Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Yamabuki Restaurant is closing

Yamabuki Restaurant at Paradise Pier Hotel will be closing on April 11th.

39 Disney employees told restaurant will close - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

Disney officials announced Thursday afternoon that Yamabuki restaurant, inside the Paradise Pier Hotel will close down April 11.

Some 39 hourly employees who work at the restaurant were informed of the pending closure during a closed-door meeting around 4 p.m. Thursday.
    Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown said the company will work to relocate some of those employees to other park restaurants. Those who cannot be placed elsewhere will receive at least 60 days pay as severance and an extension of some health care benefits.

A “handful” of salaried managers could either be relocated or lose their jobs, as well, Brown said.

“The concept of the restaurant no longer resonates with our guests,” Brown said. The closure was not related to other layoffs and staff re-organizations related to the sagging economy, she added.

The upscale restaurant at 1717 S. Disneyland Dr., originally opened in 1996 with a lunch and dinner menu. Meals averaged $20 to $30 per diner. The restaurant shortened its hours and discontinued its lunch menu within the last year.

Restaurant hours will remain as normal until the April 11 closure.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Yamabuki Restaurant is closing

Bummer I never ate there but I'm sad for the people who are losing their jobs.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

That place has the yummiest crunch rolls! What a bummer.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Bummer I never ate there but I'm sad for the people who are losing their jobs.

Haha, that's why they're losing their jobs!

But in all seriousness, this really is a problem when a resort or hotel like the Paradise Pier is SO DETACHED from the rest of the resort. When was the last time any of you gone to the Paradise Pier to hang out, and not as an over-niter?

I can think of mine: it was back in 2000, and I went with this girl to Mary Poppins Perfectly Practical Tea or something like that. I hated tea back then too.

Nine years ago. Wow. As an avid resort goer, I can tell you that I've gone to the Disneyland hotel more than a few times and dined at the Grand Californian even more (the most recent this past sunday).

It really is a shame that Yamabuki got booted out. I think if that restaurant was situated in Downtown Disney, it'd have a lot more business.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shablagoo!

I was just chatting offline to Coheteboy and it is a shame they don't move it down to Downtown Disney. There are plenty of open spots. I hear DTD restaurants can be a challenge to get into from time to time. Also the more variety, the better.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Coheteboy, I agree with you. I've only ever been to Paradise Pier hotel twice...once for Yamabuki and once for Mouse Adventure. Maybe twice for Mouse Adventure.

But back to your point...that hotel just really is so separated from the rest of the resort. How can that be fixed?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    But back to your point...that hotel just really is so separated from the rest of the resort. How can that be fixed?

IMPLOSION! Start new. Disneyland Hotel too. I know that's easier said than done, but ultimately, that's what needs to happen. All of the Disney hotels need to be accessible and inviting... especially if they say "disney" on them.

I actually LOVE Japanese food and I've only gone to Yamabuki once. Most of the time, it's just too out of the way for a group to go to. With the slightly higher than normal prices, it's never worth the effort.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

Ive never ate there before...could the prices of the food cost them alot of economical problems?

• Lackey

My family went there for my birthday last year. It was good food, but really only average, and too much like what you can find at most of the Japanese places that seem to be everywhere now, and they are about half the price.

I feel very badly for everyone that is losing a job over it, and hope most can be relocated, but the separation and the highly over-priced food couldn't last. The service was great and held up to the Disney ways.

A smaller, affordable version would be great in DTD - there aren't any good, affordable choices there right now. I'm not saying that there should be fast food, but something between fast food and overpriced restaurants. Even the Garden Walk isn't really affordable. There need to be more price options, especially in this economy, to keep people from going off property.

Good luck to those who have worked there, and thanks to them for the great service they gave, in spite of high prices.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    They could do what they've considered doing for a while, and expand Downtown Disney southward to the Paradise Pier. Then guests would/might actually travel that far.

• secure all cargo

Yeah, Paradise Pier Hotel is definitely out of the way and there's nothing to really draw in resort guests who are not actually staying there. Yamabuki's itself is a good Japanese restaurant, but it really doesn't fit in with the chosen hotel theme.

• 'splosions

Boo. That was my closest Japanese place to send guests

You guys ever try Koji's at the Block? MUCH better rolls imo

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    They could do what they've considered doing for a while, and expand Downtown Disney southward to the Paradise Pier. Then guests would/might actually travel that far.
    With so many things closing at DtD I wouldn't imagine there is the will, desire or need to expand it anymore right now.

Sad Re: Yamabuki Restaurant is closing

This is a real shame. I've been to Disneyland only once, and this was our favorite meal of the trip. Napa Rose and Blue Bayou we very enjoyable but when we talk about the trip we made in December 2007, we are still blown away by Yamabuki. The food was superb and living in Fort Lauderdale we have been to many Japaneese/sushi restaurants. The staff was wonderful also, and I hope Disney does try their best to relocate them. All in all it is very sad news indeed.

• Sock Puppet

It's also disappointing because it goes to show the increasing lack of a diversity of dining options at the already small and limited resort. There are way too many burger-and-fries counter service restaurants. You have to offer variety if you want people to stay and dine at your on-property or local area restaurants and now, I guess, people staying in the resort area will be diverted to other off-property restaurants away from DLR if they are craving Japanese fare.
    Last edited by WDWizard; 03-27-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast