• Minion

Post Blazing Saddles, Bleeding Hearts, and Frog Princesses

Disney's first African American princess has been making headlines and string up controversy since it's announcement about two years ago, as expected. Ultimately, there are two camps regarding the issue: passionate anti-Disney outcry and the defensive Disney can do no wrong crowd. People have been serving their opinions left and right, even causing Disney to tweak the story line and change the name of the lead character to mollify the already heated concerns. One particular
    blog, Racialicious , (yes that's the actual name) sums up the general matter perfectly and has grabbed my attention. As a part Hispanic, black, and white male I felt at once obligated to weigh in by my own means and also moved to respond the writer’s criticism.

here is a link to the essay

Because it’s Disney people automatically assume that there is a lesson being told. The truth being however, that Disney first and foremost is a company committed to making entertainment. Secondly, Disney is publicly owned; therefore it has an obligation to it’s shareholders to make money. Apart from business, I think Disney has made some incredible strides in their filmmaking and television in terms of diversity i.e. First transgender actress, Candis Cayne on network TV, A biracial romance in an animated film (Hunchback of Notre Dame & Pocahontas) ect.

When people think Disney films they think of the product and not the fact that hundreds of artists work to get it made, each with their own individual tastes, walks of life, and ethnic backgrounds. Just as it’s impossible for any animated film influenced by politically correctness to completely represent a respective heritage or ethnicity, it’s rather difficult for one movie to speak for all of its filmmakers

The problem I have with the criticism is that it reflects a racial-centric tendency that prevents society from total and complete equality. The message of this article is not that Disney is racist; rather it details how our ethnicity is central to our being. Much in the same way black super models are accused of veritable ethnic cleansing for straightening their hair or dying it blonde, Disney comes under fire if a black heroine falls in love with a white prince. When in an ideal society that shouldn’t matter, but in a racially obsessed world, perfectly aligned with the injustices of the past and the tribulations of the present, an interracial relationship would be off limits; especially in an animated family film.

What is also bothersome is the profuse sense of entitlement that unfairly attacks any sense of creative licensee on Disney’s part. “Superficially pro-multicultural” films like Pocahontas were intended to be poetic prayers for peace as opposed to hardcore retellings of actual events. In princess and the frog’s case, The heroine’s “raggedy half-toothless firefly” sidekick just doesn’t compare to Sebastian the crab. More importantly, stating that young black boys will miss a positive black male figure to look up to is valid, however ones skin color should not be the criteria for a relatable, positive role model. (Not my criteria at least, I always respected and look up to Barbra Streisand, a white, Jewish, liberal, feminist.)

The point is this: I don’t want to be hampered by labels; I want to be liberated from them.

but how are you guys reacting to this?
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 06-15-2009 at 09:33 PM.

• Minion

Re: Blazing Saddles, Bleeding Hearts, and Frog Princesses

I guess this is a touchy subject.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    It's hard to make out what you're talking about here but I'm guessing it has something to do with Disney's new animated film The Frog & The Princess that is due out for the holiday season this year.

I don't see what all the controversy is. I think it is great that Disney is finally going back to it's roots, going back to what they've always done best for over 50 years. Classic animated storytelling.

I saw the preview for it with Up. And I find it really funny that the first 4 animated movies they show on the drawing board (Aladdin, Lion King, Little Mermaid, & Beauty and the Beast) were also the ones that were featured in the 4 separate trailers for Lilo & Stitch.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    It's hard to make out what you're talking about here but I'm guessing it has something to do with Disney's new animated film The Frog & The Princess that is due out for the holiday season this year.
    You have to read the artical in order to get it, I didn't bother to summarize it.

• Banned User

How ironic! I linked to that very same essay in this post just yesterday! It's a great one, too, one that brings up some very important issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    Yeah, it is. And unfortunately, a lot of people are either too reticent to speak up or too unfamiliar with the issues involved to really contribute to the discussion in a confident manner (save for the usual bluster of certain types who think they know what they're talking about because they heard Rush or Sean or Billo make some snarky remarks about it).

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post

I don't see what all the controversy is. I think it is great that Disney is finally going back to it's roots, going back to what they've always done best for over 50 years. Classic animated storytelling.
    This reply has all the naive charm of the Brady Bunch....

• Minion

ha How interesting! I saw that vary loooooong post yesterday in that vary heated thread and thought I was lucky that no one posted in my little thread. I would have been up for hours trying to keep up with the debate!