• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Efron cuts 'Footloose', gets 'Life' instead

Posted: Tue., Mar. 24, 2009, 8:00pm PT

Zac Efron ready for new 'Life'

Actor in talks for 'Charlie St. Cloud' adaptation

By Michael Fleming
    Variety

Zac Efron is negotiating to re-team with "17 Again" director Burr Steers on an adaptation of the novel "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud."

The film will likely be the next for Efron, who just ankled Paramount's "Footloose" remake.

Former "Good Morning America" exec producer Ben Sherwood wrote the book, about a caretaker at a cemetery who manages to have weekly meetings with a younger brother whose accidental death he feels was his fault.

Marc Platt is producing, and while Efron's deal is still being negotiated, Steers is set and has already begun polishing a script originally written by Craig Pearce, with James Schamus and Lewis Colick also turning in drafts.
    Production will begin in July. The Efron-Steers collaboration "17 Again" will be released by New Line/Warner Bros. on April 17.

Paramount is meeting other actors to topline the Kenny Ortega-directed "Footloose," which the studio still expects will be on its 2010 release schedule.

A script rewrite for "Footloose" was turned in by Susannah Grant, and the studio is firming up music plans. Four songs from the original film will be used, and six new tunes will be added, from various artists. The film will not be a burst-into-song musical, though the heroine in the new film will be a singer.
    Zac Efron ready for new 'Life' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

10/27/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/news/1064...paramount.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Senior Minion

Re: Efron cuts 'Footloose', gets 'Life' instead

Looks like Mr Ephron's agent has advised him to diversify from musicals.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post

Smart move. I think this boy can go far if he can show us some other sides. But I was a tiny bit disappointed he won't be in Footloose.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I read somewhere that Chase Crawford (Zac's doppleganager) might take the lead now...

• Banned User

Good for Zac.

If he does well on his SNL spot coming up, I think I'll stop hating on him.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Definitely a smart move for Zac if he wants to further his acting career. I admit I want to see 17 Again... mainly because he'll be acting like Matt Perry (who will always be Chandler to me).

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    His agency put him in this from the beginning, back in 7/07 before 'Hairspray' & 'HSM3' were released. Both took in over $250 million worldwide. Re-teaming with 'HSM's Kenny Ortega at the time looked to be a safe move, especially if they'd stayed on the original production schedule hotter on the heels of 'HSM3'.

My guess is that the script isn't were it should be for him and/or the delays are pushing his calendar back too much, preventing moving on other projects, some with more solid scripts and firmer start dates.

'17 Again' should be a nice medium-sized home run for him at very least. Best film move Matthew Perry has made in years.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Exclusive Zac Efron: Why I said no to 'Footloose'

Apr 3, 2009, 01:27 AM |
    by Nicole Sperling
    ew

In about as polite a manner as he could muster, teenage heartthrob Zac Efron confessed to EW.com why he said no to the Footloose remake: He didn't want to be type-cast as the musical guy. In Las Vegas to receive the Showest Breakthrough Performer of the Year award, Efron confirmed what many in the industry had speculated. "I'm sure Footloose would have been a huge challenge," Efron said, "but the actors that I love and the actors that work really hard in this industry are always shaking things up, trying new genres, acquiring new skill sets. That's what's always going to appeal to me: the unknown."

So Efron's trading in those dancing shoes for a shovel in The Death & Life of Charlie St. Cloud at Universal. Reuniting with 17 Again director Burr Stears, Efron will play a young man who takes a job as a cemetery caretaker where his younger brother has recently been buried. He has weekly meetings with his deceased sibling and begins a romantic relationship with a young woman believed to be missing in a sailing accident. He's not sure if she is real or an apparition.
    Exclusive Zac Efron: Why I said no to 'Footloose' | Showbiz News and Scoop | Studio and Network Dish | EW.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I read somewhere that Chase Crawford (Zac's doppleganager) might take the lead now...
    'Gossip Girl's Chace Crawford is officially onboard.
    Chace Crawford set for 'Footloose' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    His agency put him in this from the beginning, back in 7/07 before 'Hairspray' & 'HSM3' were released. Both took in over $250 million worldwide. Re-teaming with 'HSM's Kenny Ortega at the time looked to be a safe move, especially if they'd stayed on the original production schedule hotter on the heels of 'HSM3'.

My guess is that the script isn't were it should be for him and/or the delays are pushing his calendar back too much, preventing moving on other projects, some with more solid scripts and firmer start dates.

'17 Again' should be a nice medium-sized home run for him at very least. Best film move Matthew Perry has made EVER.*

*Fixed