanks fan.).

• Minion

I would think either Robert Downey Jr, or perhaps Matthew McConaughey if he would like to play a villian.

Speaking of RDJ, during the Oscar's last night, I saw the trailer for that movie "The Soloist" with Robert Downey Jr and Jamie Foxx. It looks GOOOOOOD!!!! From the few clips it showed, I would say definitly oscar worthy performances from both actors. It comes out sometime in April, and I just hope that the Academy would still remember this film come the end of the year when they start reviewing films for the Oscar nominations for 2010.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    It comes out sometime in April, and I just hope that the Academy would still remember this film come the end of the year when they start reviewing films for the Oscar nominations for 2010.
    The DVD would be set for a holidays release.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    The DVD would be set for a holidays release.
    I thought there was a stipulation with the oscars, that if the movie comes out on dvd release before the nominations, then it can't be nominated for best picture?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast