View Poll Results: Which recent Disney/Pixar film is better?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up (Pixar)

111 90.24%
  • Bolt (Walt Disney Animation Studios)

6 4.88%
  • They're both equally good.

4 3.25%
  • They both stink.

1 0.81%
  • Neutral

1 0.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Disney Secrets Master

Re: Poll: Up vs. Bolt

Up!
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm not sure why Al didn't like UP, but to me, it is one of Pixar's best. Beautiful, well written, and heartwarming.

On the other hand, Bolt was cute and funny, but not a Disney classic by any stretch of the imagination.

I think the poll above proves without a doubt that UP is far superior to Bolt in nearly every way.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• The line's too long...

Not even close, Up by a mile.

Up was great my kids loved it more than bolt. Is just a lil darker since his wife dies i had to tell my lil girl is a part of life. But it is some of pixar best work they have yet to let me down with their movie's

You know something, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, not only Al. I love this website so much, too, but sometimes these "in defense of Al" posts just get too P.C.-Ridiculous.

Why do people feel it necessary to shoot down any opposing opinion to Al's like it's some hate message?

Most of his readers disagree with him. So what?

We the readers have our opinions too, even ones that contradict Al's-- who some hold to be sacred.

If it were anyone else you wouldn't see people giving those "in defense" posts.

Al's a grown man who obviously has a keen eye to these things, so of course he knew he'd get a lot of flack from his comment... if anything he's probably laughing in some bet with someone on his staff to see how many Pixar purists make-up his site's attendance.

He knows what he wrote, so let him answer for himself...

and yes, I do disagree wholeheartedly with Al on this one...

I do think Al is great as the editor in chief of MiceAge.com and I admit that his articles are the only ones I really get excited to read and check for every Tuesday... though it's been a while...

But in my honest and entitled human opinion-- when it comes to comparing these two incomparable films...(like heavyweight and lightweight) he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Now I feel like I can't trust Al's opinions on Disney films... and to me (and I'm sure most of the readers on this site) now feel the same way...it's just disappointing.

Now because of one small Editor's note, to most of his readers, Al's columns will only hold water to theme park news rather than a "jack of all fields news" if you will. And all it tells me is that his readers won't trust his opinions when it comes to films anymore.

In a very obligated way, I say this all in due respect to Al. People are people entitled to their views.

...and yes, I do feel a bit like Santa Claus prefers Columbus Day to Christmas...

But no worries, we still love you Al!

Now as far as storytelling, directing, music, animation, playability to ALL audiences along with groundbreaking visuals go... Up is a really good movie.

Bolt however doesn't even match up, it uses the stale and mediocre formulaic type of storytelling that Dreamworks always milks until you just can't stand it anymore.

Movies like Bolt, Shark Tale, Antz, Madagascar, Chicken Little(God help us) Shrek, and Monsters Vs. Good Storytelling... oops I'm mean "Aliens", make audience goers pray for some natural disaster or reason to leave the theater to prevent them from continuing on with the film.

I'm just so sick of seeing all these B-list actors like Travolta and the "hot", new, Disney Channel pop fad child actor who will be completely erased from human memory in 15 years...making their rounds as usual through these sub-par wastes of time.

Why can't they all just go the way of the "famous" Jett Jackson?

Then the "directors" don't even use their B-list actor's full vocal potential-- with unrecognizable vocals (Ben Stiller, Jada Pinkett in Madagascar anyone?)... I mean why hire all kinds of stars if you can't recognize their voices?

Ratatouille told me that Pixar favors quality rather than sheer star power (sure Toy story did it) but two of the leading character voices (Emile and Linguine) were merely animators who fit the parts really well...

Bolt will never compare to Up...
    Last edited by Worshipeternal; 06-10-2009 at 11:29 AM.

And lest we forget, there is a 10.35% margin of error. Jk... lol

Go Up!

• Legends never die...

On the topic of "target audience," in my opinion, Bolt didn't even fill that quota. I don't recall hearing any kids laugh during Bolt, whereas BOTH times I saw Up, kids burst out laughing. That was with a full and a relatively empty theatre. Up definitely wins.

And thats without the bias I have against processed child stars who sing duets with old men... ew.
    My Inspirations:
    Thurl Ravenscroft and Paul Frees
    AND
    Robert and Richard Sherman

• Infinitized!

Yup, Up! was definitely better than Bolt.

• 7/17/2005 I was there!

Gotta agree with Al on this one. I thought "Up" was just ok. I felt the parts in "Up" where everyone in my theater started to sniffle and cry were forced. Its like the writers and diectors purposely said "hey lets make the audience cry here," and I usually am the one who gets choked up all the time at sad movies. "Bolt" on the other hand, made me laugh many times as well as tear up towards the end. Must be the animal-lover in me. My friends and I quote lines from "Bolt" all the time. The 3-D version of "Up" was great to look at though.
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

So, to answer Al's questions;
    1. It's not just you, but it's a very small minority of Chatters. Less than 5%, as of this writing.
    2. No, Bolt was not better than Up.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I just created a MiceChat account for the express purpose of voting in this poll...for Bolt. Yes, the film has flaws (for example, the forgettable heroine looks like a "PhilharMagic" escapee), but for sheer entertainment value, I have to side with Bolt. The charge of employing the DreamWorks approach is bunk. Aside from Cyrus and Travolta (the latter of whom hardly qualifies as a celebrity anymore, and whose name wasn't prominent in the advertising), the film featured no one of any note. And the breakout performance of the film (Rhino) came from an animator, in what I would argue is the best example yet of the animator-turned-actor phenomenon. (He sure beat the tar out of whoever voiced Linguini.) Let's not forget: DreamWorks' problem isn't the casting of established actors; it's the casting of marquee names because they're famous, the insertion of celebrities in order to sell tickets. The problem wasn't that Princess Fiona was Cameron Diaz; it was that Cameron Diaz brought nothing to the role, and yet was proffered on every poster and trailer as a reason to see Shrek.

As for Up, I was disappointed, and I think frustrated expectations may have had something to do with it. It's getting to the point where critics and fans are so smitten with Pixar that they anoint each new film as the studio's best three weeks before its release date. No movie can live up to the kind of praise that's routinely slathered on Pixar films now. I agree with Walt Fan about the feeling of manipulation in certain scenes. I had the same experience with WALL-E, where I felt that Pixar was consciously crafting a Great Film, rather than an enjoyable romp like Toy Story, which became great by achieving its modest goals with tremendous success. But Up's bigger problem for me was that I just didn't care about the main conflict of Act 2. I found myself thinking, "Just let him have the friggin' bird, and get back to towing your house."

Also, this movie just wasn't as funny as Pixar's previous (WALL-E excepted). The talking dogs felt contrived, and though their screwy syntax was amusing, it didn't hold a candle to Rhino and Mittens in Bolt.

If you ask me, Up aimed higher and missed the mark. Bolt aimed lower and succeeded wildly. Does that make them incomparable? Maybe. But I know which one I wanted to see again when I walked out, and it wasn't Up.

(3 small notes, by the way:

1. The fact that Up won in the poll proves nothing about its quality, only its popularity.
    2. To claim that Al's credibility is tarnished because of his Up-Bolt preference is beyond ludicrous. Roger Ebert liked Speed 2, and nobody seems to mind. It's possible to hold an unpopular opinion and still be a well-informed, judicious critic. Al gamely voiced what he likely knew was a dissenting opinion, and he should be saluted for it.
    3. I am not a dog person, but since both movies featured prominent canines, I don't think that matters.)

• Rock Star Minion

I think most people are simply wondering what Al is smoking. You, too!

And, Welcome!

I'd just hate to see Al turn into some curmudgeon living in the New England wilderness, or some facsimile therein.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoppler View Post
    I just created a MiceChat account for the express purpose of voting in this poll...for Bolt. Yes, the film has flaws (for example, the forgettable heroine looks like a "PhilharMagic" escapee), but for sheer entertainment value, I have to side with Bolt. The charge of employing the DreamWorks approach is bunk. Aside from Cyrus and Travolta (the latter of whom hardly qualifies as a celebrity anymore, and whose name wasn't prominent in the advertising), the film featured no one of any note. And the breakout performance of the film (Rhino) came from an animator, in what I would argue is the best example yet of the animator-turned-actor phenomenon. (He sure beat the tar out of whoever voiced Linguini.) Let's not forget: DreamWorks' problem isn't the casting of established actors; it's the casting of marquee names because they're famous, the insertion of celebrities in order to sell tickets. The problem wasn't that Princess Fiona was Cameron Diaz; it was that Cameron Diaz brought nothing to the role, and yet was proffered on every poster and trailer as a reason to see Shrek.

As for Up, I was disappointed, and I think frustrated expectations may have had something to do with it. It's getting to the point where critics and fans are so smitten with Pixar that they anoint each new film as the studio's best three weeks before its release date. No movie can live up to the kind of praise that's routinely slathered on Pixar films now. I agree with Walt Fan about the feeling of manipulation in certain scenes. I had the same experience with WALL-E, where I felt that Pixar was consciously crafting a Great Film, rather than an enjoyable romp like Toy Story, which became great by achieving its modest goals with tremendous success. But Up's bigger problem for me was that I just didn't care about the main conflict of Act 2. I found myself thinking, "Just let him have the friggin' bird, and get back to towing your house."

Also, this movie just wasn't as funny as Pixar's previous (WALL-E excepted). The talking dogs felt contrived, and though their screwy syntax was amusing, it didn't hold a candle to Rhino and Mittens in Bolt.

If you ask me, Up aimed higher and missed the mark. Bolt aimed lower and succeeded wildly. Does that make them incomparable? Maybe. But I know which one I wanted to see again when I walked out, and it wasn't Up.

(3 small notes, by the way:

1. The fact that Up won in the poll proves nothing about its quality, only its popularity.
    2. To claim that Al's credibility is tarnished because of his Up-Bolt preference is beyond ludicrous. Roger Ebert liked Speed 2, and nobody seems to mind. It's possible to hold an unpopular opinion and still be a well-informed, judicious critic. Al gamely voiced what he likely knew was a dissenting opinion, and he should be saluted for it.
    3. I am not a dog person, but since both movies featured prominent canines, I don't think that matters.)

I think you make good points, but most of these points about the films are more opinion based than factual.

The only fact is that critics are praising UP pretty wildly. And I even admitted to my surprise that they like it as much as they do. But can you blame the movie for what the media creates? Is it UP's fault if every critic raised your expectations too high?

I saw UP a few days before it was released. I was disappointed. Not because it was bad, disappointed that I didn't love it the same way I loved Wall-E, Ratatouille, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 1 and 2.

You're right that the dogs in Up feel... well.. they didn't seem to fit and it's a reasonable argument. Pixar asked us to suspend our belief that balloons can actually yank a house out of its foundation and fly to South America. And that's just about as far as I wanted to suspend myself.

Dogs flying planes, borderline 100 year old vs 78 year old.... it just got too weird. But even with that, the end was sweet and the beginning was one of the most brilliantly assembled pieces of filmmaking I've seen in a long while.

Up, even with parts that I'm not 100% fond of, it's at least 100% original.

Bolt is entertaining and cute, but the entire time, I felt that it was basically a rehash of other movies. Toy Story for one. I also found some of the characters in Bolt to be incredibly annoying (the director and the agent) and written not as real characters, but stereotypical hollywood.

Both are solid pieces of entertainment. Up just offers more originality and more freshness to the table. It's a coming of old-age story. It's a story about being there for a young one and vice versa. It's a story about living your adventure right this moment and enjoying even the boring aspects.

So whether you like Bolt more than Up is entirely up to you. Movies mean different things to different people. Up just gave me a lot more to chew on.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

A. Roger Ebert is a hack.

B. I love the Jim Hill reference... some curmudgeon living in the New England wilderness... thank you for that.

C. See UP while it's in the theaters-- you'll thank me later.

D. Buy Bolt only if there is a gun to your temple.

---End Transmission---

To those who responded to my earlier comment: Al also disliked WALL-E, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't too fond of Ratatouille either. (of course, not nearly as much as Jim Hill, who was out to destroy it for some reason) And yet he sung the praises of Meet the Robinsons and Bolt. (I think he had the good mind to trash Chicken Little)

I just find it extremely amusing that one of the few places you'll find negativity on a Pixar movie is on the front page of a Disney fansite...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast