Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Tim Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland' 3/5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    It's just too bad that Burton couldn't get his first choice for Alice:

oh my gosh!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayangelo View Post
    But.. why can't he be mad AND cleanly.. hehe
    the same reason Jack Sparrow couldn't. I don't think the partially mad...or completely mad...are all that concerned with hygiene. They have better things to do...like, find the Black Pearl. Or, host tea parties.

• I'll pencil this in later

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post

the same reason Jack Sparrow couldn't. I don't think the partially mad...or completely mad...are all that concerned with hygiene. They have better things to do...like, find the Black Pearl. Or, host tea parties.
    I can understand being a pirate with dirty hands.. but throwing a tea party with dirty hands? eww!

I also wish that tweedledee and tweedledum had hats, but oh well.

I'm sure this will all grow on me when I see the whole picture. But right now it looks like Anti-Wonderland. I don't like it.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

LOL. I guess it's no worse than throwing a tea party with a mouse on the table.

I understand what you mean about it being creepy. I just happen to like a little bit of creepy. It's the way I always pictured Wonderland. I'm very excited about it. But, I understand if I'm in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    LOL. I guess it's no worse than throwing a tea party with a mouse on the table.

I understand what you mean about it being creepy. I just happen to like a little bit of creepy. It's the way I always pictured Wonderland. I'm very excited about it. But, I understand if I'm in the minority.
    Haha, good point.

I love Tim Burton though. I'm a huge fan, especially Sweeny Todd. It's just weird seeing Wonderland like this!! But I'll probably end up liking it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Intriguing. Looks like the love child of Willy Wonka and Carrot Top.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post

Intriguing. Looks like the love child of Willy Wonka and Carrot Top.

• Mouse Music

I have high hopes for this Tim Burton version of Alice. I'm also excited about learning that Johnny Depp has signed on to play Witchy Poo is the movie version of HR PufNStuff by Sid and Marty Kroff.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I just found a script review and it'll be interesting. This won't be Disney's Alice.

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I just found a script review and it'll be interesting. This won't be Disney's Alice.
    I read a little bit of it. I like how Alice will be older than the movie and book. I also like the idea of running away from a proposal and escaping into Wonderland. I'm excited.

• Waiting Since 1992

Holy cow, found a TON of pics at First Look: 'Alice in Wonderland' - The New York Post

Enjoy!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"I always do [sketches)" says Depp. "Don't know why. Just to kind of get an eyeball on the guy first."

Disney recently released early images from "Alice in Wonderland," and Depp's Hatter, of course, looks more than a little mad (some believe that hatters frequently suffered from mercury poisoning as mercury was once used to cure felt). "The orange-hair thing was very important. I think he was poisoned, very, very poisoned, and it was coming out through his hair, through his fingernails and eyes," says Depp, who later discovered happily that director Burton had done strikingly similar drawings of the character.
    Johnny Depp: An outlaw outlook - Los Angeles Times

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Vanity Fair August 2009

Mad About the Hatter

The frabjous combination of Tim Burton and Lewis Carroll heads for 3-D.

Photos and story at:
    Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" | vanityfair.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    Mary Ellen Mark shot those!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Her work on 'Sleepy Hollow' was just perfect!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Tim Burton to premiere 'Wonderland' "semi-trailer"
    at Comic-Con 2009

Burton is also bringing footage from his 3-D adaptation of “Alice in Wonderland”—which has never been shown in public!—and today MTV News can reveal that the footage in question will be a “semi-trailer.”
    A what? Allow the man himself to explain.

“[It’s] a kind of a semi-trailer,” Burton said. “It’s where we’re at at the moment. There’s not a lot of footage to show.”

The reason is that the technological challenges of blurring the lines between live-action, motion-capture and animation have proved to be massive. “It’s a strange process we’re dealing with,” he explained. “We’re using a mix of techniques. If you picked them apart, each technique has been done before. We’re mixing them up, in a way.”

“I wish we had more footage to show,” Burton added. “It’s a real mysterious puzzle that’s frightening and exciting at the same time.”

The “Alice” presentation will be part of Disney’s 3-D panel on Thursday, July 23, which also includes Robert Zemeckis’ “A Christmas Carol” and the sequel to the 1982 sci-fi classic, “Tron.” In addition to the semi-trailer Burton will be showing off, you’ll surely hear the director discuss his vision for the adaptation, how he and star Johnny Depp conceived their take on the Mad Hatter, and why previous versions of “Alice” have fallen short.

Lucky for you folks not making the trip to San Diego, Burton gave us the inside word. “The thing about it is it’s a series of stories,” he said. “For me that’s always been a problem with the movie versions of it. It’s always been a girl going from one weird adventure to another, and for me it didn’t have much of an impact in the versions I’d seen before. Everyone’s crazy. We tried to take the ‘Alice’ mythology and characters and make a story out of it and be true to the spirit of what ‘Alice’ is about.”

Burton also faulted past imaginings of the Hatter. “When you look at most interpretations, everything is pretty one-note,” he said. “Everybody is crazy. With him, we are always trying to find a subtext and layer to it so it's rooted in humanity to some degree—something deeper than just being nuts.”

For those who don't know, Burton's "Alice" is being planned as a sort of sequel (our term, not theirs) to the story presented in Lewis Carroll's original works. Alice, now 17, follows the White Rabbit away from a high society party, once again landing herself in Wonderland. Only this is a changed Wonderland, a place now ruled over by the evil Red Queen. And since Alice can't remember her last visit, she'll have some hurdles to overcome before she can help her old friends reclaim their world.

So how is Burton feeling about his first trip to the Con since a harrowing experience at the “Superman” panel in the late ‘70s? “The great thing about it is the people are passionate and that’s what you want,” he said. “That’s why you do what you do.”

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast