Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57
  1. #31

    • living in the sprawl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the University of Kansas
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    I guess I don't get why everyone thinks this movie was MADE for kids. It was a documentary. I'm not sure how many kids watch documentaries for fun. And just because it's labeled as "Disney," don't assume it's gonna be problem free. They were also partnered with the BBC and others.

    I'm 19 and I still was disturbed to see some of the scenes, but it's a fact of life. It's something those animals deal with every day, and still overcome all odds. That was the main point. Without the 'sad' scenes, there honestly wouldn't have been a plot at all. What fun would it be to watch those elephants make the journey without any problems at all? Not much entertainment in that. In fact, it would be false information. And I'm pretty sure that would defeat the purpose of an informative documentary.

    On another note, I too am so excited for Oceans! Though I'm afraid of open water (I can't stand not seeing what's underneath me), I'm still gonna check this movie out.



  2. #32

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    21

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    I dont remember anyone saying that this film was MADE for kids. Its just that the G rating,previews, and the Disney name made it seem like something kids and adults could enjoy.There was no caution to let parents w/ kids like my daughter (who gets upset about that sort of thing) know. My daughter loves to learn so Yes she would watch it just for fun. She plans on being a vet as she gets older. She loves animals. And I do believe it could have been just as entertaining w/out all the death in it. I dont understand why some people believe that there has to be death and ect. in a film in order for it to be entertaining.Im sorry to say ,but that just isnt true.There are other hardship out there besides being eaten to death. Im not saying this to get anyone in a twist, but I mean death in a movie isnt everything in entertainment.Kids like to learn about the same things as we do, but it doesnt have to be done in a form to scare and upset them.
    Last edited by RUNMYHORSE; 04-27-2009 at 12:18 PM.

  3. #33

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    21

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    Quote Originally Posted by astrologic View Post
    Disney did well. You and your kids should know nature is harsh, and should have been prepared for some depressing scenes. And none of the death scenes were ever gory and detailed. That is REAL LIFE you are watching. I'm glad Disney didn't feel the need to sugarcoat it. That would have been pathetic. I mean, in Bambi the mother gets shot by a hunter, and your kids have probably seen it. And, because your kids know "somewhat" of the food chain, it is your fault for taking them to this movie without them being properly educated.

    It's sad you felt like walking out of a piece of art, and it seems you failed to miss the big picture. Those animals showed AMAZING stories, even through all their hardships.

    Oh and one last thing, I can't believe you'd call that cinematography "crap." Sheesh.
    wow! this really bothered me. ITS YOUR FAULT for taking your kids w/out being properly educated. WOW! lets get the pitchforks and stones now. Dray must be a bad person for wanting to protect his children from the harshness of the film which like he said had no warning that it may not be suited for certain kids. You can go to yahoo and to movies and then go the Disney planet earth and read the reviews.Obvisouly there are tons of uneducated kids.............................................. .................... READ OTHER PARENTS REVIEWS BEFORE YOU CAST JUDGEMENT OR IF YOU DONT HAVE YOUR OWN KIDS.
    Last edited by RUNMYHORSE; 04-27-2009 at 12:52 PM.

  4. #34

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    bringing it back
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    I think those complaining about the "G" rating for the film and saying how Disney misled them. Disney didn't rate the film. Admittedly, I was surprised afterwards that it wasn't a PG film, but that wasn't a decision made by Disney. March of the Penguins was also marketed as "a cute animal movie", though they show the harsh reality of penguin life in that film too.

    I think it was a great film, I highly recommend seeing it, even if you've seen Planet Earth. The narration wasn't bad to me either, it did remind me of the True Life Adventure films and that's a good thing.

    ErikAnders.smugmug.com

    Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ


    1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

  5. #35

    • living in the sprawl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the University of Kansas
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    Quote Originally Posted by RUNMYHORSE View Post
    I dont remember anyone saying that this film was MADE for kids. Its just that the G rating,previews, and the Disney name made it seem like something kids and adults could enjoy.There was no caution to let parents w/ kids like my daughter (who gets upset about that sort of thing) know. My daughter loves to learn so Yes she would watch it just for fun. She plans on being a vet as she gets older. She loves animals. And I do believe it could have been just as entertaining w/out all the death in it. I dont understand why some people believe that there has to be death and ect. in a film in order for it to be entertaining.Im sorry to say ,but that just isnt true.There are other hardship out there besides being eaten to death. Im not saying this to get anyone in a twist, but I mean death in a movie isnt everything in entertainment.Kids like to learn about the same things as we do, but it doesnt have to be done in a form to scare and upset them.
    Yes, but for the purpose of a documentary, the death scenes are necessary. And if your daughter is going to be a vet someday, she will have to be dealing with death every day.

    Quote Originally Posted by RUNMYHORSE View Post
    wow! this really bothered me. ITS YOUR FAULT for taking your kids w/out being properly educated. WOW! lets get the pitchforks and stones now. Dray must be a bad person for wanting to protect his children from the harshness of the film which like he said had no warning that it may not be suited for certain kids. You can go to yahoo and to movies and then go the Disney planet earth and read the reviews.Obvisouly there are tons of uneducated kids.............................................. .................... READ OTHER PARENTS REVIEWS BEFORE YOU CAST JUDGEMENT OR IF YOU DONT HAVE YOUR OWN KIDS.
    So maybe he should have read the reviews before taking his kids? I wasn't judging the kids. He said so himself they were knew "somewhat" of the food chain. I didn't just pull that out of the air. And I'm not "casting stones." I'm stating an opinion, as he stated his. There is nothing wrong with that. And I do believe you are judging me, so please don't be hypocritical.



  6. #36

    • living in the sprawl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the University of Kansas
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    Basically, everyone is going to find something to complain about. If Disney would have left out sad scenes, people would have complained about it being unreal.

    And keep in mind THIS FILM WAS NOT ENTIRELY DISNEY! It was with BBC and others! I think everyone should stop using them as a scapegoat. They were simply putting out an informative documentary, not some fictional happy movie about three families.

    But everyone seems to forget these major details for their own convenience.

    Can't we appreciate the beauty of nature, and the fact that these animals are stronger than we give them credit for?
    Last edited by astrologic; 04-27-2009 at 03:55 PM.



  7. #37

    •   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    14,599
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    I enjoyed it very much. I understand they used a lot of "Planet Earth" footage. The few people i know who have not liked it, didn't like it because of it's climate change message. (One they don't believe in)

    As for the kids...I brought my 5 year old daughter to see it. They show a Cheetah chasing a small deer like animal in slow motion. Doesn't end well for the Deer. They show a pack of Lions attempting to take down an elephant. They show a Polar bear on the verge of starvation.

    I want my children to see these images, from the Cheetah to the Polar Bear. It is important that they understand how nature can be. I am glad they showed the Polar bear to illustrate the point if the animal is too weak or old to hunt, it will die. So what the Cheetah an lions were doing was necessary. No Blood was shown. It was well done.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

    YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

  8. #38

    • living in the sprawl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the University of Kansas
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post

    I want my children to see these images, from the Cheetah to the Polar Bear. It is important that they understand how nature can be. I am glad they showed the Polar bear to illustrate the point if the animal is too weak or old to hunt, it will die. So what the Cheetah an lions were doing was necessary. No Blood was shown. It was well done.
    Thank you! It was very tastefully done. The polar bear's death was peaceful, and we should be amazed at his willingness to try and survive against all odds, instead of complaining.

    And, keep in mind, if the cheetahs and lions didn't hunt, then your kids would have to watch THEM die. Sooo, yeah. Time to face the music.

    We all wanted the underdogs to survive, me included, but life isn't that way. Not even Disney can make it so.



  9. #39

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    21

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    Quote Originally Posted by astrologic View Post
    Yes, but for the purpose of a documentary, the death scenes are necessary. And if your daughter is going to be a vet someday, she will have to be dealing with death every day.



    So maybe he should have read the reviews before taking his kids? I wasn't judging the kids. He said so himself they were knew "somewhat" of the food chain. I didn't just pull that out of the air. And I'm not "casting stones." I'm stating an opinion, as he stated his. There is nothing wrong with that. And I do believe you are judging me, so please don't be hypocritical.
    First off, ok. He didnt read the movie reviews probably didnt think he needed to with all the other things. I didnt think about it until after i saw the movie. My daughter does deal w/death almost on a daily bases. we have 125 acres and people are always dropping sick animals off and starved animals.We try to save as many as possible, but cant save them all. I dont forget anything for my own convience. My kids see the harsh reality of this world everyday just by looking at the news. Do we really need to put the violence in the film for them. We also own 9 horse and cattle. I have had so many friends killed and hurt by them so I know first hand how powerful they are..2) I wasnt judging anyone. I just thought it was unfair that you would say that to a father/mother. As a mother no one wants to see their child upset or harmed. It just seemed like you were saying You upset your child by taking them to a movie that you had no idea what it had in it. That to me is like saying if you get sick from a friend that didnt know they were sick then its your fault cause you should have already known. i was just saying that was something you should never say to a parent. And even if his kids were some what informed makes no matter what so ever. He didnt know that was in there so thats what the point is. If whoever put the movie out weather it be disney or bbc or whoever they should have caution parents so they knew what to expect. 3)I never said the movie wasnt beautifully done cause it was and I would recommend the movie to other people but poeple w/kids over 12 or who can deal w/the death scenes.4) it just seems like everyone is ganging upon dray cause he should have known. well he didnt and neither did thousands of others. Dray stated his mind on it and then everyone wants to bash him for it. You could have reframed from saying it was Your Fault.

  10. #40

    • I'll pencil this in later
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,530

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    I think you guys may be being a little too harsh. I do agree that kids do have to see the reality of life sooner or later. But it being rated G and Disney, perhaps people thought it appropriate to bring smaller kids, not thinking about the possibility of death and such tragedies in the animal kingdom being shown. Now, that doesn't make the movie 'crap' and it doesn't mean that 'Disney shouldn't put their name on it'. but maybe a little better advertising and forewarning could've easily made this situation avoidable. On the other hand, Disney isn't the one who rates the films, maybe a PG rating would've been more appropriate on the raters part.

  11. #41

    • Ursula
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY, but wanting to move to Disney World, where I can use my talents for tips!
    Posts
    256

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    ((I posted this on another board and seems relevant to this one as well.))

    I don't disagree, but I don't agree either. I think that the way parents are reacting to this movie would be the same as the way people reacted to Snow White and to The Lion King...they both had fear factors and they both made children cry, but they are BOTH classics...animated though they may be....it's still a factor.

    Now here is where the new stuff comes in:

    I think that, yes, a warning is needed, but also that a PG rating would've been a smarter idea. You can't exactly make a nature flick without it having death in it and it the death of actual animals not animated...although if we're going to get uppity about it than movies like The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty...and a many other disney animated classics should up their ratings from G to PG...just based on death alone.

    That's my buck-fifty on the matter.


    My home away from home! If I don't make it as a CP that's where I wanna work!
    (Picture Taken by Me!)

  12. #42

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    21

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayangelo View Post
    I think you guys may be being a little too harsh. I do agree that kids do have to see the reality of life sooner or later. But it being rated G and Disney, perhaps people thought it appropriate to bring smaller kids, not thinking about the possibility of death and such tragedies in the animal kingdom being shown. Now, that doesn't make the movie 'crap' and it doesn't mean that 'Disney shouldn't put their name on it'. but maybe a little better advertising and forewarning could've easily made this situation avoidable. On the other hand, Disney isn't the one who rates the films, maybe a PG rating would've been more appropriate on the raters part.
    Thank you. Thats what I was trying to say.It was a good movie just it should have been described alittle better and let the parents choose if their child is able to see this film. I had a hard time not knowing cause I do see disney as a family type film and didnt think that it would involve the death scenes.I wasnt trying to be mean or harsh.i just didnt understand why so many were jumping down dray about it when it wasnt just him and his family

  13. #43

    • living in the sprawl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the University of Kansas
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    I wasn't trying to "bash" dray. It was an opinion.



  14. #44

    • living in the sprawl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    the University of Kansas
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    Quote Originally Posted by RUNMYHORSE View Post
    You could have reframed from saying it was Your Fault.
    Be that as it may, what said is said and I can't take it back. I apologize.



  15. #45

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,989

    Re: Disney's 'Earth': Life's Rough and Then You Revel In It

    I took my 7 year old and I'm glad I did. There are family websites that specifically tell you what type scenes are in every movie. Granted it was rated G and looking back I think the G rating was appropriate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Life's Soundtrack
    By DisneyRoyalty in forum Fun and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 02:01 AM
  2. Life's unusual experiences...
    By justjohn in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 09:00 PM
  3. Life's Not So Raven For Cheetah Girls 3
    By tjcjr in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •