• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney's Zoradi on 3-D tech standards & a 3-D 'Toy Story 3' teaser trailer

Speaking during the Show's Digital Cinema Summit on Sunday, April 19, Mark Zoradi, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Group, presented the keynote address during the 2009 NAB Show held April 18-23 in Las Vegas. Zoradi offered first-hand insights and news about digital 3D as well as 3D delivery across multiple platforms. And a new 3-D teaser trailer for "Toy Story 3."

full story at:

NAB probes future of 3-D

Disney's Mark Zoradi calls for technical standards

NAB probes future of 3-D

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Disney's Zoradi on 3-D tech standards & a 3-D 'Toy Story 3' teaser trailer

The question that kept being asked at this weekend's Digital Cinema Summit was "is 3D a fad or the future?" The consensus was it was the future, so long as there are enough screens to support it, hence the cry for 3D standards across both theatrical and home-based platforms and a push for all movie theaters to upgrade to digital projection and audio.

I think it's overly optimistic to believe that 3D standards will be set within a year because there's already so much proprietary technology out there and a lot of theater owners are either waiting for standards to be implemented or are just playing catchup with what's already in place. The change will come eventually, however, if only because Hollywood may have learned its lesson in the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD battle (just ask anyone who backed HD DVD). As Zoradi noted, "A format war is never good for anybody" (which is easy for him to say, since Disney bet on Blu-ray).

The technology is definitely exciting though. I saw some spectacular film clips this weekend. It may be gilding the lily, but Disney's 3D rendering of "Beauty and the Beast" looks amazing.

• Sock Puppet

Re: Disney's Zoradi on 3-D tech standards & a 3-D 'Toy Story 3' teaser trailer

It amazes me how old school videos can be mastered and restored digitaly.It just makes classic movies look new again.

Disneytim: I saw one of your vintage video and they are awesome. I wish I can do something like what you did. They are so precious.