Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Walt Disney Family Museum

I picked up some copies of the WDFM's Newsletter Preview Issue Fall 2009 and brochure while at WDAS this evening for an event. Very nice!
    Last edited by ALIASd; 09-18-2009 at 06:26 AM.

• Banned User

Wow, great upcoming programming and a nice brochure!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Former Pixar animator Steve Segal has a nice write-up on his 9/20 preview of the WDFM:

On Sunday I visited the Disney Family Museum. If you’re even a casual Disney fan and you are in the vicinity of San Francisco you must make a point to visit it when it opens in the beginning of October. Unfortunately they don’t allow picture taking so you’ll have to come to see it yourself. I took some pictures from the outside and was able to sneak a few in less traveled areas (Click thumbnails below for larger images).

There are 9 separate galleries containing a staggering 214 video presentations. Some projected, most were small video screens populated throughout the museum. It covers pretty much all of Walt’s life and work. Here are some of the highlights (spoilers below):
    full post at:
    Sneak Peek: The Disney Family Museum | Cartoon Brew: Leading the Animation Conversation
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Animation story artist Jenny Lerew has updated her blog with WDFM info regarding her contribution to the museum and her Friday 9/25 preview visit:

Last year out of the blue I received an email asking about one of the photographs I've featured on my blog. This happens fairly often, but this time the source knocked me for a loop: it was the people who were amassing exhibits for the long-awaited Walt Disney Museum underway up in San Francisco, in the stunningly beautiful Presidio. Would I be amenable to helping? Is Fred Moore my favorite good girl artist? Is the Blackwing a pencil?

Of course I was happy to be able to help out in any way however small. When dropping my original off I was privileged to be shown an elaborate virtual walkthrough, examples of exhibits, and an overall idea of what the museum would be and look like. I found it utterly exhilarating. Truly worthy of Disney's oft-expressed vision of educating coupled with appeal and fun, it's clearly been based on his own approaches to those goals.
    full post at:
    The Blackwing Diaries

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^ Jenny Lerew
    Friday 9/25

At the Walt Disney Museum afterparty yukking it up with Pete Docter & other Calarts folk. It's a blast!
    Nice heated party tent-it's cold up here at night, imagine-and lots of excellent Puck food, jazz combo. http://yfrog.com/0ausbxj
    https://twitter.com/blackwingjenny

Smile Re: Now Open-Walt Disney Family Museum

Went to the museum yesterday for the D23 preview. AMAZING does not do this museum justice. I was there for 3 hours and truly only really saw 3 of the 10 rooms. This is a must see for any Disney fan. Plan on a long day or staying in the City for the weekend if you are from out of town. The museum is so thought out that you really feel that you know every process of Walt's short life. The video is so clear and all the art my god the art. From story boards, concept, model sheets most of which I have never seen. It has the most amazing model of Disneyland from 1959. Oh yes don't worry there is shopping. All I can say is GO just GO. Best $20 you will ever spend.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Now Open-http://micechat.com/forums/images/editor/menupoWalt Disney Family Museum

Quote Originally Posted by dznycat View Post
    Went to the museum yesterday for the D23 preview. AMAZING does not do this museum justice. I was there for 3 hours and truly only really saw 3 of the 10 rooms. This is a must see for any Disney fan. Plan on a long day or staying in the City for the weekend if you are from out of town. The museum is so thought out that you really feel that you know every process of Walt's short life. The video is so clear and all the art my god the art. From story boards, concept, model sheets most of which I have never seen. It has the most amazing model of Disneyland from 1959. Oh yes don't worry there is shopping. All I can say is GO just GO. Best $20 you will ever spend.
    Actually, the model is "Walt's Disneyland," a representation of all the attractions operating in the park, and those in development, at the end of Walt's life. That's why you see Tomorrowland 1967--which opened months after Walt's death--complete with the PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress and Adventure Thru Inner-Space. It also shows a more fanciful Space Mountain that matches the original concept art from the 1960s. "Walt's Disneyland" is truly an astounding display that you could study for hours. It makes Olszewski look like a rank amateur. The details and whimsical touches are exquisite.

You are right, though, "amazing" does not describe the experience. By the end of our visit, I was running out of superlatives to describe it. Not just in the memorabilia and artifacts that are there, but the way all of it is displayed and integrated with the many interactive high-tech video screens and kiosks.

We managed to squeeze in 4 hours and could've easily stayed longer (we would've turned off the lights and locked up, honest). This is a museum that warrants multiple visits to truly appreciate. If you only have a day to spare, reserve your entry time at or near opening. You will be there all day, trust me.

Wow.

• time to go

Re: Now Open-http://micechat.com/forums/images/editor/menupoWalt Disney Family Museum

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    We managed to squeeze in 4 hours and could've easily stayed longer (we would've turned off the lights and locked up, honest). This is a museum that warrants multiple visits to truly appreciate. If you only have a day to spare, reserve your entry time at or near opening. You will be there all day, trust me.
    This is one of the major issues that needs to be addressed better in the museum's information. They list an average visit time of 90 minutes. I doubt you could see even half of the museum in that time, unless you were a speed reader and skipped all of the interactive displays.

For folks who are from out-of-town and will only have one chance to visit, they need to realize that this museum is not organized like most others, which typically have the ticket entry at the front doors, making ALL of the museum accessible throughout the day. This is not the case with WDFM.

The entrance is separate from the membership/ticket desk, gift shop, theatre, and small cafe, like many museums. However, entrance into the museum proper is granted with time-sensitive tickets, not all-day passes as most other museums. Therefore, if you want to see the exhibits and have plenty of hours to do so, you must realize that once you leave the museum proper, that's it. You're done for the day.

Staying in the museum from your timed entry to closing is allowed, but not especially practical. No food or drinks are allowed inside, so that becomes an issue for some folks for medical reasons. Also, seating inside the museum is very limited to a few benches here and there. If you need to stop and rest and get off your feet after an hour or so of standing, be aware that you might need to walk a bit to the next gallery to find a place to park your weary, uh, feet.

As others have mentioned, the museum is absolutely wonderful! Bruce Gordon landed the position as show producer after leaving WDI, and he did a fabulous job on all of the interactive exhibits. Hats off to Bruce (r.i.p.), Jeff Kurtti, and Paula Lowery for all of their hard work.

Unfortunately, one visit really isn't long enough to take it all in, unless you're willing to risk malnutrition and dehydration which I really wouldn't advise. It's easy to get into trouble on warm days without enough fluid refreshment.

It would be nice if the museum could furnish a one-page tip sheet with a general layout of the museum, highlighting the "extra special" exhibits like the interactive media stations and Walt's Disneyland model, for those who have less than two hours to spend visiting. That way, something that would be of special interest to a particular visitor won't be missed because of lack of time.

I'm glad I decided to become a founding member earlier this summer, and look forward to all of the member events the museum will host in the upcoming year. I've finally found a reason to haul my butt across town and visit the Presidio more often.

And even though photography/videography is not allowed inside the museum proper, don't forget to bring your camera! The view of the Golden Gate Bridge behind the museum is delicious!
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Je-Knee Dis-Knee

headed there now!!!! cant waitttttttttttttttttttt!

didnt even read what anyone wrote or look stuff up so i can keep it all a surprise!

<3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 333333333333333333

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Disney museum a lesson for building in Presidio

Disney museum a lesson for building in Presidio
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

There was a 2 page article in the Chicago SunTimes today about this museum. I wish that I lived closer, so that I could go visit.

I lookk forward to reading everyone's reviews about their experiences.

• Disneylander

I went today and it was fabulous. Lots of great interactive exhibits, great cartoons, insight into Walt's life - both his family and work, and I learned things I'd never known. It was a great time. We spent about 2 hours going through the main museum. My favorite part was the model of Walt's dreams of Disneyland, but I also liked the history of the main characters section, and seeing all of the cameras - the multiplane, the circarama, etc. The interactivity was really well done. They used the voices of Walt and Roy wherever possible, which was a really nice touch.
    I didn't see everything and am looking forward to going back soon.
    As others have mentioned, the view of the Golden Gate bridge from the back of the museum is epic.
    With the size of the museum, the timed ticket entry is essential. The cafe and eating area is very small, and there wasn't much selection, could be a factor of the preview. The gift shop offered excellent items I had not seen in the Disney Store, at D23 Expo or in the parks.

• Je-Knee Dis-Knee

the museum ...or what i had time to see was AMAZING! every walt disney fan NEEDS to go! there was SO much memorabilia and information. I particularly liked the lil videos of the family everywhere. they looked like a fun loving, happy, and SILLY family! i wish we were related !

The end reminded me of the snow white ride though (just think of how the ride ends)...fightin tears as i was walkin out. shed a couple but dont tell my friends

anyways highly recommended. I will be going back soon so i can have more time!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
    As others have mentioned, the view of the Golden Gate bridge from the back of the museum is epic.
    This is a shot I took in Gallery 8 - Walt Disney and the Natural World. It doesn't do justice to how spectacular the view really is.

BTW, this is the only location in the museum where photos are allowed, and then only as long as your camera is pointed away from the exhibits.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    This is a shot I took in Gallery 8 - Walt Disney and the Natural World. It doesn't do justice to how spectacular the view really is.

BTW, this is the only location in the museum where photos are allowed, and then only as long as your camera is pointed away from the exhibits.
    I couldn't believe that view either. I am glad you got a photo of it. Was it just me or should the TVs in that room have been facing you as you walk down the hall instead of turning around? I hope somebody was able to sneak a pic of that the "Walt's Disneyland" model. You can look over that thing for hours and find new things.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast