Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Showest: 'Up', 'Beauty' & 'Toy Story' 3D & more!

Posted: Tue., Mar. 31, 2009, 4:13pm PT

Studios tease 3-D at ShoWest

Disney shows off 'Up,' 'Beauty' re-issue

Disney unspooled footage from 3-D pics
    including the 2010 re-release of 'Beauty and the Beast'
    at ShoWest in Vegas today.

BY Michael Speier
    Variety

LAS VEGAS -- Warner Bros. and Disney whetted the appetites of exhibitors at ShoWest on Tuesday with footage of Buzz Lightyear, Scrooge, Harry Potter and a slew of 3-D extravaganzas, as both studios unveiled extended clips of their upcoming titles.

The Mouse House's afternoon session was all about 3-D, as the studio unspooled plenty of footage from its format slate, with motion picture group prexy Mark Zoradi serving as emcee.

From this summer's Pixar entry "Up" to the opening scene of 2010 Valentine's Day's re-release "Beauty and the Beast" to one in a series of new shorts called "Cars Toon," the studio showed off its 3-D chops while stealing a little thunder from DreamWorks Animations' "Monsters vs. Aliens."

Up until Tuesday, the DWA release was the talk of the confab, but Disney showed why it's a huge force to be reckoned with in the 3-D arena.
    Disney also made some news when it announced that in October "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" will be re-released in 3-D as a double feature for a two-week engagement.

Zoradi went on to introduce 3-D clips from the Jerry Bruckheimer summer rodent actioner "G-Force" along with some very early pre-production footage of the "Tron" sequel.

There also were some still images shown -- no motion footage is ready yet -- of Robert Zemeckis' November release "A Christmas Carol" starring JIm Carrey, and of Tim Burton's March opener "Alice in Wonderland," starring Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway.
    Studios tease 3-D at ShoWest - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Re: Showest: 'Up', 'Beauty' & 'Toy Story' 3D & more!

I still don't understand why Beauty and the Beast in 3-D strikes them as a good idea. I just can't see why on earth this is considered worthwhile to put a wonderful 2-D film in a gimmicky format that ultimately adds nothing to the film. Though I suppose that's just me. Shame even more theatres will be ruined just to show it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TifaOnACloud View Post
    I still don't understand why Beauty and the Beast in 3-D strikes them as a good idea. I just can't see why on earth this is considered worthwhile to put a wonderful 2-D film in a gimmicky format that ultimately adds nothing to the film. Though I suppose that's just me. Shame even more theatres will be ruined just to show it.
    I agree 100%. BATB is my favorite movie, of all time. But in 3-D? Not too sure if I like the thought...
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I really want to see the image from Toy Story 3.

Adds nothing to the film? It adds depth. Here is a review from someone who saw the footage first hand: Beauty and the Beast 3D Sequence Wows at ShoWest | /Film

The film’s original producers Don Hahn and directors Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale are using the film’s original computer files to re-render the film in 3D in a 10-month process. If you want to learn more about the process, read this post.

At Disney’s presentation at ShoWest, they premiered the just completed first scene featuring the musical number “Belle”. It blew me away. The best way I can put it is that Beauty and the Beast looked new again. I’m not a huge supporter of 3D, so don’t take this as me just drinking the kool aid being served at this exhibitor convention.

Bell had what seemed like added dimension, and the whole thing worked incredibly well. I wish you could see the scene for yourself, because almost everyone I talked to in attendance was instantly sold. I can totally imagine Disney doing this with other releases. I’d like to see Lion King or some of the older classics back on the big screen.

• Koubu Pilot

I remember when they rereleased Beauty and the Beast for IMAX. Nothing like 8 story high musical romance!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    I remember when they rereleased Beauty and the Beast for IMAX. Nothing like 8 story high musical romance!
    I had the huge honor of hosting a screening event at The Bridge Cinema de Lux for that opening. Disney had invited many of the animators that had worked on the film originally & it's two-year restoration, they had Belle and the Beast there for photo ops. But the best part was getting to introduce the film's producer Don Hahn and (sigh!) star Robby Benson.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

I'm not really sold on the 3D either, so I'm glad to hear some other people who are not sold being blown away by B&TB.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Since they won't see it until next year it'll be interesting to revisit this then. Maybe once they have an opportunity to actually see this new version of the film reasons to disapprove of it will have more resonance.

For more on this project see:

Don Hann on 'Beauty and the Beast' 3D release -12/10/08
    http://micechat.com/forums/features/...d-release.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think Disney's 3-D in bolt and MTR has been excellent. The depth it adds is so welcome. Up probably would have been awesome with it too
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Funny photo of 'Toy Story 3' director Lee Unkrich and some of the animators posing in their lobby:
    VNOG Blog

• Sock Puppet

I must admit I am not a fan of BATB...not really looking forward to see it.But I am excite for Toy Story. Love it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Interview with Pixar's Angus "Franchise Guardian" MacLane:

What to expect in Toy Story 3 (hints: new characters, adult themes!)

What to expect in Toy Story 3 (hints: new characters, adult themes!) | SCI FI Wire

• Circle of Ancients

Sounds very promising.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm not so much a fan of 3D but I am in favor of Disney re-releasing some of their older films in this format. Precisely because it gives them an excuse to bring these films back into the theater for younger generations.

When I was a kid, Disney would bring films out of the vault and into the theaters for a re-release once every generation. That doesn't really happen any more due to DVD. But there is a certain magic to seeing a film on the big screen that you just don't get at home. If 3D is what it takes to expose these great films to today's youth, then I'm all in favor!

-Dusty
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast