Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

Quote Originally Posted by astrologic View Post
    Oh and one last thing, I can't believe you'd call that cinematography "crap." Sheesh.
    I agree. Filming must have been difficult. The movies producer was on Martha Stewart on Wednesday, and he revealed that they had the challenge of filming without being noticed while still getting beautiful shots among other things.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Disney did well. You and your kids should know nature is harsh, and should have been prepared for some depressing scenes. And none of the death scenes were ever gory and detailed. That is REAL LIFE you are watching. I'm glad Disney didn't feel the need to sugarcoat it. That would have been pathetic. I mean, in Bambi the mother gets shot by a hunter, and your kids have probably seen it. And, because your kids know "somewhat" of the food chain, it is your fault for taking them to this movie without them being properly educated.

It's sad you felt like walking out of a piece of art, and it seems you failed to miss the big picture. Those animals showed AMAZING stories, even through all their hardships.

Oh and one last thing, I can't believe you'd call that cinematography "crap." Sheesh.

I totally agree.

• Banned User

Disney did well. You and your kids should know nature is harsh, and should have been prepared for some depressing scenes. And none of the death scenes were ever gory and detailed. That is REAL LIFE you are watching. I'm glad Disney didn't feel the need to sugarcoat it. That would have been pathetic. I mean, in Bambi the mother gets shot by a hunter, and your kids have probably seen it. And, because your kids know "somewhat" of the food chain, it is your fault for taking them to this movie without them being properly educated.

It's sad you felt like walking out of a piece of art, and it seems you failed to miss the big picture. Those animals showed AMAZING stories, even through all their hardships.

Yes, because the previews clearly showed signs of what was to come. Did you see the same previews I did? And my kids are properly educated. That doesn't mean I want to take them to a movie about animals dying. They know slightly about sex and murder from the news but I don't take them to an orgy or a mass murder.

It's not the fact that there was this stuff in the movie, it's that they ran a trailer showing it as a fluffy family movie. I stated that the cinematography was stunning. I know it wasn't easy to get any of the shots. It's what I call "false advertising" that gets me. Had we known about the death scenes we simply would have skipped the movie. And it's not just us, I'm literally reading dozens and dozens of reviews from parents stating the same thing.
    Last edited by draybook; 04-26-2009 at 06:13 PM.

• ~Mambo Italiano~

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    Yes, because the previews clearly showed signs of what was to come. Did you see the same previews I did? And my kids are properly educated. That doesn't mean I want to take them to a movie about animals dying. They know slightly about sex and murder from the news but I don't take them to an orgy or a mass murder.

It's not the fact that there was this stuff in the movie, it's that they ran a trailer showing it as a fluffy family movie. I stated that the cinematography was stunning. I know it wasn't easy to get any of the shots. It's what I call "false advertising" that gets me. Had we known about the death scenes we simply would have skipped the movie. And it's not just us, I'm literally reading dozens and dozens of reviews from parents stating the same thing.
    Well, the story of the movie is the daring journey these animals need to go on....you could on imagine the obstacles they need to go through.

• Banned User

Yeah, it was a great movie. I was deeply saddened by the elephant that wandered in the wrong direction.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Just because the previews showed a "fluffy family movie" (I didn't get that impression?) doesn't mean it was going to be... fluffy. The previews stated you would be following families through journeys. Surely you didn't think the journeys would be all fine and good.

It's a documentary. Documentaries are real and hard hitting. Leaving the tragic details out would be falsifying the animals' experiences.

• Banned User

Just because the previews showed a "fluffy family movie" (I didn't get that impression?) doesn't mean it was going to be... fluffy. The previews stated you would be following families through journeys. Surely you didn't think the journeys would be all fine and good.

It's a documentary. Documentaries are real and hard hitting. Leaving the tragic details out would be falsifying the animals' experiences.

Well, seeing as how it was a "Disney" movie with a G rating, yeah I kind of did expect it to be all cute and cuddly. And apparently so did hundreds of other parents that have been complaining in their reviews.

• Banned User

I dont think his fault. I agree w/draybook on the fact that disney put a G rating on a movie and the previews lead you to believe it was an educational family film.My kids are very informed around nature and the food chain...You obviously didn't have to see your child cry. My daughter hide her face and cried the whole time. If Disney had giving it a better decription then I for one would have known not to take her to it.As for the Bambie movie its alittle different knowing what happened to the mother then actually seeing it first hand.It just wasn't my child either.Other parents had the same issue. The movie itself was very educational and great, but just not for kids under 13.
    Last edited by RUNMYHORSE; 04-26-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Disney should be ashamed by putting their name on this crap. My kids are semi sheltered, in that I don't let them watch overly violent movies or play overly violent games. They know somewhat about the cycle of nature and life, and the food chain.

However, when you stamp a G rating on a movie and add the Disney name to it, it's hard to have a child sit through a slow motion death of an animal and then try to justify it. The only notion of "Earth Day" was the mentioning of the ice drying up each year.

This is the second movie ever that I've considered walking out on, and the other one was Cabin Fever. I've read many reviews of other people having the same experience and many of them had their children crying when they left or walked out.

Disney, be ashamed. This could have been a great movie, with stunning cinematography and narration. Instead it was a blatant contradiction to the warm and fuzzy previews that you see on tv. In the words of Dave Chappelle, "I wish I had two more hands so I could give this movie four thumbs down!"
    Ashame of reality in a nature movie i do not think so.

I think that it would be worse if Disney made the movie all cuddly and unreal that is what junk like madagascar is for.

Maybe you were just not paying attention because the preview as well as all the special shown on television including the Disney channel mentioned that the movie has real life scenes that might be too intense for some children.

It truely is a shame that some people are too overly protected with their children that they are even afraid of intorducing them to the realities of nature. How is our future suppose to understand the importance of the cirle of life and the necesisty for the care of our planet if parents sugar coat everything.

There is a big diference between orgies, mass murder and humanly produced violence and natures reality of survivor in this harsh world

I loved it! And i cant wait for the next one. The preview looks great. What is it called again? Ocean I think.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Maybe you were just not paying attention because the preview as well as all the special shown on television including the Disney channel mentioned that the movie has real life scenes that might be too intense for some children.

It truly is a shame that some people are too overly protected with their children that they are even afraid of introducing them to the realities of nature. How is our future suppose to understand the importance of the cirle of life and the necessity for the care of our planet if parents sugar coat everything.

There is a big difference between orgies, mass murder and humanly produced violence and natures reality of survivor in this harsh world

Apparently you have trouble reading. My kids know about death and nature. That doesn't mean I want to take them to a movie to show them animals dying. My kids are respectful, grateful and well behaved. I'm proud to say that my children are slightly "over protected". It beats having kids that are in juvey hall due to being desensitized.

That being said, here's the trailer that was shown in our area: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G06r7eKKjkI]YouTube - Earth Trailer by Disney Nature (HD)[/ame]

There's a 2 second part where the shark is airborne with a seal in it's mouth, but it was quick and semi hard to see if you're not looking for it. Maybe we just lucked out and didn't get the trailer talking about some violent scenes.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You think these scenes were bad? The Los Angeles Times stated that Disney edited some of them so that this movie could get a G rating. It could have been a lot worse.

Of course, Disney could have left the scenes out all together. But then what would that teach our children about nature and all of its awe and complexity. This is a part of life. Species including our own cannot survive without it.
    I found this movie to be very educational for my 10 year old. And I left the theatre filled for once with hope for our future.

• Banned User

Hello.......is my English button working?

I found nothing wrong with the footage. It's the fact that it troubled my daughter and that it was unexpected that got to us. I'm glad that your children enjoyed it and were able to deal with the death easier than mine. Honestly, it didn't even bother my son, just my daughter.

• Banned User

Hello.......is my English button working?

I found nothing wrong with the footage. It's the fact that it troubled my daughter and that it was unexpected that got to us. I'm glad that your children enjoyed it and were able to deal with the death easier than mine. Honestly, it didn't even bother my son, just my daughter.
    Well every child handles death different. My daughter is a big animal lover and loves to learn about them. She helps me bottle feed baby animals who mothers cant. Like I said before she understand the foodchain and nature. It just wasn't her type of film.. My only complaint is it wasnt properly rated and no warning. I made the mistake of seeing the name Disney w/a G rating so I assumed it was more geared for the younger/mild kids and that any child could see the film and learn about the life of the animals..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast