• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

S.O.A.R. Anaheim Free Appreciation Event - Thurs, March 19th - 5 to 8:30 PM

S.O.A.R. Anaheim, the group that fought the SunCal Condo project is offering a event at Anaheim GardenWalk this Thursday Night, including free food, drinks, live music and movies. (And free parking).

http://soaranaheim.com/GardenWalk_Flyer5.pdf
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: S.O.A.R. Anaheim Free Appreciation Event - Thurs, March 19th - 5 to 8:30 PM

Will Lucille Kring be celebrating at her Pop The Cork wine bar?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    S.O.A.R. Anaheim, the group that fought the SunCal Condo project is offering a event at Anaheim GardenWalk this Thursday Night, including free food, drinks, live music and movies. (And free parking).

http://soaranaheim.com/GardenWalk_Flyer5.pdf
    Those of us interested in having a world class thid gate in the future would be wise to support S.O.A.R. to the hilt. Together, we (those onS.O.A.R.s side) won the battle against crooked members on the Anaheim City Council in their attempt to help a major housing developer to clutter resort land with houses and apartments. WE can take pride in this. However, we cannot afford to let our guard down. Other threats to Disney's expansion plans can always pop up.

Besides, the event sounds like all kinds of fun! I'm from NorCal and just startrd a new job ..otherwise i would be there in a heartbeat. Hopefully, later this year I will be able to attend some of these functions.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Together, we (those on S.O.A.R.s side) won the battle against crooked members on the Anaheim City Council in their attempt to help a major housing developer to clutter resort land with houses and apartments. WE can take pride in this. However, we cannot afford to let our guard down. Other threats to Disney's expansion plans can always pop up.
    so tell me, where are the current underpaid cast members supposed to find affordable non ghetto gang banger infested places to live that doesn't involve a commute from hell? the low income housing behind the resort doesn't count (oops, i mentioned that, i hear the wrecking balls from SOAR moving in now) as it isn't exclusively disney, but everyone can get in.

furthermore, after disney expands, where do the new workers go? to all the $2000/month efficiency apartments in the platinum triangle? or the $950+/month apartments around the rest of the area on their meager taxed and unionized to death wages? (PS: after the disneyland resort opened, rent went from a affordable $450 or so a month to 700,800,etc practically overnight all through out the area. long beach to westminster, anything that fireworks fall out touches saw prices skyrocket)

amazing how arrogant people are that attend the park, demanding top notch service from the cast members, getting bent out of shape if one carries a back pack on stage because crossing from harbor pointe to town toon is easier then walking around the entire resort permiter to go through the TDA check pointe or having to walk all the way around the backstage areas due to shuttle services not running after TDA closes for the day (can't walk on schumacher road, it's traffic only, not foot traffic), from those who complain if a CM hugs on stage.....

Then it's a irony to holler at them after they clock out that they can't have affordable housing, likening them to drug dealers, pimps,hookers, etc.....

I lived behind disneyland in a motel on barely $51/week left over, having to change motels every 30 days because apparently if I am staying in the hotel/motel it means I am a drug dealer, rather then someone only affording what he could... (4 months after I left california, i was finally granted a interview for low income housing. too little too late)

guess I just wasted a bunch of hot air, you won. Cast members still suffer while you can at least vacation here, then go back to your home, 2.3 kids, cars in the garage, a backyard/swimming pool and so forth. You get luxury, and we still continue to serve your "proud SOAR" kind

over and out

• Lowering Expectations

Yay, count me in. It will be great to see living breathing people in the Gardenwalk mall area for once.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

I am a CM with a 20 min commute and personally I don't mind. If it means we get a fireworks show at night and top notch attractions. Disney cannot launch fireworks after a certain time every night just because of the residence in the area. Florida does not have that problem. Granted I support SOAR only if something happens in the future ( after DCA is cleaned up) I really hope a 3rd gate is in the future for the resort. Disney is hurting for space in the resort, since the expansion of DCA parking is going to become bad. Walt (near the end) was starting to hate the fact that shady motels were popping up around the resort, that is how WDW was created. The resort needs to thrive not contract, thats how I feel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

Quote Originally Posted by westonsheppup View Post
    so tell me, where are the current underpaid cast members supposed to find affordable non ghetto gang banger infested places to live that doesn't involve a commute from hell?
    You do know SunCal is a developer of upper-middle class housing, right? And that no one below the level of middle management in TDA would have been able to afford the lowest mortgage in the luxury condo units SunCal was proposing to build, right?

SunCal - A Legacy Of Fine Living http://www.suncal.com/

And then there's the floundering SunCal upscale condo division that was going to build the proposed Anaheim property. Somehow I don't think the average Jungle Cruise skipper can afford the Italian dining room set and vintage George Nelson lamps featured in the photos here, let alone shop on "Rodeo Drive" or lounge on fancy bedding while they surf the net. http://www.suncalurban.com/

This wasn't going to be a subsidized housing project a la' "Good Times". YouTube - Good Times Minisode - Rich is Better Than Poor This was going to be upscale, luxury condos from SunCal Urban. How odd that some folks believed the SunCal propaganda without doing a bit of research into exactly what they were proposing.

