Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: J.J. Abrams' Re-Imagined STAR TREK: Movie Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Spoiler

6. Different character interactions. Kirk and Spock not liking each other at fist. Uhura having the hots for Spock. Scotty transporting away Archer's beagle and being dumped in stupid assignment for it. Chekov as a wunderkid. All interesting character beats that are not backed up with what was previously established. Indeed, watch the OTHER movies, Chekov is a bumbling moron.

So, they did make a reference to Bakula's Archer character from the Trek Universe. I heard the part about the Beagle, but I never heard the name.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Must confess ..I don't know what "Boothbee" is.

Extremely thought evoking review, AidensDaddy. The spirits of Deforrest Kelly and James Doohan must both be delighted and proud with repect to the new actors that have re-assumed their roles.

The spirit of George Takei is probably jeolous of the new Sulu, and more sour than ever ..which is ashamed, as he very much alive. Serves him right that the new Sulu is the only key character in the new film that doen't much reflect the personality of the original actor. Kudo's to John Cho!
    He probably wasn't featured in the original series, or the TNG series, but he was in the Voyager series.

He was played by the late actor (sorry I forget his name, though someone on on here will post it) who also played everyone's favorite martian.

Boothbee was the Starfleet grounds caretaker.

• Minion

duplicate post. oops.
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 05-10-2009 at 01:31 PM.

• Minion

As I don't like George Takei, Cho turned Mr. Sulu a real person ..dropping the cartoonish Takei characature persona. My opinion is that the former Mr. Solo can't act. Perhaps Abrams and Cho share my disdain.

During the sword fencing scene on top of the drill, the only Takei line I could come up with was the "Don't call me Tiny!" line from Star Trek 3 Search for Spock, where Sulu helps in the jailbreak.

I'll have to catch Heroes on video. Should have realized my criticism of him would catch the attention of his fans. Didn't mean to step on your toes, Oswald. I do hope the man realizes success in his future film projects.

He is featured through most of Heroe's Season/Volume 1, and he's killed off at the beginning of 2.

In Season 1, take special note to the license plate on his limo. It reads NCC 1701. REAL NICE!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I did like th eoriginal tv series, in the reruns I saw after school, but I'm not a trekker or treck and have never owned a star trek action figure, but I did enjoy this movie.

This is a great summer flick, (even though it's still spring) and they did a great job bringing the old characters/new actors into what today's movie audiences expect in special effect, plus a great story.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    He probably wasn't featured in the original series, or the TNG series, but he was in the Voyager series.

He was played by the late actor (sorry I forget his name, though someone on on here will post it) who also played everyone's favorite martian.

Boothbee was the Starfleet grounds caretaker.
    Oh. You mean Christopher Loyd. Just kidding.

Ray Walston played uncle Martin on in all 107 episodes of My Favorite Martian from 1963 - 1966. He did sort of cameo in a modern CG enhanced MFM movie that had Loyd assuming the role of Uncle Martin. I was elated to see Walsh each time that he appeared in his reoccurring Star Trek Voyager guest star role. I miss his MFM co-star, the late Bill Bixby, too.

During the sword fencing scene on top of the drill, the only Takei line I could come up with was the "Don't call me Tiny!" line from Star Trek 3 Search for Spock, where Sulu helps in the jailbreak.

He is featured through most of Heroe's Season/Volume 1, and he's killed off at the beginning of 2.

In Season 1, take special note to the license plate on his limo. It reads NCC 1701. REAL NICE!!!
    Glad you remembered that line. "Don't call me tiny," was hilarious at the time ..especially since Takei gave the menacing giant that got in his face a sound thrashing. NCC 1701 is a right nice nod!

So, they did make a reference to Bakula's Archer character from the Trek Universe. I heard the part about the Beagle, but I never heard the name.
    Poor Beagle. Hope he at least has a bone to chew on while his atoms are scattered about in space.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Star Trek Sets Its Phasers on $76.5 Million - ComingSoon.net

Here's what I've been telling my friends about the numbers.

The take is less than last week's Wolverine take of $85 million. But Hugh Jackman is a huge draw to both genre geeks and, more importantly, women. It's also the fourth film in a franchise.

Star Trek is very accessible and entertaining, just like Iron Man is. But Iron Man benefitted from Robert Downey, Jr. leading a strong, recognizable cast of names. So while Star Trek and Iron Man are both entertaining family films, Star Trek lacks the big names in its cast, Nimoy notwithstanding. In fact, he's almost a negative because, let's face it, the brand called Star Trek scares lots of "normal" audiences away.

If anything, Star Trek may follow the trail blasted by Batman Begins, a film that was well-received, built up an audience through DVD, Blu-ray and movie rentals, and set up The Dark Knight for its ultimate opening box office take of $158 million. Well, I'm hoping the Star Trek sequel should do so good. (…which is the same reasoning Paramount has for Iron Man 2, now filming.)
    Excellent synopsis. From a boxoffice standpoint, Star Trek is doing fine in consideration that it boasts a cast of relative unknowns to cinema (as you pointed out (G2D) or tv. Odds are, the sequels will each earn much more ..and that's not to mention merchandising. I'm thinking a ST tv show stsrring this new cast might happen in the future. After all, these actors are hungry ..and Paramount may see the idea as a profit making venture. This would be the exact opposite path that the original cast too.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I did like th eoriginal tv series, in the reruns I saw after school, but I'm not a trekker or treck and have never owned a star trek action figure, but I did enjoy this movie.

This is a great summer flick, (even though it's still spring) and they did a great job bringing the old characters/new actors into what today's movie audiences expect in special effect, plus a great story.
    The well rounded story combined with uniquely orchestrated special effects, gorgeous filming, high caliber acting, and awesome music score made the film an absolute delight to watch.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

But this new Star Trek benefits from having a lot of good looking men for the ladies (and boys of micechat) too. This is the first time I've heard from a ton of girls (attractive ones too) seeing a Star Trek movie and LOVING it. That's an audience I've never heard of before for a star trek movie!

I think this will do quite well.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    -Captain Mola Ram. That's all i could think of during the first 5 minutes.
    Haha, the first actor that shows up on screen is Iron Man's terrorist.

And then we have Anton Yelchin who's playing the new Chekov, he's back on the big screen in two weeks playing Kyle Reese in Terminator. Two big summer blockbusters and getting to play two known characters, that's a big score for a young actor.

I liked how engineering looked like the inside of a brewery. Scotty's doing double duty as a brewmeister.

I'm definitely going to go see it again later this week.

• Infinitized!

That was my set!
    This is just to tease you Ride Warrior.

I want to get my hands on the Playmates Enterprise, but TRU doesn't have it yet, all they got is the Transporter playset.

• Minion

Poor Beagle. Hope he at least has a bone to chew on while his atoms are scattered about in space.

Nah, I think he assumed the role of Zero, the ghost dog reindeer.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I want to get my hands on the Playmates Enterprise, but TRU doesn't have it yet, all they got is the Transporter playset.
    Try Target. My local Targets all have the starship toy, Bridge and Transporter playsets, action figs and the role play toys. I picked up my phaser, communicator and tricorder from one two weeks ago. You might even save a couple of dollars over TRU too. I'm on the lookout for the diecast Hot Wheels vehicle of the new Enterprise. They have the other starship models in the set, but I haven't found one with the new Enterprise.

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Try Target. My local Targets all have the starship toy, Bridge and Transporter playsets, action figs and the role play toys. I picked up my phaser, communicator and tricorder from one two weeks ago. You might even save a couple of dollars over TRU too. I'm on the lookout for the diecast Hot Wheels vehicle of the new Enterprise. They have the other starship models in the set, but I haven't found one with the new Enterprise.
    Unfortunately, we don't have Target in Canada. And they were thinking of setting up shop here. I still hope they do. Walmart could use the competiton.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Star Trek's Big Box-Office Bang - E! Online

J.J. Abrams' retooled, timeline-tweaking Star Trek scored an estimated $72.5 million Friday-Sunday opening weekend, Exhibitor Relations reported today...($76.5 million counting last Thursday)...

As compared to the opening weekends of other "born again" sci-fi blockbusters, the reimagined Star Trek warp sped past Superman Returns ($52.5 million in 2006) and Batman Begins ($48.7 million in 2005). It is important to note that it came in behind the previous weekend's boxoffice performance of X-Men Origins: Wolverine ($85.1 million). Compared to the opening weekends of other Trek films, it blew past 9 out of 10 (why did I just have the sweetest vision of Seven 0f Nine? LOL!).

This weekend, however, Kirk and Spock declawed Wolverine. Here are the boxoffice rankings of the top grossing flicks, Fri-Sat -

1. Star Trek, $72.5 million
    2. X-Men Origens: Wolverine, $27 million
    3. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, $10.5 million
    4. Obsessed, $6.6 million
    5. 17 Again, $4.4 million
    6. Next Day Air, $4 million
    7. The Soloist, $3.6 million
    8. Monsters vs. Aliens, $3.4 million
    9. Earth, $2.5 million
    10. Hannah Montana: The Movie, $2.4 million
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-10-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast