• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

From Rorschach to Freddy Krueger

'Nightmare' has its new Freddy

By Borys Kit
    The Hollywood Reporter
    April 3, 2009

Jackie Earle Haley is the new Freddy Krueger.

The actor will star as the iconic screen villain in New Line's redo of "A Nightmare on Elm Street," taking over the role that was played by Robert Englund.

The original "Nightmare," released in 1984, helped establish New Line and spawned a slew of movies. Krueger is a serial child killer murdered by angry parents who returns to terrorize teens in their dreams.

Krueger's burned face, his razor glove and his red-and-green sweater became instantly recognizable images as well as popular Halloween costumes.

Samuel Bayer is directing the relaunch, which was written by Wesley Strick. The pic starts lensing May 5 in Chicago.

Platinum Dunes’ Andrew Form and Brad Fuller are producing. John Rickard is co-producing. Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter are overseeing for New Line.

The role would cap a whirlwind couple of years for Haley, who made a splash in the 1970s as a child star in movies like "The Bad News Bears" then faded in the early 1990s. He left the business, and wound up working odd jobs in Texas.

Haley burst back on the scene in 2006 playing a pedophile in Todd Field's "Little Children," and also appeared in “Semi-Pro” with Will Ferrell, both for New Line, and indie drama "Winged Creature." He was praised for his portrayal of Rorschach in the recent "Watchmen" and next appears in Martin Scorsese’s "Shutter Island."

“Looking at his performance in 'Watchmen,’ here’s a guy playing a character under a mask yet you feel tremendous empathy for him,” said Bayer of the actor. “And in Nightmare,’ he is going to be under prosthetic make-up. You have to feel something for the character. The greatest villains are multi-dimensional and I think he will bring that to the character.”

Bayer, who called this take of Krueger “Nosferatu meets Ed Gaines,” is not
    afraid that Hayley is in any danger of being typecast the way Englund was.

“It’s what you bring to the material. He’s a well-rounded actor who will not
    be stereotyped by this. If anything, he’ll be celebrated for it.”
    http://www.riskybusinessblog.com/200...ew-freddy.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: From Rorschach to Freddy Krueger

aw, crap. More Freddy movies. Will it EVER end?

• Banned User

-sigh-

Originality.

Get some, Hollywood.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

altho i'm not sure how i feel about a Nightmare redo, i am pretty happy with Jackie Earl Haley as the choice for Freddy, between his performances in Little Children and The Watchmen i think he's a great choice
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

yeah so i don't know how i feel about the remake but the choice for the new freddy is awesome!

• Goofy

awww noooo. noboby, and I mean nobody can replace the original freddie krueger.

• Inappropriate

i'm fine with the choice, but really? Is hollywood just out of horror ideas?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!