View Poll Results: Better Batman Series? Current, or 90's Versions?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman from the 90's?

1 7.69%
  • Chris Nolan's Batman?

8 61.54%
  • Neither

2 15.38%
  • The Original Series Movie w/Adam West Tops Both of Em!

2 15.38%

• Minion

Best Movie Series - Batman - Current w/Christian Bale or the 90's Franchise?

Some of you might have seen the Best Movie Series Poll. And yes, I'm still kicking myself for adding Fast & Furious, but not Indy or Back to the Future.

But here's another one I kinda forgot, but it creates a question in itself.

What do you think is the better of the Batman movie series? The current Chris Nolan series, or do you think the franchise from the 90s starting with the first one in 89 with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson, directed by Tim Burton?

Or perhaps neither? Because we all know they both have their positives and negatives. With the old series, it started out great. Jack as the Joker was one of a kind, and has been compared to Heath's joker in the Dark Knight. The concept started out great, but went downhill. In my opinion, it soon became about who would be the next villian, and who would play he/she. And of course, who would play Batman after Keaton stepped away after the 2nd movie. And there was also all the marketing, from soundtracks to happy meals. Not to mention acting and script or the writing.

And with the new series, it started out great, showing how Wayne became Batman. And the second one showing he got the moniker of the dark knight. And yes, we can always go on and on talking about Heath's performance in DK. But one complaint I always here with the new series is how Bale portrays Batmans voice, being to.....gruffy I think is the word....talking heavy under his breath. I wonder if it might have something to do with trying to take out the british accent that he normally speaks with. He does well when he's playing Wayne, but when he's Batman, he has to produce an entirely different voice. Could the accent have a role in that, or is he just plain trying to hard? And like with the 90's franchise, I think it's once again starting to become about the next villian and who will play him or her. After DK, it was all about the next villian with rumors popping up with Johnny Depp to play Riddler, or Angelina to play Catwoman, and Phillip Seymore Hoffman to play Penguin. But do feel free to share who you might like to see as a Batman villian in the new series.

But enough of my rambling, let us know what you feel is better of the two?
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 04-16-2009 at 07:01 AM.

• Senior Minion

Re: Best Movie Series - Batman - Current w/Christian Bale or the 90's Franchise?

I cannot and will not vote in this poll.

All three screen incarnations of the Batman franchise have had positive attributes.

I love the sense of fun and good humour of the Adam West show and movie.
    I love darkness and reality of the Nolan movies.
    I love how the '90s movies fell between these two extremes.

The 90s movies had the worst consitancy and progressively went downhill from a very high starting point.
    Dark Knight bettered Begins (in most people's opinion anyway - I don't agree) and so is going in the opposite direction.
    The TV show was consistant throughout.

However, this question is like comparing apples with pears.

To throw a spanner in the works I will vote for Batman: The Animated Series - long considered the definitive screen adaptation of the comics.

As for te next villain - Nolan has already suggested that it will not be Catwoman. I would like to see a more obscure one like those in Begins - Hush maybe?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• mountains beyond mtns.

Re: Best Movie Series - Batman - Current w/Christian Bale or the 90's Franchise?

I'll vote for Batman the Animated Series as well and believe Kevin Conroy to be the definitive voice for Batman/Bruce Wayne.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I think we covered this topic pretty well when The Dark Knight came out.

My opinion remains the same as it was then.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

OKay.......I love the original, campy Batman. THere...I said it.

The Original Series Movie w/Adam West Tops Both of Em!
    thanE

• Goofy

well consider the technology was different back then. I like all of them.

• would love some pie

Christopher Nolan wins for me, though I have enjoyed most of the franchise through the years. On that note, I really really don't like Christian Bale. His Batman voice is just awful and really detracts from every scene Batman is in.
    KABLAM!

• Goofy

i knew you'd be here mickeymouse pal. lol.

• Animation Domination

What about Batman: Mask of the Phantasm or SubZero with Batman and Robin?
    "You are watching FOX"

• Seasick

The Adam West movie is so-so in my opinion, but the TV show was sublime. Can we get a DVD already pretty pretty please?

I don't think I can honestly compare the Adam West version to the Nolan version. They're very different beasts, and both are brilliant in their own right.

I will say the brilliantly campy & witty TV show is much much better than the campy and terrible Joel Schumacher films.

Comparing Nolan to Burton, I prefer the Nolan films, though both are good movies. The second Burton one, not quite so much. It feels too much like a Tim Burton film than what I think a Batman film should feel like.

I think the Nolan films are brilliant. I like the first better, by a small margin.

I particularly like the realism. They make you believe that the events portrayed could actually happen. A character like Superman doesn't have to be realistic, because the premise is pure fantasy. Batman, being a human character, is harder to make believable. They pull it off.

I like the voice Bale uses for Batman. It adds to the realism, making me believe people can't figure out who he is. It's part of the disguise. Compare that to Superman/Clark Kent - having no one notice the similarities stretches realism, to put it mildly.

I also like that they managed to re-tell the Batman origin story that we all know by heart, and it felt fresh.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    What about Batman: Mask of the Phantasm or SubZero with Batman and Robin?
    Aren't they just feature length spin-offs from The Animated Series?

I also quite like The Batman cartoon show - it has a nice sense of humour although I don't like the liberties that they have taken with some of the characters (mainly The Joker)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post

I also quite like The Batman cartoon show - it has a nice sense of humour although I don't like the liberties that they have taken with some of the characters (mainly The Joker)
    I personally think they did a good job with taking some of the characters (i.e, Mr. Freeze).

Although I did enjoy the 1989 Tim Burton film, The Christopher Nolan movies are for me.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post

Some of you may, or may not know. The voice of the Joker from the animated series, as well as the Justice League episodes, AND Batman Beyond Return of the Joker was Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker from Star Wars Eps 4 thru 6. He also did the voice of the hobgoblin in the Spiderman animated series.