Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disney Releases First Still Image From 'A Christmas Carol'

The promotional train will be in Oakland this weekend.
    The Mur

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Yesterday afternoon I attended the sneak preview event at the AMC IMAX theatre at Universal CityWalk of scenes from 'A Christmas Carol'. There was a fun Christmas in June spread of holiday treats including hot apple cider, hot chocolate, green and red sugar cookies, warm caramel corn, brownies, and fresh sliced apples for dipping in warm caramel. Plus Christmas carols playing and a tiny holiday tree. Perfect pre-IMAX fare!

We were shown full scenes the first featuring Jim Carrey as Scrooge, Colin Firth as his nephew and Gary Oldman as Bob Cratchit in Scrooge's office. Another was the momentous meeting between Scrooge and the first ghost of the evening, his former business partner, Jacob Marley. The presentation concluded with a montage of scenes from various points in the film and finally the premiere of the film's teaser trailer, it'll be attached to the new 'Ice Age' 3D sequel that hits theatres on July 1st.

First things first, yes the motion capture is better and more real-seeming than in Robert Zemeckis' previous works including 'Beowulf: An IMAX 3D Experience' and 'The Polar Express'. Even more humanity is visible through and in the performances, even while the actual physical bodies of the actors are altered for size and aging. The ghost images are very impressive (particularly Marley, as Bob Z. couldn't help but throw a little of his old 'Tales From The Crypt' horror/humor into him) as are the stunts which the medium now thrusts into the eye-popping wonder range. The story does lend itself to the 3D technology quite impressively well.
    Thanks for sharing your review! From the clips and images I've seen so far, it does seem like Zemeckis has definitely learned and improved upon his use of mo-cap, and I DO think the type of animation technology will lend itself pretty well to the movie and the characters, ESPECIALLY since Jim Carrey is such a physical actor. Mo-cap definitely requires the actors to put their whole bodies into the performance and I see him doing that in this for sure. That being said, looking forward to checking out the teaser trailer!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Well thanks I'm looking forward to seeing the full finished product.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

an international teaser one-sheet

• Banned User

Wowzers - that looks kinda creepy but kinda cool!!! I can't WAIT to hear about the footage that's gonna be shown at Comic-Con and what Robert Zemeckis says....kinda makes me sad I won't be able to make it But definitely looking forward to some new footage and maybe even a trailer!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Zemeckis on the 3-D preview at Comic-Con:

"What we hope to accomplish is that anyone at Comic-Con realizes that it's not a movie for the traditional Disney audience. It's a classic ghost story," the director says of his Nov. 6 adaptation of the Charles Dickens fable. "I hope that this is a way to present to the audience at large that this is a movie for real movie fans, and real ghost story fans and fans of graphic novels."
    The "Christmas Carol" footage combines the director's "Polar Express" motion-capture filmmaking technique (in which the recorded performances of live actors are converted into life-like animated characters) with some of the scary style he showed in his 2000 genre film, "What Lies Beneath."

When Marley (Gary Oldman) visits Ebenezer Scrooge (Jim Carrey) in an extended scene to be shown at Comic-Con, it's such a frightening encounter that most 9-year-olds will dive for cover.
    My 9-year old niece did dive a little further down in her seat during that sequence, it is pretty well-plotted for maximum tension and dread.

more at:
    3-D filmmakers are counting on Comic-Con - Los Angeles Times

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

6/23
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    The ghost images are very impressive (particularly Marley, as Bob Z. couldn't help but throw a little of his old 'Tales From The Crypt' horror/humor into him) as are the stunts which the medium now thrusts into the eye-popping wonder range. The story does lend itself to the 3D technology quite impressively well.
    7/23 Robert Zemeckis shows off 'A Christmas Carol'

Dickens by way of "Tales From the Crypt"?

That is what Robert Zemeckis and Disney's "A Christmas Carol" seems to evoke by the footage screened today at Comic-Con. “Christmas Carol” was the first movie to hit the cavernous Hall H and also kicked off what is basically 3D day at the Con, its first ever.

Zemeckis showed a scene with Scrooge being visited by the ghost of his business partner in a scene that was at once literary and scary fun.

The motion capture was steps above Zemeckis' own "Beowulf" and was incredibly immersive.
    San Diego Comic-Con - The Hollywood Reporter: Robert Zemeckis shows off 'A Christmas Carol'

• Banned User

Thanks for posting all the Comic-Con news. From what I've read, seems like the motion-capture has grown leaps & bounds and should be pretty creepily awesome. I know the trailer's been showing in front of a lot of 3D movies the last couple weeks, so I think I'm just gonna have to try my luck at one of those 3D showings!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

From the stuff shown on the train and in the theater set up next to it, they have gotten better at MoCap, but it's still sort of creepy. It works great for the ghosts and such, but it still makes the human characters look eerily wrong.

Aside from the fact that the train tour was so underwhelming, I just don't think too many people are interested in yet another version of this story. And there isn't a film made that Jim Carrey can't make worse.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

After seeing the clips from Comic-Con, I'm still a bit creeped out about it. Not sure this will be my cup of tea. I really didn't enjoy watching the Marley ghost scene.. and I still don't care for Jim Carrey voice performances (i find them distracting).

But I will probably give it a chance... but Zemeckis has yet to impress me since 1999's Contact.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

I definitely feel the movie warrants a chance! Like I mentioned before, I think that this kind of technology really lends itself well to the story. Zemeckis said it's a ghost story and a time travel story - I can't think of a better scenario to use mo-cap than for ghosts and time-travel. It'll be a good test for Zemeckis so show just how well he can tell a story using motion capture, rather than just showing off the technology, ya know?

As for Jim Carrey - I know a lot of people are worried he'll turn in one of his "over-the-top" performances but he is very capable of turning in subtle, good ones too, a la Truman Show. There are lots of movies that have been done over and over...with different versions and different actors....and I think if the job is done well enough, then each generation will discover and embrace these movies/performances as their own. So we'll just have to see....

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

A Disney/Dickens Christmas in London

Press Release by Walt Disney Company:

Burbank, CA. (Sept. 13, 2009) -- London will host a traditional Dickensian Christmas with a little Disney magic this holiday season as Jim Carrey, Colin Firth, Robin Wright Penn, Bob Hoskins and Academy Award-winning filmmaker Robert Zemeckis come together to celebrate the World Premiere of DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL on Nov. 3, 2009. The festivities include a history-making coordinated Christmas Lights Switch-On: for the first time ever, the world famous Christmas Lights on Regent and Oxford Streets, plus the festivities in The City of London—at the very heart of Dickensian London—will share the same theme of DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL.

The World Premiere of the fantasy adventure film will take place at London’s Leicester Square, utilizing three cinemas to create the biggest-ever 3D premiere. Filmmakers and the stars from DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL will be on hand for the red-carpet celebration and subsequent film screening. The World Premiere is in support of the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children; Dickens was a founding patron of the facility. As part of its continued efforts on behalf of the hospital, The Walt Disney Company will be making a donation.

Event Highlights include:

*Regent Street, Oxford Street and The City of London will each be decked out with decor, live entertainers and holiday spirit—all themed to DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL .

*Jim Carrey, Colin Firth, Robin Wright Penn, Bob Hoskins and director Robert Zemeckis will take part in the celebration.

*Leicester Square will be bursting with its own holiday spirit, complete with Christmas carolers in period costumes, falling snow, live entertainment and several giant screens, allowing onlookers to witness each switch-on as it happens.

*The World Premiere will take place simultaneously in three theaters in Leicester Square: Odeon Leicester Square, Empire and Odeon West End, welcoming an audience of more than 4,000.

*Tickets to the World Premiere will be on sale Sept. 14 at www.londonschristmascarol.com.

*The World Premiere is in support of the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children; Dickens was a founding patron of the facility. As part of its continued efforts on behalf of the hospital, The Walt Disney Company will be making a donation.

*The Regent Street Christmas lights were first launched in 1954.
    *This year will mark the 50th Anniversary of the Oxford Street Christmas Lights.

About the movie:

DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL, a multi-sensory thrill ride re-envisioned by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Robert Zemeckis, captures the fantastical essence of the classic Dickens tale in a groundbreaking 3D motion picture event.

Ebenezer Scrooge (Jim Carrey) begins the Christmas holiday with his usual miserly contempt, barking at his faithful clerk (Gary Oldman) and his cheery nephew (Colin Firth. But when the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come take him on an eye-opening journey revealing truths Old Scrooge is reluctant to face, he must open his heart to undo years of ill will before it’s too late

• Banned User

The official trailer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ3lr3urgDU"]YouTube - Jim Carreys A Christmas Carol Official Trailer[/ame]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12