Thank God it failed and Disney won.
    Last edited by TP2000; 03-18-2009 at 10:31 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

so tell me, where are the current underpaid cast members supposed to find affordable non ghetto gang banger infested places to live that doesn't involve a commute from hell? the low income housing behind the resort doesn't count (oops, i mentioned that, i hear the wrecking balls from SOAR moving in now) as it isn't exclusively disney, but everyone can get in.

furthermore, after disney expands, where do the new workers go? to all the $2000/month efficiency apartments in the platinum triangle? or the $950+/month apartments around the rest of the area on their meager taxed and unionized to death wages? (PS: after the disneyland resort opened, rent went from a affordable $450 or so a month to 700,800,etc practically overnight all through out the area. long beach to westminster, anything that fireworks fall out touches saw prices skyrocket)

amazing how arrogant people are that attend the park, demanding top notch service from the cast members, getting bent out of shape if one carries a back pack on stage because crossing from harbor pointe to town toon is easier then walking around the entire resort permiter to go through the TDA check pointe or having to walk all the way around the backstage areas due to shuttle services not running after TDA closes for the day (can't walk on schumacher road, it's traffic only, not foot traffic), from those who complain if a CM hugs on stage.....

Then it's a irony to holler at them after they clock out that they can't have affordable housing, likening them to drug dealers, pimps,hookers, etc.....

I lived behind disneyland in a motel on barely $51/week left over, having to change motels every 30 days because apparently if I am staying in the hotel/motel it means I am a drug dealer, rather then someone only affording what he could... (4 months after I left california, i was finally granted a interview for low income housing. too little too late)

guess I just wasted a bunch of hot air, you won. Cast members still suffer while you can at least vacation here, then go back to your home, 2.3 kids, cars in the garage, a backyard/swimming pool and so forth. You get luxury, and we still continue to serve your "proud SOAR" kind

over and out
    You do raise some good ..poiniant questions westonsheppup. There were others who brought cast member housing issues up back when SOAR fought the SunStar ..and some of the Anaheim City Council members that were in the developers pocket.

As far as I'm concerned, the cast member housing issue goes way back to Walt when he was planning Disney World. As many here are well aware, Walt Disney had a noble original notion for EPCOT (Center). He dreamt of making the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow a futuristic city that provided free housing for WDW cast members. Unfortunately Walt died before the Florida resort was built. In his absence, EPCOT simply became another theme park. The city of Celebration is the closest thing to Walt's dream. But it as you say, is only for people with high income levels.

As the the Disneyland Resort continues to expand, I feel it should offer safe yet affordable housing for it's rank and file cm's ..and lower scale management and other professionals as well. It's only fair. One can wish anyway. This being said, housing developments on resort property would hider expansion plans ..and create a public eyesore that would serve to drive away attendance. On top of that, the nearby residents would pose behavioural, criminal and guest safety problems ..and some residents would likely complain about the noise, the crowds, the fireworks, the momorail ..everything. It would be a nightmare. This in turn would have adverse effects on resort employment.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    You do know SunCal is a developer of upper-middle class housing, right? And that no one below the level of middle management in TDA would have been able to afford the lowest mortgage in the luxury condo units SunCal was proposing to build, right?

SunCal - A Legacy Of Fine Living http://www.suncal.com/

And then there's the floundering SunCal upscale condo division that was going to build the proposed Anaheim property. Somehow I don't think the average Jungle Cruise skipper can afford the Italian dining room set and vintage George Nelson lamps featured in the photos here, let alone shop on "Rodeo Drive" or lounge on fancy bedding while they surf the net. http://www.suncalurban.com/

This wasn't going to be a subsidized housing project a la' "Good Times". YouTube - Good Times Minisode - Rich is Better Than Poor This was going to be upscale, luxury condos from SunCal Urban. How odd that some folks believed the SunCal propaganda without doing a bit of research into exactly what they were proposing.

Thank God it failed and Disney won.
    Essentially, you are correct TP. However, there are federal laws that force cities to build a certain amount of "scum lord meth lab" housing in relationship to starter and upscale homes. There were skid row apartments planned amongst the homes.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Whoops. Double post.

• DLR Cast Member

so tell me, where are the current underpaid cast members...
    1 - If you really were underpaid, you'd be able to find a job elsewhere doing the same thing for more. But you won't be able to, because those jobs don't exist.

2 - The typical cast member position is an unskilled entry level job. CA minimum wage is 8/hr. Disney's starting wage is 9.05/hr; Foods Cast Members start at $10/hr. Third Shift Custodial starts at $9.75. Those wages are quite adequate, and considerably more then comparable entry level unskilled jobs in the area.

...supposed to find affordable non ghetto gang banger infested places to live that doesn't involve a commute from hell?
    That's a myth. The guys who work at Knotts, Walmart, McDonalds, your local mall or college bookstore dont' seem to have a problem either finding a place to live or commuting. Why should you be moreso entitled?

Feel free to quit. There are 100 other people right behind you willing to not only take your job, but who are willing to do it exceedingly well.
    ...then go back to your home, 2.3 kids, cars in the garage, a backyard/swimming pool and so forth.
    And most of us started out at minimum wage jobs just like you. The difference between you and us is that we didn't foster an entitlement menatlity.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As much as we can thank SOAR for defeating SunCal, we can also thank them for defeating Westcot.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    As much as we can thank SOAR for defeating SunCal, we can also thank them for defeating Westcot.
    No you can't, S.O.A.R. was started as a result of the SunCal rezoning by the City Council a couple of years ago. It is basically supported by the businesses in the Anaheim Resort District, including the Walt Disney Company, but also had a lot of local residents that did not like the City Council's actions, and supports the Tourism Industry in the City, and knows it brings in a lot of revenue and creates jobs.

If you want to blame Westcot failure, the first one would be the EuroDisney project, and the many mistakes they made, including building too many hotels at the time, and maybe opting for France instead of Spain, which might have been a better location.

Michael Eisner got scared of the Westcot price tag when EuroDisney failed to produce the expected large profits.

And yes, a group of N.I.M.B.Y's that live in Anaheim were against the project, but they are a much different group than S.O.A.R.

Off to the parks for photos, and then the S.O.A.R. event, hope to see you there!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com