Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Where The Wild Things Are

This trailer is so incredible. I have been waiting for 2 years for them to get this out. The trailer looks like what a Krispy-Creme Doughnut tastes like. I can hardly wait. Watched it 5 times last night and cried through them every time. It's such a wonderful book and this movie looks to have captured the mood and feel of the book. Only if you have been bad will it give you nightmares. It's a great story.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by mister_peterman View Post
    Did you watch the trailer?! With Spike Jonze directing and Dave Eggers writing the screenplay, my hopes are set very high, and the fact that Jonze fought Warner Bros when they wanted to change the film to be more 'appropriate' (i.e. more commercial) you can tell he cares a lot about the project.
    yeah, I watched it. Just not that impressed. In the book, Max always hit me as just a hyper active, bad little boy with a great imagination. In the trailer...it seems like he's sad. And there's this whole, emotional, deep story behind it. Blech. Where's the fun?

• Senior Minion

Hmmm...

In the words of Homer J Simpson... "Less artsy, more fartsy".

This movie looks to be either a complete flop or a cult favourite but it hardly has 'blockbuster' written on it.

(BTW it was interesting to see an animated Max appear in the documentary The Pixar Story on the Wall-E DVD. Looks like Disney were developing this story back in the '80s)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Did anyone else think the "wild things" looked like the high school mascots from Shrek 3?

I was hoping for less bad reports. I still think it's going to be fun.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 03-31-2009 at 01:09 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I think the hard part about adapting a book like "Where the Wild Things Are" is (oh don't like that verb agreement or disagreement), the story is very simple. It's about a typical hyper boy who gets into trouble and dreams of places other than his own, where he isn't the wildest thing, and then realizes he misses home (hopefully I got the story right. Haven't read it in about 2 years). It's really hard to make a 90 minute movie out of that, especially with this book, which is loved by so many "kids of the...." insert what decade you were born. I understand the reason why they put the whole mom kissing Mark Ruffalo, running around in snow, etc storylines. To show the reason why Max acts up. Plus we live in an age where.... we all know if the story was written today Max would be on Ritalin so quick. So by placing it in a decade where there isn't Ritalin, where there isn't available (sp?) and it then opens up a lot more storylines.

2 things I noticed while looking at IMDB's info on it:
    -Paul Dano, the brother from "Little Miss Sunshine", plays "Alexander. I wonder if that's in reference to Sendak's other great work "Alexander and the Terrible, Rotten, No Good, Very Bad Day." Love that book!

-Jim Henson's crew made the monsters/wild things.

And last thing I think when I watched the trailer I saw Playtone is producing this. If that's the case, yay!
    Last edited by knittingknerd; 03-29-2009 at 06:25 AM.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

I'm both dancing on the ceiling and feeling impending doom about this movie. It's obvious the movie's going to be something entirely different from the book I grew up with, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Giving additional depth and elaborations can have its good sides, but it can also be the ruin of something that only succeeded because of its simplicity. In the book, Max was simple and unexplained enough to be any child, for any reason, regardless of gender. I was able to be that Max and adventure with the wild things as him, which is why that book meant so much. This new Max in the movie can't be me. He can only be a specific subset of children, such as those acting out of their anger toward their divorced parents.

A few years ago, I remember reading a New Yorker article about the rise and fall of Nancy Drew. The author, like me, was a huge fan of the original Nancy Drew books, half because of the series' formulaic stability and half because Nancy's character was so simple and yet so strong. In fact, Nancy only came across as such a strong, fearless heroine because of her simplicity. You never saw her question herself internally, or whatever inner doubts and struggles she might have been feeling. Her lack of angst was what made her so impressive. Where she might be criticized today as merely being a cardboard character, she worked for so many of us because she didn't dog us or the storyline down with too much inner struggle and complexity.

When they revived the Nancy Drew series for a new, modern audience, they rewrote Nancy to be more "accessible" for young readers: giving her self-doubt, inner vulnerability, more emotional depth, etc. It failed to hook old and new fans for this very reason. She wasn't the same character anymore.

What adults seem to forget about the original Max and Nancy is that kids WANT to be that kind of protagonist. They WANT to have that kind of strength that comes from emotional simplicity. It frees them from the conflicts and entrapments of the threatening adult world.

By far, most kids really don't want to see their internal struggles brought out and reflected in their heroes. They want to forget those struggles and run away to play on the wild side. KIDS WANT TO BE WILD THINGS. Not angst-ridden adolescents displaying their inner turmoil and spending the whole storyline working through their emotional problems. Funny how this new movie seems to have forgotten why so many of us latched onto this book as children in the first place, and why it stayed with us into adulthood. We still want to be wild things, even if adults are expected to appreciate the deep, profound, and complex. There's power in simplicity. But it's too late to change that now.

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    -Paul Dano, the brother from "Little Miss Sunshine", plays "Alexander. I wonder if that's in reference to Sendak's other great work "Alexander and the Terrible, Rotten, No Good, Very Bad Day." Love that book!

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.
    Last edited by The Dark Lady; 03-29-2009 at 04:38 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Interesting thoughts, Dark Lady and I would agree. It's dangerous to take simple stories that have stood the test of time and make them appealing to mass audiences in a different way.

I always found films that did that to be well... disappointing. Grinch worked as a short cartoon and so did other Dr. Seuss stories. But when you turn them into full length features, it practically destroys what made them so loveable in the first place.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• we jumped out a window

To be honest, I was paying more attention to the rerecorded version of "Wake Up". Didn't really like it compared to the original recorded version or the live version.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    To be honest, I was paying more attention to the rerecorded version of "Wake Up". Didn't really like it compared to the original recorded version or the live version.

I liked it fine enough... but I'm a relatively new Arcade Fire fan so that may make a difference.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I've been listening to Arcade Fire for about a year or two, and I was actually thinking, I should start listening to them again. Trailer gave me that boost.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Circle of Ancients

Can't wait for this. Gonna have to get the book so the kids can read it. I'm not sure they ever did. I'd also like to read it again.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

I always found films that did that to be well... disappointing. Grinch worked as a short cartoon and so did other Dr. Seuss stories. But when you turn them into full length features, it practically destroys what made them so loveable in the first place.
    Personally I thought that The Grinch worked quite well.

Now The Cat in the Hat on the other hand....
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Again too much depressing failure thoughts. I feel sorry for you. You have lost your inner child to corporate doom. I still look forward to this movie. I won't be brought down by your negative thoughts.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 03-31-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Now, that said, I was hoping that just once in a thread I started that I would get very positive views.
    You didn't start this thread. Tui did. The rest of your post is equally confusing to me, especially because this isn't even a Disney movie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast