• Circle of Ancients

3D Movie Glasses - Recycle or Reuse?

After we saw UP today, they had these bins out front of the theatre to recycle your glasses.

If they REALLY wanted to help the environment, they would allow you to keep your glasses and not have to re-buy them the next time you see a 3D movie.

IMO, the chances of this happening is less than zero, and it's sad.

Sure, it's a money-making thing, but for them to "pretend" that they want to help the environment with the recycling thing is a joke.

We now have probably 10 or so of the Real 3D glasses from various movies. I've asked at the theatre if we can re-use the glasses and not have to pay for new ones. The answer is of course no.

I'm more than willing to pay an extra $1 or so to see it in 3D, but to have to pay an extra $3.50 each time is getting ridiculous.

I really think the movie companies and theatres need to get together and consider allowing people to keep their glasses for future movies. ESPECIALLY since there are at least 5 or 6 more 3D movies coming out this year.

Thoughts?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: 3D Movie Glasses - Recycle or Reuse?

Thanks for starting this topic, Clinks!

When my local theater started charging an extra $1 for each 3D ticket, I thought it was somewhat reasonable. BUT when I went to see Monsters and Aliens in 3D, I was very surprised that the $5 Saturday morning charge was $8 instead. And you know what, I have been a fan of the 3D movies. But at an extra $3 charge for each ticket, it's just not worth it, for the majority of movies.

At first I could account for the extra amount, knowing that the theaters have to fork over thousands of dollars for each theater being converted, plus the expenses for the 3D glasses. But by now, they have recovered the cost of converting to digital, and now the theaters are increasing the extra charge?????!!!!!!?????

Well, now, theaters will eventually have to convert all their theaters to digital anyway, since digital is the wave of the future. But to increase the 3D glasses charge to $3 bucks for each ticket, is just not worth it.

3D, bah-humbug, I'm going back to 2D

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    After we saw UP today, they had these bins out front of the theatre to recycle your glasses.

If they REALLY wanted to help the environment, they would allow you to keep your glasses and not have to re-buy them the next time you see a 3D movie.

IMO, the chances of this happening is less than zero, and it's sad.

Sure, it's a money-making thing, but for them to "pretend" that they want to help the environment with the recycling thing is a joke.

We now have probably 10 or so of the Real 3D glasses from various movies. I've asked at the theatre if we can re-use the glasses and not have to pay for new ones. The answer is of course no.

I'm more than willing to pay an extra $1 or so to see it in 3D, but to have to pay an extra $3.50 each time is getting ridiculous.

I really think the movie companies and theatres need to get together and consider allowing people to keep their glasses for future movies. ESPECIALLY since there are at least 5 or 6 more 3D movies coming out this year.

Thoughts?
    Besides the glasses how was the movie?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

maybe if they refunded me two dollars to return the glasses, i would be more willing to recycle the glasses. I have near zero incentive right now.

• Infinitized!

Pay the extra fee if you don't have glasses, but if you got your own, don't... like bowling shoes.