•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Sascha Baren Cohen is "Brüno"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Sascha Baren Cohen is "Brüno"

I think Sasha Baren Cohen is a genius. It takes a lot of... something to do a lot of the things he did in Borat and the stuff he's apparently going to be doing in Bruno. He puts himself in physical harm (even the bleaching thing...) to do these roles which point out our cultural issues. Find that really either stupid or brave.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I think Bruno looks hilarious. He's got guts, or something like that, lol. I think it definitely looks better than Borat.

• Earth Intruder

hahah it looks hilarious.... traditional african name.. :P
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

i loved Borat, i'm sure i'm going to love Bruno too
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

There's already a lot of Bruno available from Da Ali G Show. You can rent the DVDs or find stuff on YouTube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhP0tOm6yt0]Bruno - Austria GayTV[/ame]
    Last edited by steamboatpete; 05-20-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Circle of Ancients

This looks so great.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Ve are looking for a lockshmith....

I hate it when that happens.

-----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I like Sacha. I loved him in Sweeney Todd too . Good actor in my opinion.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

http://marcmalkin.eonline.com/
    Move over, Jennifer Aniston.

Brüno wants a piece of your naked magazine turf.

In an ode to Ms. Aniston's legendary nude GQ cover from earlier this year, Brüno, aka Sacha Baron Cohen, appears on the men's magazine's July issue in nothing but his nakedness.

Inside, however, Cohen's gay Austrian fashion journalist alter ego is shown in all states of dress...

There's the Abercrombie and Fitch-like football team pics. His shoulderpads and jockstrap are, of course, bedazzled. There's also the shiny vinyl S&M attire and his signature Roberto Cavalli animal-print underwear.

Bruno also offers tips on manscaping, wearing heels and gym essentials like nipple clamps.

If Cohen's use of the most horrendous of gay stereotypes rubs you the wrong way, ya may want to skip this GQ story. But if you find his flamboyant prancing about more funny than offensive, dig in. A little talk about anal bleaching never really hurt anyone.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Brüno: Gays Ask for Changes

Today 1:40 PM PDT by Marc Malkin

No doubt about it—Sacha Baron Cohen uses every negative gay stereotype you could possibly imagine in his portrayal of Brüno, his Austrian fashion journalist alter ego.

He's a flamboyant limp-wristed queen who has wild sex, dresses in barely-there S&M ensembles and has never met a Swarovski crystal he doesn't like.

Is it any wonder that a big portion of gay Hollywood finds parts of the upcoming Brüno movie more offensive than humorous?

The big question right now is will Brüno leave audiences laughing with gays or at gays?

GLAAD, the gay media watchdog group, is so concerned about Cohen's depiction of homosexuality in the flick that it asked Universal Pictures, the studio releasing Brüno, to include a message of support for gay rights and tolerance from Cohen at the end of the movie.
    The request was denied. "We have very mixed emotions about the movie," said Rashad Robinson, GLAAD's senior director of media programs. "Those of us who saw the film agreed that you can't critique it as a single film because it's more like 90 minutes of individual sketches. Some are funny and hit their mark but others hit the [gay] community instead."

Universal said in statement that Brüno's intent is to challenge people.

"Brüno uses provocative comedy to powerfully shed light on the absurdity of many kinds of intolerance and ignorance, including homophobia," the statement said in part.

Really?

One scene includes Brüno and a sexual partner tied up in chains in a hotel room, wearing nothing but G-strings. Also in the room? A tarp on the wall is dirtied with fecal stains and there are gerbils in a dresser drawer, according to Hollywood blog The Wrap.

Robinson said GLAAD is also concerned about a scene in which Brüno appears on a talk show to discuss his adoption of an African baby. They asked that a photo shown during the bit showing a baby sitting in the same hot tub where two men are having sex be cut.
    "This movie does not unmask stereotypes by showing pictures like that, they enforce them," Robinson said. "As someone who sat at the back of a focus group audience outside of Los Angeles, I felt they were laughing at us at times."

He is still hopeful the hot tub photo will be cut. Universal has promised that GLAAD can see the movie another time before its July 7 debut, Robinson said. A rep for the studio declined to comment about the possibility of a future screening.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

another perspective:

News from Studio Briefing - Film News

Gay activists are expressing concern that Sacha Baron Cohen's Brüno may have the unintended effect of reinforcing negative stereotypes about homosexuals -- despite Cohen's obvious attempt to lampoon homophobia. "We do feel the intentions of the filmmakers are in the right place -- satire of this form can unmask homophobia -- but at the same time it can heighten people's discomfort with our community," Rashad Robinson of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation told Reuters. The wire service reported that GLAAD's request that Cohen add a message to the film about gay rights and tolerance was rejected by Universal, the studio releasing it. "Brüno uses provocative comedy to powerfully shed light on the absurdity of many kinds of intolerance and ignorance, including homophobia," the studio said.

• Goofy

he has done it again ladies and gentlemen. this guy is a genious.

• Hello Dolly.

Yes he is brilliant. He takes his comedy to another level, even very risky ones. Like that Eminem skit at the MTV awards was crazy, even though after they announced it was staged =/.
    Hope this movies as great as it seems.