Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: J.J. Abrams' Re-Imagined STAR TREK: Movie Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Just saw it, and no I'm not doing my own review, since this one is already in existance.

Awesome movie, loved seeing Nemoy in the film. I clapped when he first made his entrance in it. It is good to know that the cast has already signed up to star in at least 2 sequels. Oh, and one more thing.......

QUINTO WAS AWESOME AS SPOCK!!!!!! Still couldn't help thinking of him as Sylar though, and even seeing a bit of Sylar in him.

And for those of you that read this, please take notice.....

There is no special scenes after the credits, so don't stay for them.

Unless you want to see at the very end where they dedicated to the loving memory of Gene Roddenberry and his late wife Majel Barrett (who you do hear in the film as the ship's computer.)
    From a music standpoint, remaing during the closing crdits is very worthwhile. The heart-tugging original theme song was interspersed along with the driving new score. Talk about cool! am looking forward to those two new sequels. Know it may sound way too hopeful...but I'd be delighted if this cast ends up in a new Trek tv series as well.

Quinto's Spock is awsome, plus some!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-10-2009 at 12:43 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Fantastic movie.

It's dramatic, it's action-packed, it's funny. The characters are great. Karl Urban as McCoy gets the nod as most reminiscent of the original. Seeing Nimoy as Spock again is a joy.

So glad to see this franchise return in such a grand fashion.
    Fashion the keyword, keeping in tune with the "early wardrobe."

The movie score was also good. Yes, I did notice the old theme at the beginning of the credits. I also noticed the familiar whine of the transporters, the chirps of the communicators, but loved the sweet new sound of the ship coming in and out of warp.

And yes, Urban was really good as McCoy as well. That very first scene with him as Bones.....all I could say is that he made blue eyed Deforrest Kelly very proud!!! Whom we lost way back in like 1992 shortly after Undiscovered Country came out. I'm very sure that Karl was watching past footage of Deforrest and studied him very well. I give a big Kudos to him for nailing that role all the way down.

And was I the only one looking for some version of "Boothbee" outside of Starfleet during the shots of San Francisco?
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 05-10-2009 at 12:57 AM.

• Minion

I hate it when this site freezes.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Just saw it at Downtown Disney (not that it matters where, but since this is a disney site... OKAY WHATEVER).

THIS MOVIE WAS FANTASTIC. Now, I haven't seen all the original trek films but I've seen all the Next Generation ones. The only one I loved was First Contact, which... is.. now an alternate universe. And I suppose that would be the one thing a hardcore trekker would really despise. There's ways of making it work I suppose but I don't want to think about it.

This really isn't a prequel! I went in thinking it was... but no, it's more like a sequel and this takes place in the past through time travel. So all the originals are STILL okay since this movie still accepts all of those in its history... especially since Nimoy Spock in this film, is the same Nimoy Spock from that older tv series and film universe.

Anyway, this film was intense and really really good.

Here's a few things I noticed, and someone who has seen it multiple times can tell me if I'm mistaken:

-ships tend to turn right an awful lot. is that what looks good cinematically?

-john cho was fine, but he doesn't talk enough like Takei.

-moments of Pine's delivery kinda sounded William Shatnerish. Kinda made me chuckle

-Zoe is hot.

-Knowing what Winona Ryder looked like before she got all wrinkly, Spock's dad DEFINITELY married for love. or lust. whatever.

-score by Giacchino. Want to love it but it's so repetitive. It's good though. Solid 3 stars but the lack of other themes is somewhat disappointing.

-Captain Mola Ram. That's all i could think of during the first 5 minutes.

that's all for now.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Fashion the keyword, keeping in tune with the "early wardrobe."

The movie score was also good. Yes, I did notice the old theme at the beginning of the credits. I also noticed the familiar whine of the transporters, the chirps of the communicators, but loved the sweet new sound of the ship coming in and out of warp.

And yes, Urban was really good as McCoy as well. That very first scene with him as Bones.....all I could say is that he made blue eyed Deforrest Kelly very proud!!! Whom we lost way back in like 1992 shortly after Undiscovered Country came out. I'm very sure that Karl was watching past footage of Deforrest and studied him very well. I give a big Kudos to him for nailing that role all the way down.

And was I the only one looking for some version of "Boothbee" outside of Starfleet during the shots of San Francisco?
    Must confess ..I don't know what "Boothbee" is.

Extremely thought evoking review, AidensDaddy. The spirits of Deforrest Kelly and James Doohan must both be delighted and proud with repect to the new actors that have re-assumed their roles.

The spirit of George Takei is probably jeolous of the new Sulu, and more sour than ever ..which is ashamed, as he very much alive. Serves him right that the new Sulu is the only key character in the new film that doen't much reflect the personality of the original actor. Kudo's to John Cho!

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by RodeToad View Post
    As a fan of Trek, I loved it!

Your friend likely still won't like it, but here's one possibly positive thought for her to consider what might come from this movie, regarding "Why did they have to change a good thing"? This is a behind-the-scenes writers point of view that was reported about in the trade papers, before this latest film was even on the drawing boards: for the last several years of Trek's previous incarnations, the one major complaint of many writers in town, including those who were working on the existing TV shows and films (and / or on planned TV shows and films), was the Star Trek "Bible" (meaning the "rules" and "facts" of the Trek Universe) had become so large and so complex, that the stories that could actually be written about had become extremely constrictive, without any room for creativity, great story lines or growth for characters. The feeling was every time a great script came along, it would be so watered down after going through the "does it fit the Trek Bible" process, that the creative process was suffering, with less than desirable results. According to the writers, Trek was slowly killing itself off. Now, with the plot devices in this new film (which by the way, are very Trek plot devices!), they have a clean slate to create new, hopefully better than ever, entertaining films and shows. I hope they are right!
    Exactly, look at what would have happened to the movie it they didn't use an alternate timeline and were restricted to canon:

Spoiler

1. No one can see Nero and live. Since the Federation does not know what Romulans look like until mid way through the Original Series, despite having been at war with them.

2. No new ship. Captain April got first dibs on the ship, not Pike.

3. Different end for Pike. In the show, Pike was debiliated in a much different, and less spectacular, fashion and reduced to a scared freak driving around in a mini-zamboni who could only communicate with a blinking light.

4. The crew could not meet. ThaaAAaat's right. The original crew wasn't all together until several episodes into the Original Series. In the time frame of the movie, they should be a mixtures of cadets and officers who will all serve on seperate ships for many years until finally meeting aboard the Enterprise. Wouldn't be such a cool movie with Lt. James Kirk aboard the USS Republic with no one anyone's ever heard of.

5. Vulcan being destroyed would not be allowed to stand. There would be the stanrdard 'rest button' pushed, which would completely take away the tragedy of the situation. It was even a time travel movie, I was shocked that nothing was reversed.

6. Different character interactions. Kirk and Spock not liking each other at fist. Uhura having the hots for Spock. Scotty transporting away Archer's beagle and being dumped in stupid assignment for it. Chekov as a wunderkid. All interesting character beats that are not backed up with what was previously established. Indeed, watch the OTHER movies, Chekov is a bumbling moron.

7. The Enterprise was constructed in space. This even makes more sense. But it would spoil the reveal of Kirk seeing being construction while on his motorcycle and being tempted. It also gorunds the ship in some more humble beginnings.

8. Nero's ship is completely unlike any Romulan ship..ever. But, it looks damn cool.

If all of those points were followed, and had the movie obey canon (which would also require everything to be reset to the way they were at the end) you have an inferior movie. At best something mediocre like STIII, and at worst, a disaster like 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier'.

• Iron-Clad Allie

[quote=Coheteboy;1055329449]Just saw it at Downtown Disney (not that it matters where, but since this is a disney site... OKAY WHATEVER).

Symbolically, seeing Star Trek at Downtown Disney would send my planet into orbit. I've always wanted to watch a film there, and never have seemed to have the time. Lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    THIS MOVIE WAS FANTASTIC. Now, I haven't seen all the original trek films but I've seen all the Next Generation ones. The only one I loved was First Contact, which... is.. now an alternate universe. And I suppose that would be the one thing a hardcore trekker would really despise. There's ways of making it work I suppose but I don't want to think about it.
    Let's have a moment of silense for the Trekies. OK. Now, just think Uhura ..and that will make it all better.

This really isn't a prequel! I went in thinking it was... but no, it's more like a sequel and this takes place in the past through time travel. So all the originals are STILL okay since this movie still accepts all of those in its history... especially since Nimoy Spock in this film, is the same Nimoy Spock from that older tv series and film universe.
    Great observation. What's more, you're likely the first moviegoer to make this appraisal. I went in thinking of the film as a prequel, too. It's much better as a sequel. Much more unexpected ..and a richer storyline.

Anyway, this film was intense and really really good..
    Fully intense and engaging from start to finish.

Here's a few things I noticed, and someone who has seen it multiple times can tell me if I'm mistaken:

-ships tend to turn right an awful lot. is that what looks good cinematically?.
    Right. I noticed that right away, and it left me wondering, too.

-john cho was fine, but he doesn't talk enough like Takei. .
    As I don't like George Takei, Cho turned Mr. Sulu a real person ..dropping the cartoonish Takei characature persona. My opinion is that the former Mr. Solo can't act. Perhaps Abrams and Cho share my disdain.

-moments of Pine's delivery kinda sounded William Shatnerish. Kinda made me chuckle.
    That was really cool. We have his Shatner rendition to look forward to in the sequels as well.

-Zoe is hot..
    OMG! I'm going to be in love and lust with her for many moons to come.

-Knowing what Winona Ryder looked like before she got all wrinkly, Spock's dad DEFINITELY married for love. or lust. whatever. .
    Even as an old hag, Ryder looks better than Winona Judd. Spock's dad looks better than Judd.

-score by Giacchino. Want to love it but it's so repetitive. It's good though. Solid 3 stars but the lack of other themes is somewhat disappointing. .
    Not many counter melodies in the new score. Only know that It definiely rocks! Think your acurate on the 3 point rating of the thematic score.

-Captain Mola Ram. That's all i could think of during the first 5 minutes..
    I was thinking about what it would be like to have Uhura read my mind, and then make my naughty wishes come true.

-that's all for now.
    That was a thoroughly engaging review, Coheteboy. Look forward to your sequel.

• Mickey is not my Brother

George Takei does a pretty damn good job in HEROES

• Disneyland PAP

For comic book readers out there, there's a prequel to the new movie written by the film's writers, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Countdown-J-Abrams/dp/1600104207"]Star Trek: Countdown[/ame]. I read it Friday night after my second time seeing the film. It's the back story to Nero and Spock, their relationship before the events of the new film, with appearances by TNG characters. I was surprised by what these TNG characters are doing now (the events take place after Star Trek: Nemesis) and seemed somewhat contrived to me. Not everyone will like what they'll find them doing now. And the story ends exactly where the new film begins. It's got 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. I'd give the story a B, and the artwork is fine too.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    George Takei does a pretty damn good job in HEROES
    I'm just ticked at Takei on account of his melevalent attitude toward Star Trek and Captain Bill. Other than leading (and pre-ST established) stars Nemoy, Shatner and Kelly were the only members of the original cast not to suffer from space typecasting. From this perspective and level, George's demeaner has been somewhat understandable.

I'll have to catch Heroes on video. Should have realized my criticism of him would catch the attention of his fans. Didn't mean to step on your toes, Oswald. I do hope the man realizes success in his future film projects.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    For comic book readers out there, there's a prequel to the new movie written by the film's writers, Star Trek: Countdown. I read it Friday night after my second time seeing the film. It's the back story to Nero and Spock, their relationship before the events of the new film, with appearances by TNG characters. I was surprised by what these TNG characters are doing now (the events take place after Star Trek: Nemesis) and seemed somewhat contrived to me. Not everyone will like what they'll find them doing now. And the story ends exactly where the new film begins. It's got 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. I'd give the story a B, and the artwork is fine too.
    Great find! Thanks for the link to the comicbook prequel to the film. the linked site even allows one to take a look at some of the comic's pages. Whether somewhat contrived and controvercial or not, we are lucky to have a back-story in any format.

Post thought - Glad TNG characters were a part of the comic prequel. They actors that portreyed/portrey them are just as profesional and wonderful a team as the original cast. TNG as a tv show/movies was by far the best of the Star Trek spinoffs ..or dare I say Spiner-offs.

• Disneyland PAP

Star Trek Sets Its Phasers on $76.5 Million

…Star Trek went into the weekend with overwhelmingly positive reviews and brisk advance ticket sales. After grossing $4 million in Thursday previews (screenings after midnight counted towards Friday), Star Trek pulled in an additional $72.5 million (estimated) over the weekend, averaging roughly $18.8k in 3,849 venues, including over a hundred IMAX screens. Going by estimates, the $76.5 million grossed by Abrams' relaunch in 3 1/2 days is more than five of the previous "Star Trek" movies made in their entire theatrical runs.
    Star Trek Sets Its Phasers on $76.5 Million - ComingSoon.net

Here's what I've been telling my friends about the numbers.

The take is less than last week's Wolverine take of $85 million. But Hugh Jackman is a huge draw to both genre geeks and, more importantly, women. It's also the fourth film in a franchise.

Star Trek is very accessible and entertaining, just like Iron Man is. But Iron Man benefitted from Robert Downey, Jr. leading a strong, recognizable cast of names. So while Star Trek and Iron Man are both entertaining family films, Star Trek lacks the big names in its cast, Nimoy notwithstanding. In fact, he's almost a negative because, let's face it, the brand called Star Trek scares lots of "normal" audiences away.

If anything, Star Trek may follow the trail blasted by Batman Begins, a film that was well-received, built up an audience through DVD, Blu-ray and movie rentals, and set up The Dark Knight for its ultimate opening box office take of $158 million. Well, I'm hoping the Star Trek sequel should do so good. (…which is the same reasoning Paramount has for Iron Man 2, now filming.)

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by RodeToad View Post
    Your friend likely still won't like it, but here's one possibly positive thought for her to consider what might come from this movie, regarding "Why did they have to change a good thing"? This is a behind-the-scenes writers point of view that was reported about in the trade papers, before this latest film was even on the drawing boards: for the last several years of Trek's previous incarnations, the one major complaint of many writers in town, including those who were working on the existing TV shows and films (and / or on planned TV shows and films), was the Star Trek "Bible" (meaning the "rules" and "facts" of the Trek Universe) had become so large and so complex, that the stories that could actually be written about had become extremely constrictive, without any room for creativity, great story lines or growth for characters. The feeling was every time a great script came along, it would be so watered down after going through the "does it fit the Trek Bible" process, that the creative process was suffering, with less than desirable results. According to the writers, Trek was slowly killing itself off. Now, with the plot devices in this new film (which by the way, are very Trek plot devices!), they have a clean slate to create new, hopefully better than ever, entertaining films and shows. I hope they are right!
    Very interesting and so true. I must pass on this form of logic to her. Thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

On a side note, my husband flies for JetBlue and yesterday he had Zoe Saldana (Uhura) on his flight. He talked to her at the end of the flight and told me she was very personable and very beautiful. He also said she was shy and not sure what to make of this new celebrity status she has. She asked my husband if he had seen the movie yet and he told her he was seeing it that night and expects there to be many more sequels with this current crew. She was surprised at that. Can you believe that? Surprised? Boy is her life ever changed.

He wanted to take her picture but didn't want to draw any attention to her, so he didn't. My husband, ever the one for chilvalry.

• Minion

-Captain Mola Ram. That's all i could think of during the first 5 minutes.

OMG!!! THAT'S WHERE I SAW HIM!!!!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast