• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Dick Van Dyke "Wishing On A Star" for High Schools

Dick Van Dyke, one of the great all-around performers ever, will be taking part in another of his special shows, coming up in Thousand Oaks, CA.

From the Ventura County Star today (5/6):

For film and TV legend Dick Van Dyke, donating his time to support local high school music programs is all about perpetuating an art form that’s crucial to the advancement of society.
    “Without music, we’re dead,” said Van Dyke, one of America’s most beloved actors, who has starred in a number of timeless classics, including “Mary Poppins” and “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.” “Music and art are the glue that holds civilization together.”
    At 84, Van Dyke is starring for the 10th straight year in an annual benefit concert in which all net proceeds will be donated to area public school music programs, which badly need funding because of state and local cuts.
    This year’s show, “Wishing on a Star,” will take place at 4 p.m. Sunday at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza. It will feature Van Dyke singing songs made famous in Disney musicals like “Mary Poppins,” “Pinocchio” and “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” He also will serve as the emcee, introducing and performing with five high school choral groups from Oxnard, Oak Park, Newbury Park, Simi Valley and Woodland Hills.
    In light of budget cuts in public school arts programs, this year’s show is more important than ever, said Van Dyke, a Malibu resident.
    “They called me 10 years ago when all of a sudden they couldn’t afford musical instruments or sheet music anymore. We can’t create a generation of robots,” he said.
    “This show gets better every year,” he said. “We pack ’em in. You wouldn’t believe the talent these kids have.”
    Full story at the link above.

Great performer, great cause.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Dick Van Dyke "Wishing On A Star" for High Schools

Good for him!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Good for him!
    Without question, DW.

And good for the rest of us, too as one of the 20th Century's greatest, and IMHO still most underrated performers continues to give back to his community, well into his 80's.

I'm sure the younger members of this board are likely to have seen Mary Poppins, and perhaps Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Still, I encourage anyone who has never seen the original DVD show to at least rent a, umm, DVD - to see one of the great shows with Dick and the rest of a classic ensemble.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Mr. Van Dyke is a class act. I have great admiration for his doing this. I agree with him totally about music in the schools.