• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney & Walden Media team on "Terabithia"

Source: Variety September 27, 2005

Walt Disney Pictures is reteaming with Walden Media to produce Bridge to Terabithia, based on Katherine Paterson's Newberry Medal-winning children's novel, says Variety. Disney comes aboard as co-financier and U.S. distributor. Walden keeps international rights.

Published in 1977 by HarperCollins, the Newbery Award-winning "Bridge" follows the story of an 11-year-old boy whose life is changed forever when he befriends the class outsider, a girl. Together they create the world of Terabithia, an imaginary kingdom filled with giants, trolls and other magical beings.

Disney and Walden are moving quickly on the film, with production scheduled for February in New Zealand. They are aiming for a spring 2007 release.

Gabor Csupo, co-founder of animation company Klasky/Csupo and director of Rugrats Go Wild!, will make his live-action helming debut on the movie. Jeff Stockwell is writing the screenplay.

Disney and Walden are currently teaming on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and did so previously on Holes and Ghosts of the Abyss.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Man O Lantern

Re: Disney & Walden Media team on "Terabithia"

Wow. Bridge to Terabithia is hands-down my favorite kids' book. I still have the copy my fourth grade teacher gave to me.

Wow. Just, wow. There was a crappy video made many years ago that I've seen, but if this is done right, it'll be amazing. I'm all right now. Thanks.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Fingers crossed on this one, what a great book. I'd hate to have it ruined, but it sure sounds promising!
    A signature should go here.

• Miss Bee Taylor

This is one of my favorite books. Ever.

My oldest daughter bought it for me. She had read it at school, and she knew, it was something I needed to read.
    My best friend had just passed away, and my daughter felt it would help me through some of the pain.
    She was an amazing 4th grader (and she is an amazing adult now).

I hope they do the book justice, and really stick to the storyline. It doesn't need to be 'hollywoodized'
    WDW-July 2010
    **Tokyo~Tokyo Disney Resort**May 25-June 3, 2009**

Disneyland--all the time (we're Californians)
    Disneyland Paris-2002
    WDW-1999, 2000
    DisneyCruise-2000

• Happy Memories

It's not a book I am familiar with, but so far Walden has a decent track record with their literary adaptations. I've enjoyed most of what I've seen from the company so far (Holes, Because of Winn Dixie), and if Narnia performs well that should give them even more money and clout to continue making great book to film adaptaions.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Kyler read this, actually we read it together since I never read it, last year.
    This is defintely something I'd like to see, perfect thing for he and I to do together!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

AnnaSophia Robb Cast in Terabithia
    Source: Variety
    November 10, 2005

AnnaSophia Robb (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) has landed the female lead in Bridge to Terabithia, Walt Disney Pictures' and Walden Media's adaptation of Katherine Paterson's Newberry Medal-winning children's novel, reports Variety.

Published in 1977 by HarperCollins, "Bridge" follows the story of an 11-year-old boy whose life is changed forever when he befriends the class outsider, a girl (Robb). Together they create the world of Terabithia, an imaginary kingdom filled with giants, trolls and other magical beings.

Gabor Csupo will make his live-action helming debut on the movie, which starts filming in February in New Zealand for a spring 2007 release. Jeff Stockwell is writing the screenplay.

Robb also has joined helmer Mark Blutman's independent feature Doubting Thomas and is filming The Reaping with Hilary Swank.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

That's awesome! I still have yet to see Charlie (I want to, just haven't gotten the planets to line up right yet), but I thought she was great in Winn Dixie.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Hutcherson Takes Bridge to Terabithia
    Source: Variety
    January 19, 2006

Variety reports that Walden Media and Walt Disney Pictures are closer to the beginning of production on their next collaboration, Bridge to Terabithia.

Companies' recent project, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, has been mauling King Kong at the domestic and foreign box office.

Filmmakers have cast actor Josh Hutcherson (Zathura) in the lead role in "Bridge," which starts filming later this month in New Zealand.

The film, to be directed by Gabor Csupo, is based on Katherine Paterson's novel about a boy whose life is changed when he befriends an outsider. The two create a world called Terabithia, an imaginary kingdom filled with giants, trolls and other magical beings.

Hutcherson also stars in the upcoming Robin Williams comedy RV and in Fox's Firehouse Dog.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Wasn't this the book where the boy is stung to death by bees at the end? I'm not sure if it was this book we read in elementary school. It's been too long.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X
    Wasn't this the book where the boy is stung to death by bees at the end? I'm not sure if it was this book we read in elementary school. It's been too long.
    I think you're referencing Macauley Culkin's untimely beehive-related death from the film "My Girl". "The Bridge to Terabithia" does have a similar childhood tragedy which was apparently based on an actual incident from the author's life.

• Happy Memories

Super cute Zoey Deschanel (sp?) has been cast as the children's teacher. Yet another reason for me to watch! {Zoey crush }

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Great news, thanks!

Jan. 26, 2006

Deschanel on fantasy trip

Zooey Deschanel has come aboard "Bridge to Terabithia" for Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media. Gabor Csupo is making his live-action directorial debut on the action adventure/fantasy, based on Katherine Paterson's 1978 Newbery Award-winning book. Josh Hutcherson and AnnaSophia Robb have already been cast as two classmates who, because of their outsider status, create the world of Terabithia, an imaginary kingdom filled with giants and trolls and all manner of magical beings. Deschanel is the kids' teacher, whom they admire. Jeff Stockwell ("The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys") wrote the adaptation, which is being produced by Lauren Levine, David Paterson and Hal Lieberman. (Borys Kit)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1001918834

How good were these two in The Good Girl?