37 48.68%
  • No, Eisner should be inducted as a Disney Legend

27 35.53%
  • I'm Indifferent on whether he is or isn't inducted as a Disney Legend

12 15.79%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Imaginative Possibilities

Re: Should Michael Eisner be inducted as a Disney Legend

Eisner came in during 84, at that time Disney wasn't doing so hot. Eisner transformed the Disney Company into a Billion dollar power house. Although his years turned sour towards the end of his reign he still should be acknowledged for his great contributions he made as CEO in the first of his years. Yes like it or not Eisner goes hand in hand with the Disney name, and for someone with sort of impact should be called a Disney Legend.

• oh bugger

Like Eisner or not, the company is in a better place now than it was in 1984 when Eisner came on board (literally). Despite the last few years of decline his long-term record is outstanding and we all owe a lot to him. Obviously that idea is a hard pill to swallow for some but tough. For better or worse Eisner is the one responsible for us still even having a Walt Disney Co. to love and cheerish.

If I were him I'd probably have done the same... being CEO of Disney, you'd have to have a shareholder revolt to get rid of me. My own personal love of the Co. would blind me to a lot of the problems, what a great responsibility he has had and done wonderful things with. Letting the last 7 years overshadow the 13 that came before it is wrong.

• Across From DL

Even though Eisner neglected Disneyland the company's flagship park he saved the company from being bought by some 2nd rate royals if he wasn't here Disneyland might not have ever seen its 35th Anniversary just remember where the company and its stock is at now

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52
    Like Eisner or not, the company is in a better place now than it was in 1984 when Eisner came on board (literally). Despite the last few years of decline his long-term record is outstanding and we all owe a lot to him. Obviously that idea is a hard pill to swallow for some but tough. For better or worse Eisner is the one responsible for us still even having a Walt Disney Co. to love and cheerish.

If I were him I'd probably have done the same... being CEO of Disney, you'd have to have a shareholder revolt to get rid of me. My own personal love of the Co. would blind me to a lot of the problems, what a great responsibility he has had and done wonderful things with. Letting the last 7 years overshadow the 13 that came before it is wrong.
    It's more like the first ten to the last ten.

As soon as Frank Wells died in 1994, The Walt Disney Company went to hell.

You may have liked what Disney did between 1984 and 1994, but who deserves the recognition for those things?

• See you there!

I have to agree, that during the first 10 years (when he had Frank Wells) things were blossoming, but after Wells died, things started to go down hill.

True, if not for Eisner and Wells Disneyland and the Disney Company might have gone away. The company flourished until Wells died, but somhow after, things just weren't the same. I believe Eisner did some good things after Wells, but somhow around 2000, things started to not be as good.

I think Eisner needed another "Wells". Walt needed Roy, and Eisner needed Wells.

As for indcution into the Disney Legends, well, I just don't know. He did a lot of good before he started doing, well, what he did the last 5 or 6 years, soooo.... I defer to others who have more knowledge about what it means to be a "Disney Legend".

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• Happy New Year to all

So in other words what I'm hearing is the once Wells died Eisner couldn't do it on his own. So why give someone credit for something he didn't do. I say NO, don't vote him in (again this is my personal opinion). I lived in Burbank and had many Friends working at Disney. I recall some of them said he didn't do good by the employees, he was greedy and money hungry himself. Could they have had a beef with Eisner or the company possibly but it doesn't change my mind.

• Banned User

Eisner did go great things in the beginning, but that was because Frank Wells could reign him in. Roy went after both of them as a team. They were brought in because at the time the stock price was so low and noone at disney was willing to take risks, they ran the company as if walt was still alive. and no offense to Ron Miller, but it was going into the toilet. It was so bad that Lillian Disney showed up at a board meeting and demanded that something be done. at any rate both ron and micheal were brought in, and as a team they worked well together. after frank's death, Micheal became a dictator and wouldn't listen to anyone. Yes he did stave a hostile takeover and managed to keep the company together a grow it as well, but he isn't a disney legend. He is a former CEO just as Roy's dad was, and if Roy's dad isn't a legend, then eisner shouldn't be.
    PS. I didn't realise that eisner was the largest stockholder, I thought that honor was Roy's. and of course the disney family still controls a large block of stock that is held in trust.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    PS. I didn't realise that eisner was the largest stockholder, I thought that honor was Roy's. and of course the disney family still controls a large block of stock that is held in trust.
    Roy has been divesting for quite some time. I don't think the rest of the family has that much in stock to be a voice in what goes on. Grocery store doesn't accept DIS stock in trade.

Heck, even Eisner doesn't have all that much, when compared to the total outstanding.
    One reason why Walt and Roy could do what they wanted, regardless of the shareholders' demands: they still owned a lot of the company.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

roy hasn't sold as much as the gold family had to sell back in 2001. and walt's stock is held mostly in two trusts, well 90% if it is, both are controlled by diane and some other trustees at the moment. One is for the family and the other is for cal arts. I don't know what roy's father's will said but I bet he got most of the stock. Sharon was on the disney board when she died and all the members of the family ( including lilian) had personal blocks of stock as well. when Ron was kicked out, diane sold her personal shares to help finance the winery but her children still have stock, and roy's family has stock as well. Eisner did own a bunch of stock but he was smart and resigned from the board as well as from CEO. now we just have to get rid of mitchell and get another family member back on the board and I will think the company is going in the right direction. Oh and I still believe he doesn't qualify to be a legend. Frank wells qualifys in my eyes but not eisner

• Vehicle rotating backward

I'll say yes. Card Walker did a lot of stuff wrong but did some things right and I see his name up there. And I see Tim Allen listed as well, was Buzz Lightyear really that popular a solo character or something and I missed it?

• Banned User

tim allen did home improvement, that was touchstone tv, and he did the santa claus movies and several other touchstone films that I can't remember. He still does work for disney.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234