Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

I don't get the Dark Tower appeal-

There are many people here who just LOVED the Dark Tower series of books-

So, I recently pulled a few from the library-1,2 and 3....and I don't get it.

I can't get into them at all....I find the writing odd and stilted. The story convoluted and beyond anything I want to try to grasp-it has just been unenjoyable all around-

With King I either love his books or hate them......and these seem to fall into the latter catagory. If I can't even get into the first book- how could I ever make it through 7???

What is the appeal? Am I missing something???

Re: I don't get the Dark Tower appeal-

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    I can't get into them at all....I find the writing odd and stilted. The story convoluted and beyond anything I want to try to grasp-it has just been unenjoyable all around-

With King I either love his books or hate them......and these seem to fall into the latter catagory. If I can't even get into the first book- how could I ever make it through 7???
    There are seven??? I couldn't get into them either.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • So fetch

My husband loves that series. As for me, I'll take my history "textbooks" (that's what hubby calls them) over the Dark Tower series anyday. I couldn't get into them either.

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, the first book, despite being the shortest takes me the longest amount of time to get through. I don't know why that is. It's certainly my least favorite of the series, but I'm glad I got through it and read the rest.

• Reaver of Souls

The Gunslinger is the hardest of them all to get into. The recent re-write made it a little easier and less archaic, not to mention fixing some inconsistencies, but it's still a tough book. I find you have to get through it much as Roland himself does - plod through it slowly and with determination. Many King fans are disappointed with this book because it's much slower than most of his, and has very little in the way of tension or the supernatural... I think this was SK tried to be artsy. Taking inspiration from Browning's poem, and trying to write the first chapter in this great epic, and it was simply beyond him at that stage in his writing. Book one gets much better once they get to the mountains, but that's something like 3/4 of the way through the book. The first time I read it, loooong ago, I fought my way through it because I was (and still am!) an raving King fan. By the end, I was hooked. But it did take a while...

Book two is in a different world of writing. SK's casual, relaxed storytelling is in effect here, and Drawing of the Three is a lot of people's favorite of them all (my personal fave is Wizard and Glass).

Once you start reading it, you start to see how many of his books and stories tie into DT in many subtle ways, and it sort of tied a lot of the King stories together for me in ways I'd never thought of.

True, this series is definately a love it or hate it sort of thing for most. My main suggestion is to give it through the end of Book 2 to decide. If you're not into it by then, you never will be...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Waiting for the stork

I have tried readint the first book 3 times....I love SK books and want to read these, but it's bored the hell out of me...

I have heard that this is his favorite story (the whole series) of everyhting he has writen...

and I am dying to find out how it all ties together, Randel Flagg is mentioned in so many of the bookd and if I am correct (please tell me if I'm not) he is pivitol in this as well....I want to know what his story is, why is he always so important.....but I can't seem to get through the dang book...

maybe I'll read it on my way to MA (long trip)...

just tell me, for someone that has gotten 1/2 way thru it 3 times....is it worth it?
    I have read just about everything else that he has written.....
    procrastibating

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Tinkerbelle - I can't help, I've never finished book 1 either!

• e komo mai

That's so weird. I couldn't finish it either. Too slow... Haven't read the others...
    I love 'The Stand' unabridged. It's my favorite of SK's.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I love 'The Stand' unabridged also! Its great and I don't have any trouble other than holding that exceptionally large book!

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL
    I love 'The Stand' unabridged also! Its great and I don't have any trouble other than holding that exceptionally large book!
    Wow. I have read everything King has published and for some reason I hated the Stand. Something about them sitting around in the desert for 300 pages preparing... and preparing and preparing.

I really did get into the Dark Tower though, since it takes place, primarily, in the core "world" that ties many of his books together. There are tons of websites and concordances with information on this. Basically the Dark Tower series (especially the final 3 books) "wrap up" events and characters that appear in other King novels. (ie. Randall Flagg, Father Callahan, the kids from Eyes of the Dragon, the old dude from "Low Men in Yellow Coats" from Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, etc.). It is always fun for me when King mentions other works / towns of his in his novels. King even writes himself as a character into the Dark Tower series, which people either thought was pretty cool or the height of arrogance. (I fall into the former category.)

I remember reading the first book and going.. what the hell was that about?

The second book I liked, but wondered what the hell it had to do with the first book.

The third book sort of tied the first two together, which I loved. I'd say if you read through book three and hated it all the way, perhaps finishing is not for you.

Book 4 was the least of the DT series, IMHO. Mostly it wrapped up the events of book 3 and then was a flashback to Roland's life prior to DT1.

Books 5-7 were written back to back... book 7 was my absolute favorite in the series.

I just like the characters, the atmosphere of the creepy world that "has moved on", King's signature sense of humor (King is one hilarious SOB) and the not-so-coincidental coincidences that tied the worlds together.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I loved these books, this series, until the end of the last book. I threw it across my room, I was so disappointed. But up until then, they're phenomenal stories. I adore Stephen King, he's a real genius.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    I loved these books, this series, until the end of the last book. I threw it across my room, I was so disappointed. But up until then, they're phenomenal stories. I adore Stephen King, he's a real genius.
    oh yeah.....now I really want to read them all LOL

I got the Gunslinger out of the library again- but I am SO not sold on this idea......

I made a deal with someone to make them read Harry Potter and I would read these....I am thinking they got the easier deal. If they even do it!

• Waiting for the stork

Well maybe I'll give it another shot (4th time the charm?)

if for no other reason than to see how he wrote himself (that has me intregued)
    procrastibating

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Well I'll dig mine out also and give it a try. If I'm understanding what folks are saying we just have to grin and bear it thru 1 and it will get better until the last book which sunnygirl didn't like.

• Earth Intruder

I liked the ending, though I can see why it's a bit frustrating how Roland goes through the.... HEY I am so not going to spoil it all!!! You gotta get to the end of book 7 for that.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast