Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are there going to be new Disney Stores to be opening?

I have heard from a Manager at my new store that he read a message from Quique, which was a few weeks ago, that there would be new stores opening by the end of the year. I know that they are working on a new prototype store. Has anyone heard similar news, or read the message for themselves? I would love to see it for myself.

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

Re: Are there going to be new Disney Stores to be opening?

I guess I should have posted this in the Break Room. Can someone move it there for me?

"I hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

I hope they do. In the greater Seattle area there is just a single store remaining (What were that at the peak, maybe close to a dozen?) and it is an hour and a half from where I live.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

That is interesting, I figured they would actually be going the other route and closing even more locations. Anyone with more info/clarification on the future of the Disney Stores?

The store I originally worked at closed, after 11 years of magic, due to a lease "dis"agreement with the mall (the mall wanted to charge triple the rent) and Disney pulled out. Fortunately I was able to transfer to another store. It is exciting to hear they are opening new stores, and not closing more. Disney is confident that they will be able to weather the uncertain economic times, and keep the stores going.

Thumbs up Re: Are there going to be new Disney Stores to be opening?

Thanks for the info...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• The line's too long...

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymark34 View Post
    The store I originally worked at closed, after 11 years of magic, due to a lease "dis"agreement with the mall (the mall wanted to charge triple the rent) and Disney pulled out. Fortunately I was able to transfer to another store. It is exciting to hear they are opening new stores, and not closing more. Disney is confident that they will be able to weather the uncertain economic times, and keep the stores going.
    Triple the rent?!?! That mall needs to go out of business, good riddance to that naked greed and short-sightedness.
    It wouldn't surprise me that Disney is planning to open new stores, but I think they'll take a different tack from what they've done before.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The Children's Place and Disney worked on redesigning the Disney Stores just a year ago. (two of those opened in Phoenix in 2008, and I believe both of those stores closed, since that time.) So how big of a change is this newest new look going to be? I'm hoping they will go back to the numerous character displays throughout the store, and the store front character window.

I do know that Disney was not pleased with the store designs under TCP. Our store never changed, but one store in our area did get a TCP remodel, and in my opinion, it is not very attractive. It has a huge Mickey Head outline for an entrance at it is red. There are only three characters that I noticed in the store, which were Sorcerer Mickey, Pooh, and Tigger. I have no idea what the new store design is, but I have read somewhere that they are working on one, as we speak. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Also, aren't we supposed to get new costumes in October? Anyone know what they look like?

Stores that got remodeled/newly built by TCP was called the Mickey Concept design. We got one of those here as well and it is pretty bland. Though not as boring as the design done by Disney in 2000 called the Millenium stores. We have been hearing about this new store design that was supposedly in the works for a really long time now and but nothing is known about it yet. I am still skeptical that there are plans to open new locations and let alone remodel the existing ones.

If they do not open up new stores, I would hope that the Company to put some effort into remodeling existing ones.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymark34 View Post
    I do know that Disney was not pleased with the store designs under TCP. Our store never changed, but one store in our area did get a TCP remodel, and in my opinion, it is not very attractive. It has a huge Mickey Head outline for an entrance at it is red. There are only three characters that I noticed in the store, which were Sorcerer Mickey, Pooh, and Tigger. I have no idea what the new store design is, but I have read somewhere that they are working on one, as we speak. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Also, aren't we supposed to get new costumes in October? Anyone know what they look like?
    there was a newer remodel of the Disney Store, with TCP, that was introduced a year ago. The only characters were a line up of five or six characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy and I don't recall if Daisy was there or not) that sat on a shelf that was suspended from the ceiling, near the cashiers at the back of the store. The store did have a little better look than the original TCP design. They had wood laminate floors, and some of the display stands had a wood look. And many of the shelves were metal. It was definitely an improvement over the cheap looking white plastic shelves. the newer design also had nice large red sparkly tiles in the front quarter of the store. The checkout had an illuminated display of hand sketche characters. Disney's official website even showed a picture of the new look for the store, about a year ago. So I wonder if the new look is really just the one that was introduced a year ago.

I am pretty sure that Disney is working on a prototype as we speak.

Cool Re: Are there going to be new Disney Stores to be opening?

While I no longer work for Disney (after working there for 5 years... my store closed.....) I still try and keep in touch with a lot of people who still work there. I think the Millenium, Castle, and Mickey designs were Disney's way of cutting corners- instead of focusing on QUALITY- they focused on QUANTITY.... if you have ever been to a Millenium Store, you will surely agree that they are hideaous....... the Mickey Store (like the one at Arden Fair in Sacramento) is hideaous also.... you are blinded by the flourescent light and bright white floors when you walk in.... everything looks cheap- the shelves are plastic, just TACKY

I honestly doubt, at this time, considering the economic climate- that Disney would be opening new stores. It's just not feasable..... maybe in a few years, but right now? After closing a third of the chain? It doesn't make sense... and I personally think it would be a poor move.

The Pink & Green stores are amazing. They need to keep that in mind- there is NOTHING more magical than going in to a pink and green (Well-kempt) Disney Store!!!

I still can't get over that Disney closed it's 2 San Francisco Stores!
    I know the rent for the Union Square store must've been phenomenal... but there is a beautiful mall called San Francisco Centre (westfield) .. they could've relocated there.. from Stonestown or Post St., or both...
    Serramonte is a dumpy *** store- even though it's a Mickey Design, that mall is a dump and the store does not focus on guest service...

Anway, I am happy to hear people saying that Disney thinks the stores will weather this economic downturn.. I really hope they do! They need to go back to the drawing board--- think about how the business was run in the early 1990's--- it was a HUGE SUCCESS! It can be a huge success again!
    "You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality." -Walt Disney

The store I transfered to is a Pink and Green, and I am slowly getting used to the look. My old store was a Pipe Rail, and I absolutely loved it. It was well lit, and had some wonderful animations. Pink and Green stores seem to be a little darker to me, and the animations are not as detailed. Although, our Little Mermaid animation, which has Flounder and Sebastian alongside Ariel, actually moves. We also have a window display with Mickey, Donald, and Pluto, and the fireplace looks as if it were flickering with light. It reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast