Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Pinapple Princess

Will we ever get to own "Song of the South"?

I was bored at work yesterday and read all the wiki articles on most of the disneyland parks, as well as the article on the Movie "Song of the south" http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South

in the article it says

Despite rumors of a forthcoming DVD release, Disney CEO Robert Iger stated on March 10, 2006 at a Disney Shareholder Meeting that it had been decided that the company would not re-release it for the time being.[19] At the annual shareholders meeting in March 2007, Iger announced that the company was reconsidering the decision, and have decided to look into the possibility of releasing the film.[20] In May 2007, it was again reported that the Disney company has chosen not to release the film.[21] However, rumors to the contrary continue to surface
    So What is the status on it being released now? I would love to own it and have it be part of my collection. Any one know?
    *** Disney Pinapple Princess *** Cove Bar Crew - DCA** HELL YEAH!!!***
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4e8xunrnijrm.png[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney Dorks of the world unite!

Re: Will we ever get to own "Song of the South"?

I ordered a copy from this site and it is really good.

Official Song Of The South DVD!

I bought my copy on Laser Disc years ago.

One letter and one word: E-Bay.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Not unless you want to settle for a bootleg copy. I saw a guy selling them at the FL State Fair last month. Good quality as it was taken from the UK DVD or laserdisc or whatever it was.

• Rawr...

If you want to see an official and most likely cleaned-up version, head over to songofthesouth.net and sign their petition. It may be little, but it could help.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Mischievous Mouse

My guess is NO.

Just like dvd's that have been out of circulation can be obtained through secondary venues and the internet for anyone who "really" wants a copy "NOW". Sales would not out-weigh the predicted controversy over an OFFICIAL DISNEY RELEASE.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

common song of the south!!! i love it!!! i have a download of it on my iphone but i really hope they have it come out soon i really love it!
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/mt0rb5h8duy3fghp.png[/IMG]

• Geoff London

I havethe original (not messed about with) VHS tape released in the U K. I also a DVD copy of it - I did the transfer myself. It has some simplistic approaches to black / white relationships but I accept it for what it is. A film made when things were viewed differently. The fact remains that Zip-a dee-doo dah! is one of Disney's best remembered songs.- and back in 1946 it won the Academy Award for Best Song.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• De la Terre la Luke

I would love to see a DVD release, some of the best Disney songs of all time are found in this movie!

• Banned User

I also think that it should be released on dvd.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

This has been the subject of many, many threads here over the years. While I have long hoped for such a release, and have long noted the hipocrisy of profiting from much of the film's soundtrack, there is little chance of any official release by the "PC" Walt Disney Company of today.

We've done a lot of ranting, raving and debating here over the years, and that seems to be the reality of it.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I doubt we will ever see an official release but as others have said there are other ways to get it. The only way we would see it is probably a Disney Treasures (sic) release with a hour intro by Leonard Maltin that is impossible to skip without ripping the movie.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

It is a shame that Disney has lost it's Laughing Place.

Hopefully they will show some respect to this film and issue a digitally restored copy of this Academy Award Nominated (for musical score) and Winning film (Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah). And it is of such historic importance that James Baskett became the First African-American male actor to be awarded an Academy Award. He even sang the award winning song!

This is also Disney's very first live action movie, and Disney broke new ground with this movie, just as he had with his first sound cartoon, first color cartoon, first full length animated cartoon, and this film is just as much an accomplishment in continuing and expanding the Disney Legacy.

This movie broke through so many barriers and deserves to be a movie that the Disney company should be proud to have as part of it's heritage, rather than treating it with disdain and disrespect, as they have been the past 20 plus years.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    I doubt we will ever see an official release but as others have said there are other ways to get it. The only way we would see it is probably a Disney Treasures (sic) release with a hour intro by Leonard Maltin that is impossible to skip without ripping the movie.
    The only way I would ever see it released is with a "bonus feature" round-table discussion, undoubtedly involving Rev. Blowhard (excuse me, Jesse Jackson) on racism and politically correct behavior.

And the Maltin intro, although I don't think that that would last an hour.

Even with that, I don't expect to see it for many years, if ever.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast