Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I saw a Screening of Princess & the Frog! John Lasseter sighting! No major spoile

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    THANKS for the "preview"!!!!!

Crap! I'm not a fan of Randy Newman's music, either. And I just made a similar comment about Alan Menken, wishing he would have been the one to do the music for this movie. I would have LOVED to hear how he would incorporate New Orlean Jazz music into a classic Disney fairy tale. It's one of the few types of music that he hasn't done, yet. Instead, we get Randy Newman's plunky toy piano music, bleah . Sorry to hear that my main concern about this movie is being confirmed.
    sigh...

Re: I saw a Screening of Princess & the Frog! John Lasseter sighting! No major spoile

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Thanks for that insight into the future!

I am a little disappointed in the 'references'. Surely this has already been done (and well) by Shrek and Enchanted? Does every animated fairy tale now need to be self-referencial?

Spoiler comment..... (Skip you fools!).....

Shag? He's the guy who did those wonderful Pink Panther designs a few years ago I think. I like his style but it is better suited to a United Artists cartoon from the 1950s than a Disney feature surely?
    Don't be disappointed yet! It's not THAT referential....just some fun stuff mostly for fans...like micechat folk...

Quote Originally Posted by migy21 View Post
    Awesome preview!
    I am interested in finding out how Tiana is a princess would you care to share in public? If not PM me please..please..please... Many thanks.
    Ok! But I said "No Major Spoilers"! so I will PM..

• or CBF

Post the spoilers with spoiler tags

[SPOILER] [/ SPOILER]

So it looks like this:

Spoiler
    See?
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

• Perennial Lurker

Red Face Re: I saw a Screening of Princess & the Frog! John Lasseter sighting! No major spoile

I am still working on those notes - I had them all done, and was posting them, when the internet gods smote my posting and I just haven't had the heart. I have a brief post on my blog, in the meantime. @RodeToad, I would definitely agree about the Kincaid-but-better. I think that Shag and the restaurant scene share influences but that it had a more directly deco feel to me. And, ITA on Randy Newman. I wish I could remember a single song but I can't and that speaks volumes for me.

• Perennial Lurker

Also, alas, no I did not see John Lassiter - though I don't know execs by sight, and now I am wondering if I did, and it is BUGGING me! Were you at the 5:00 or 7:00 screening?

Well, I'm a least glad to hear that the movie doesn't suck. Pity about the songs, though. WTF was Lasseter thinking? Oh well. Maybe it's a personal taste thing. At least Menken will be doing the music for Rapunzel.

Hey I was wondering... could you PM me those spoilers too? I'm a bit of a spoiler whore...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnaps View Post
    WTF was Lasseter thinking? Oh well. Maybe it's a personal taste thing. At least Menken will be doing the music for Rapunzel.
    John Lasseter was probably thinking - oh, Oscar-nominated and Oscar- winning music for 'Toy Story, 'A Bug's Life', "Toy Story 2', 'Monsters Inc.', 'Cars' - oh, and other soundtracks like 'The Natural' and 'Ragtime'.

Why not see and hear the film and its music for yourself before insulting it.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Oh I plan to give it a chance. I like Randy Newman, and I like Jazz. But we'll just have to see.

I'm still optimistic, but a bit skeptical as to Newman style in a fairy tale. I'm not knocking it at all.

• Perennial Lurker

OK, so here it is. I am trying to spoiler out the specifics, but, really, if you don't want to know, why are you here? ;-)

Style: This was a rough cut with a lot of mid-production scenes as in a Disney DVD deleted scenes feature. The completed scenes are lush, atmospheric hand-drawn Disney animation and gorrrr-geous! As I said earlier, the New Orleans scenes are evocative of Thomas Kincaid, but I think better, as the Monets that influence him, and the bayou is luminescent. One musical number is mainly art deco stills which is striking but not quite dynamic enough yet - probably due to the stage of development. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Story: I was glad to see they dropped the creepy stalker frog scene from the teaser trailer. Tiana is trying to earn money to buy a restaurant when she meets a prince who has been magically transformed by a voodoo spell into a frog.
    Spoiler
    She kisses him, and instead of returning him to human, she is transformed into a frog (if you don't want your kids to know that then hide the ads for the toys). The two amphibians go in search of a voodoo priestess who lives in the bayou who has the power to change them back. They need the kiss of a princess to change them back, and the only one available is the daughter of that night's Mardi Gras King, Charlotte, a rich southern belle and childhood friend of Tiana. In the meantime they must avoid the mechanations of Dr. Facilier who is using the Prince's manservant Vincent disguised as the prince to fool Charlotte in order to steal her fortune.

So far I found the love story a little bit strained as the prince didn't have a whole lot to recommend him, he doesn't really seem all that bright, and as a frog he's not that handsome. The adventure element was good once they work on the pacing a bit. There were some seriously creepy baddies - possibly even too creepy for a two year old princess fan.
    Spoiler
    They were like the shadows from Ghost.
    They didn't bother my six year old too much but a younger child might be really freaked by that.

Characters: Tiana: self-assured, independent, and intelligent. Many of our Disney Princesses are industrious, and on a scale of Ariel lackidaisicality to Cinderella servitude, Tiana is certainly on Cindy's side of the scale, working several waitress jobs to buy her own restaurant.
    Spoiler
    She spends much of the movie as a frog - maybe it was the stage of the animation but I was ready for her to change back into a human -
    I was a little bit sad when Beast transformed. She is admirably voiced by Anika Noni Rose of Dreamgirls and who we LOVE in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I am sure that Tiana will be a favorite of millions of little princesses.

Prince Naveen: sounds like a cross between the Nasonex bee and Steve Martin's Clouseau. He's a prince from the fictional country of Maldonia
    Spoiler
    and spends most of the movie in frog form. Basiclly he is a shiftless layabout who has to marry for money, which is what brings him to New Orleans to meet Miss Charlotte LaBouff.
    He's sweet and fairly charming but I thought he was more comic than romantic. He does display some heroism so if that all comes together it could go a long way toward redeeming him.

Dr. Facilier (Shadow Man): A credibly bad villain with a seriously freaky shadow. Voodoo witch doctor in hock to evil spirits.
    Vincent: I think I remember this guy from Enchanted when his name was "Nathaniel". Honestly, he's like exactly the same, even my 6-year-old said so when I asked her who he reminded her of.
    Louis: trumpet-playing alligator. Sweet-natured, probably needs a few more jokes.
    Ray: Sparsely toothed Creole firefly. Someone on one of the boards described him as "this movie's Sebastian" and that's accurate.
    Charlotte LaBouff: A fairy tale obsessed daughter of Big Daddy LeBouff. Childlike and good-hearted, she is indulged, but not spoiled, and I like that. She could easily have been Scarlett O'Hara or an evil stepsister.
    Mama Odie: the Yoda/Mr. Magoo-ish "fairy godmother" who helps the two
    Spoiler
    as they try to become human again.

The supporting cast of characters is colorful and admirably voiced by talents such as Oprah and John Goodman.
    Music: The Randy Newman music was pleasant enough, but I didn't find anything particularly memorable about any of the songs. It just seemed like they ran through the checklist of Nawlins musical styles (zydeco? check! dixieland? check! gospel? check!..). It lacked the hook that other Disney scorers have been able to deliver (*cough* Mencken! *cough*). It's passable - and at the risk of sounding like Woody Allen ("and the portions were so small"), I felt like it could've used more music, as there were a few lulls in the tempo.
    Overall, we definitely plan to see this again, and even as presented it's a very enjoyable movie experience. It's going to be absolutely stunning visually. The princess is spunky and independent, and in posession of talents and ambitions outside of her personal charms. They even back pedal a bit on the magical abilities of wishing stars, which I think for Disney is a big step. We were really excited to have this opportunity and I think with a few minor adjustments this will be another princess film that is in heavy rotation in the DVD changer. Thanks, Mr. Lassiter, and I'm sorry I missed you, and I take back everything bad I ever said about Nielsen, even though they have cost me my beloved Pushing Daisies, because they got me into this screening.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactushugr View Post
    OK, so here it is. I am trying to spoiler out the specifics, but, really, if you don't want to know, why are you here? ;-)

Style: This was a rough cut with a lot of mid-production scenes as in a Disney DVD deleted scenes feature. The completed scenes are lush, atmospheric hand-drawn Disney animation and gorrrr-geous! As I said earlier, the New Orleans scenes are evocative of Thomas Kincaid, but I think better, as the Monets that influence him, and the bayou is luminescent. One musical number is mainly art deco stills which is striking but not quite dynamic enough yet - probably due to the stage of development. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Story: I was glad to see they dropped the creepy stalker frog scene from the teaser trailer. Tiana is trying to earn money to buy a restaurant when she meets a prince who has been magically transformed by a voodoo spell into a frog.
    Spoiler
    She kisses him, and instead of returning him to human, she is transformed into a frog (if you don't want your kids to know that then hide the ads for the toys). The two amphibians go in search of a voodoo priestess who lives in the bayou who has the power to change them back. They need the kiss of a princess to change them back, and the only one available is the daughter of that night's Mardi Gras King, Charlotte, a rich southern belle and childhood friend of Tiana. In the meantime they must avoid the mechanations of Dr. Facilier who is using the Prince's manservant Vincent disguised as the prince to fool Charlotte in order to steal her fortune.

So far I found the love story a little bit strained as the prince didn't have a whole lot to recommend him, he doesn't really seem all that bright, and as a frog he's not that handsome. The adventure element was good once they work on the pacing a bit. There were some seriously creepy baddies - possibly even too creepy for a two year old princess fan.
    Spoiler
    They didn't bother my six year old too much but a younger child might be really freaked by that.

Characters: Tiana: self-assured, independent, and intelligent. Many of our Disney Princesses are industrious, and on a scale of Ariel lackidaisicality to Cinderella servitude, Tiana is certainly on Cindy's side of the scale, working several waitress jobs to buy her own restaurant.
    Spoiler
    She spends much of the movie as a frog - maybe it was the stage of the animation but I was ready for her to change back into a human -
    I was a little bit sad when Beast transformed. She is admirably voiced by Anika Noni Rose of Dreamgirls and who we LOVE in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I am sure that Tiana will be a favorite of millions of little princesses.

Prince Naveen: sounds like a cross between the Nasonex bee and Steve Martin's Clouseau. He's a prince from the fictional country of Maldonia
    Spoiler
    and spends most of the movie in frog form. Basiclly he is a shiftless layabout who has to marry for money, which is what brings him to New Orleans to meet Miss Charlotte LaBouff.
    He's sweet and fairly charming but I thought he was more comic than romantic. He does display some heroism so if that all comes together it could go a long way toward redeeming him.

Dr. Facilier (Shadow Man): A credibly bad villain with a seriously freaky shadow. Voodoo witch doctor in hock to evil spirits.
    Vincent: I think I remember this guy from Enchanted when his name was "Nathaniel". Honestly, he's like exactly the same, even my 6-year-old said so when I asked her who he reminded her of.
    Louis: trumpet-playing alligator. Sweet-natured, probably needs a few more jokes.
    Ray: Sparsely toothed Creole firefly. Someone on one of the boards described him as "this movie's Sebastian" and that's accurate.
    Charlotte LaBouff: A fairy tale obsessed daughter of Big Daddy LeBouff. Childlike and good-hearted, she is indulged, but not spoiled, and I like that. She could easily have been Scarlett O'Hara or an evil stepsister.
    Spoiler

The supporting cast of characters is colorful and admirably voiced by talents such as Oprah and John Goodman.
    Music: The Randy Newman music was pleasant enough, but I didn't find anything particularly memorable about any of the songs. It just seemed like they ran through the checklist of Nawlins musical styles (zydeco? check! dixieland? check! gospel? check!..). It lacked the hook that other Disney scorers have been able to deliver (*cough* Mencken! *cough*). It's passable - and at the risk of sounding like Woody Allen ("and the portions were so small"), I felt like it could've used more music, as there were a few lulls in the tempo.
    Overall, we definitely plan to see this again, and even as presented it's a very enjoyable movie experience. It's going to be absolutely stunning visually. The princess is spunky and independent, and in posession of talents and ambitions outside of her personal charms. They even back pedal a bit on the magical abilities of wishing stars, which I think for Disney is a big step. We were really excited to have this opportunity and I think with a few minor adjustments this will be another princess film that is in heavy rotation in the DVD changer. Thanks, Mr. Lassiter, and I'm sorry I missed you, and I take back everything bad I ever said about Nielsen, even though they have cost me my beloved Pushing Daisies, because they got me into this screening.

SPOILERS:
    Great notes! Still laughing about Nielsen. Enjoyed reading your thoughts and well put points. Here's another one on the Prince's accent: what about a mix of Senor Wences and Antonio Bandaras as the cat in Shrek? Also, I thought I saw one scene of shadows that was straight out of Night on Bald Mountain in Fantasia???? PS: I was at the 7.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Went to a screening of UP! this weekend (the very first one!!) and the VP of marketing for Pixar and Disney animation (something like that) was there. We got to see the Princess and the Frog trailer (first audience as well - but it is debuting on The Disney Channel tonight nad will be on AOL (or Apple?) trailers too). He confirmed that you guys were the first to see the movie - pretty cool! He said that screening was pretty positive, mostly for the hand drawn animation aspect. The trialer looked really good, too.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-09-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Went to a screening of UP! this weekend (the very first one!!)
    Maybe Donald Evans meant first on the east coast.
    The first public advance screening was on April 18 at the Alamo Drafthouse Village in Austin. Pixar benefit screenings were May 2nd for The Piedmont Educational Foundation, May 7th for the Emery Ed Fund and the San Francisco Film Society has a screening on May 11th.
    Screenings are scheduled for late this week and next around the SoCal area. The Radio Disney screening is May 27th and the D23 event set for May 28th.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Maybe Donald Evans meant first on the east coast.
    The first public advance screening was on April 18 at the Alamo Drafthouse Village in Austin. Pixar benefit screenings were May 2nd for The Piedmont Educational Foundation, May 7th for the Emery Ed Fund and the San Francisco Film Society has a screening on May 11th.
    Screenings are scheduled for late this week and next around the SoCal area. The Radio Disney screening is May 27th and the D23 event set for May 28th.
    Maybe that is what he meant, but that isn't what he said He actually said this is the world premiere of the completed film. He was comparing it to the Cannes film festival - how that would be the world premiere but that WE were really the world premiere. I believe he also mentioned free screening too.

Thanks for the future screening information - hopefully people in SoCal will see this thread and be able to get info on them and see them (or maybe you can post the info in an Up thread if you haven't?). Can't wait to see what others around here think
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 05-09-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by Cactushugr View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

What does this Charlotte girl look like? I can't seem to find an image of her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast