Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: J.J. Abrams' Re-Imagined STAR TREK: Movie Reviews

Loved it! Not a huge fan of the orginal series, but can appreciate it and the fact that it is still popular 40 years later. I think this film did the orginal series justice. The actors were spot-on as their characters. I laughed out-loud many times and was actually driven to tears a few times as well. I can't wait to see where they go with this next.

One of my friends is a huge Star Trek fan and she hated it. She hated it from the very start when they "re-invented" Kirk's birth. And from there it when down hill for her. She understands the "twist" that makes this film possible and "believable," she just doesn't like the fact that they changed everything. Her thoughts were, why did they have to go and change a good thing? There was no way I could argue with her and try to make her understand, so I just said that at least she still has the orginal series. They can't take that away from her.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Loved it! Not a huge fan of the orginal series, but can appreciate it and the fact that it is still popular 40 years later. I think this film did the orginal series justice. The actors were spot-on as their characters. I laughed out-loud many times and was actually driven to tears a few times as well. I can't wait to see where they go with this next.

One of my friends is a huge Star Trek fan and she hated it. She hated it from the very start so I just said that at least she still has the orginal series. They can't take that away from her.
    And I thought that was a clever "out" the writers came up with. Very clever. But they could only get away with it because the rest of the film was immensely entertaining. Obviously, you can't please everyone, and the makers of this flick knew that going in. And I have a friend who posted on FB this morning that he had some issues with it; I'm seeing him later today and looking forward to hearing what he has to say. But I'm a Trekkie/ker and thought it was awesome, and look forward to the brand new canvas they have to work with.

And on a related note, I popped in a classic Trek episode yesterday, "Shore Leave," and after seeing the new movie, it was very weird/cool/odd/melancholy seeing a young Leonard Nimoy/Spock, knowing what I know now from his experience in the new movie.

• Infinitized!

Ok, I've seen it.

Let's just say that all the Star Wars fans that were let down by the prequels, will want to defect to the Star Trek universe, and leave George Lucas in their dust.

The movie was awesome! I'm definitely going to go see it again. The actors were great. They all absorbed the mannerisms of the original actors really well.

Now, whatever, Ebert wrote in his review, ignore it. He wasn't paying attention, especially this part in his review, and it is not a spoiler:
    The logic is also a little puzzling when Scotty can beam people into another ship in outer space, but they have to physically parachute to land on a platform in the air from which the Romulans are drilling a hole to the Earth’s core.
    He wasn't paying attention. There is an explanation in the movie.
    If you want to read Roger Ebert's full review, go here:
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090506/REVIEWS/905069997

Go see it. You'll love it.

(and I picked up a 2nd set of BK glasses after the movie )
    Last edited by Barbossa; 05-09-2009 at 04:14 PM.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Saw it in IMAX last night. It was exceptionally good. My husband is a dyed-in-the-wool lifetime Trek fan and he absolutely loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post

One of my friends is a huge Star Trek fan and she hated it. She hated it from the very start when they "re-invented" Kirk's birth. And from there it when down hill for her. She understands the "twist" that makes this film possible and "believable," she just doesn't like the fact that they changed everything. Her thoughts were, why did they have to go and change a good thing? There was no way I could argue with her and try to make her understand, so I just said that at least she still has the orginal series. They can't take that away from her.
    As a fan of Trek, I loved it!

Your friend likely still won't like it, but here's one possibly positive thought for her to consider what might come from this movie, regarding "Why did they have to change a good thing"? This is a behind-the-scenes writers point of view that was reported about in the trade papers, before this latest film was even on the drawing boards: for the last several years of Trek's previous incarnations, the one major complaint of many writers in town, including those who were working on the existing TV shows and films (and / or on planned TV shows and films), was the Star Trek "Bible" (meaning the "rules" and "facts" of the Trek Universe) had become so large and so complex, that the stories that could actually be written about had become extremely constrictive, without any room for creativity, great story lines or growth for characters. The feeling was every time a great script came along, it would be so watered down after going through the "does it fit the Trek Bible" process, that the creative process was suffering, with less than desirable results. According to the writers, Trek was slowly killing itself off. Now, with the plot devices in this new film (which by the way, are very Trek plot devices!), they have a clean slate to create new, hopefully better than ever, entertaining films and shows. I hope they are right!

• Circle of Ancients

I'm hoping to catch it sometime during the week, but I made sure I got my glasses today.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I grew up on the Next Gen series, and for me the original star trek was HORRIBLE. My father is a trekkie, my mother is a trekkie, my brother and i liked star wars.

This movie is what the prequels SHOULD have been. It was GREAT! A all the way, highly enjoyable, very funny, great job on the actors parts. I esp want to commend Bana on creating a bad guy people could feel bad for. Very "human" and still "dis-likable". btw, I'm not a crier but that opener made me squeak a tear.

Sadly i must admit, I am now a bit of a trekkie...but don't expect me to go learn Klingon.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I'll try to see it. I'm guessing no major characters get killed off.
    But then, I hear that
    Spoiler

Kirk and Uhuru hook up. That was sooooo wrong back in the 1960's, which was/is the future of this movie.
    Kirk's dad and Spock's mother died. Both were integral to the storyline.

Spoiler
    Urhura and Spock become "close personal friends", too. there has to be soe kind of current taboo over inyrtplanetary lip-locks.

When you see thw scene, keep your eyes on his vulcan ears. They become noticeably more pointed during the embrace.

To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    I loved the film. It's the first film I've seen this year that had me leaving the theater excited and ready to see it again.
    As a rule, re-runs bore me. I look extremely forward to watching this film again. It's a work of art in terms of all of the elements of filmography overtly appealing to the senses of sight and sound ..emotions and intellect (if these were senses).

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    No, that spoiler is not exactly correct.

Spoiler
    Kirk tries to hook up with Uhura frequently, but she turns him down every time. She eventually kisses another crew member though.
    Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    Saw it in IMAX last night. It was exceptionally good. My husband is a dyed-in-the-wool lifetime Trek fan and he absolutely loved it.
    Glad you both enjoyed it, SnorkletsMom. It is apparent that your hubby is ready to boldly go where no die-hard Trek fan has gone before!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'm hoping to catch it sometime during the week, but I made sure I got my glasses today.
    You are smart to have followed Barbosa's lead. I had my eyes on your BK glasses, too.

You're in for a real cenimatic treat!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I posted this last night in the other Star Trek thread:
    ----

I just got home from seeing Star Trek.

Amazing.

I'm not really a Star Trek fan, I used to watch reruns of The Next Generation when I was a kid, but never really knew what was going on. This film is a great film. I went with a friend of mine who is a big Trekkie and she had very low expectations and came out very pleased.

I think this film succeeds in pleasing fans while reinventing the franchise in a way that stays true to its roots while becoming fresh and new enough to appeal to new fans.

It's a great film, slick, gorgeous to watch, a great cast, funny, emotional. There were a couple stylistic things (notably the frequent lens/light flares) that I thought were sometimes distracting, but everything else was great. Strong story, great acting.

I'm excited for a sequel.
    There were pleanty of unexpected story/plot twists ..a good number of revelations as to the key characters pasts, as well. One such factoid is that we finally find out where "Bones" (Kirk's affectionate term toward McCoy) came from.

Due to the multifascited delivery of this new Trek film, the franchise is revitalized, re-energized and vividly re-imagined. The way that the actors had the mannerisms of the characters down made me feel as if the original cast were youthful again.

In being such a positive dramatic film, the new Star Trek defiantly flew in the face of an industry that is too often full of cynisism and conventional bias. As you said MasterGracey, the picture is "slick, gorgeous" and (I must add) riveting. Sequel, here we come!

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Ok, I've seen it.

Let's just say that all the Star Wars fans that were let down by the prequels, will want to defect to the Star Trek universe, and leave George Lucas in their dust.
    Never!!! As a Star Wars fan, that would be like me being so disappointed by DCA that I defected over to Universal or Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

I've not watched the film yet and was prepared to not like it at all but I've read many glowing reports on here and some other sites that I post on so that's encouraging. At the same time, hard core fans not liking the film is something to take into account as well. It's not unlike many of us opposing the recent changes to IASW at DLR.

I tried to get a BK glass but they only had Nero so I got the Enterprise and Uhura kid's meal toys instead.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Ok, I've seen it.

Let's just say that all the Star Wars fans that were let down by the prequels, will want to defect to the Star Trek universe, and leave George Lucas in their dust. )
    It's beyond me why Lucas chose to follow the historicly significant first trilogy with a second with plastic new characters, cheesy writing and a paper thin storyline. The thing might as well have been a straightforward cartoon. Nevertheless, I very much look forward to disneyland's StarTours 2.0.

The movie was awesome! I'm definitely going to go see it again. The actors were great. They all absorbed the mannerisms of the original actors really well.)
    As I have said before, I felt as if I was watching the original cast brought back to life and made youthful once again.

Thought it kind of funny that Scotty was the last to "beam" aboard. Once he did, he certainly "gave 'er all she's got!"

Now, whatever, Ebert wrote in his review, ignore it. He wasn't paying attention, especially this part in his review, and it is not a spoiler: )

He wasn't paying attention. There is an explanation in the movie.
    If you want to read Roger Ebert's full review, go here:
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090506/REVIEWS/905069997)
    Ebert is more villianous than Nero. He is too shallow to ever appreciate anything that has depth of meaning, without taking itself overly seriously. The portliness of his gut is only exceded by his fat head.

There must be a black hole within the vast wasteland innerverse of mean Gene's brain. Science has done a good deal of hypothesizing about black holes. Has it imperically seen, heard, felt, smelled, tasted or touched one? Of course not. It's seen what it beleives to be evidense of blck holes from lightyears away.

So, where does Ebert get off writing off the new film as loud and colorful ..and lacking in engaging scientific intrigue, as with the original tv show. for all we know, phenomena such as time travel and warp drive will actually come into being one day. For all we know, black holes may eventually prove to exist as time warps. Subatomic particals (anti-matter) were dicovered several years back. The alternate reality (or universe) referred to in the film might prove true one day.

Never have liked Geekbert as a flim cry-tick.

Go see it. You'll love it. )
    Yeah, everybody. This is a "must see" movie experience.

(and I picked up a 2nd set of BK glasses after the movie )
    That was my set!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-10-2009 at 12:24 AM.

• Minion

Just saw it, and no I'm not doing my own review, since this one is already in existance.

Got to see the trailers for Land of the Lost, (will see it) Transformers 2 (though it will be the Empire Strikes Back of the series where the bad guys win, I'll still go see it) and GI Joe (like seeing the first Transformers, just less bulky robots.)

As for the movie.....

Awesome movie, loved seeing Nemoy in the film. I clapped when he first made his entrance in it. It is good to know that the cast has already signed up to star in at least 2 sequels. Oh, and one more thing.......

QUINTO WAS AWESOME AS SPOCK!!!!!! Still couldn't help thinking of him as Sylar though, and even seeing a bit of Sylar in him.

And for those of you that read this, please take notice.....

There is no special scenes after the credits, so don't stay for them.

Unless you want to see at the very end where they dedicated to the loving memory of Gene Roddenberry and his late wife Majel Barrett (who you do hear in the film as the ship's computer.)

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Never!!! As a Star Wars fan, that would be like me being so disappointed by DCA that I defected over to Universal or Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

I've not watched the film yet and was prepared to not like it at all but I've read many glowing reports on here and some other sites that I post on so that's encouraging. At the same time, hard core fans not liking the film is something to take into account as well. It's not unlike many of us opposing the recent changes to IASW at DLR.

I tried to get a BK glass but they only had Nero so I got the Enterprise and Uhura kid's meal toys instead.
    Thought Nero wa dead. Yet, he still lives at Burger King. This could spell trouble for Earth.

• Seasick

Fantastic movie.

I'd almost forgotten how much I love Star Trek, and how exhilarating a good Trek movie can be.

There are plenty of movies that look like goofy fun (Transformers, G.I. Joe) but this has got to be the summer movie to beat.

It's dramatic, it's action-packed, it's funny. The characters are great. Karl Urban as McCoy gets the nod as most reminiscent of the original. Seeing Nimoy as Spock again is a joy.

The degree to which they change and "reset" the Star Trek universe is a bit shocking, but necesscary and clever. No reason Shatner can't appear in the sequel, as his future is now unwritten.

Not sure why they decided to make the engine room look like a boiler room.

Just loved this movie. Engrossing from start to finish. The opening is on a scale never before seen in a Trek film, and it never loses that sense of scope.

So glad to see this franchise return in such a grand fashion.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast