Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince - Review & Discussion Thread - Possible Spoilers

Sorry NNL.....

But I've got Potter fever right now. I know this movie hasn't quite been released yet, and I looked for a discussion thread but there wasn't one.

(And if anyone is interested, particularly those Potter fans, please see the thread below)

http://micechat.com/forums/entertain...ry-better.html

So if anyone has anything they'd like to provide, please feel free to share with everyone. All I know is I can't wait for this one to be released.

There is only one problem I am having with this movie so far.

In it, the Burrow, the home of the Weasleys, is attacked at some point during the film. The Burrow was never attacked in the 6th book that I can remember, and I'm pretty sure about it. The only time I can remember it being attacked was in the 7th and final book, during Fleur's & Bill's wedding.

As with everytime a Potter film comes out, (or when the books were coming out) or just to fill the void between movies, I read through the series starting with book 1. I'm currently on the fifth book, with full intent on finishing the sixth book (which I remember buying and reading the day it came out, July 16th, 2005, and waiting with all the other hundreds of die hard Disney fans to go through the gates the morning of the 17th - AND YES - there were plenty of Potter fans in that crowd, also, reading the very same book!) right before the 6th movie comes out. And then getting right into the final book after seeing the movie.

So Potter fans unite and have some fun!

• Disneyland PAP

Re: Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince - Review & Discussion Thread - Possible Spoi

I just had over a co-worker friend and her boyfriend to watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the only one they hadn’t seen yet. It was from my Blu-ray trunk set that’s been sitting on my shelf for a year but never made the time to watch ‘em all. I finally did this past week (and they look great!). I’ve also been listening to my CDs of the sixth book whenever I’m in my car. I think I’m on chapter 23 now. So I’m gearing up for the new flick too. And I too remember my “magical” weekend buying and reading the Half-Blood Prince and waiting in line inside DCA at 3am to enter Disneyland at 7am. I’d actually finished reading Prince about an hour and a half before getting in line!

Now for the speculation on the HBP movie. There’s definitely the Weasley home attack scene you mention that’s not in the novel and has been written specifically for the movie. I’d read about it back when the movie started production and caused a bit of a stir, but whatcha gonna do? They felt they had a legitimate reason to do it, and frankly now that the original screenwriter Steve Kloves is back after skipping out on us in Order of the Phoenix, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Frankly, I’m more bummed that Emma Thompson won’t be returning as Professor Trelawney. From what I’d read, she’s directing the next Nanny McPhee movie from her own screenplay instead. But there are some memorable, pivotal scenes her character’s involved in that obviously need to be adapted around her absence for movie. So that’ll be interested to see how they do that.

And these are a few minor bits of quibbling, but it wasn’t until I started listening to HBP again that I realized that the movie version of Horace Slughorn won’t have the walrus moustache as he’s described to have in the book. And in what I’ve been able to notice fleetingly in the teaser trailers, Dumbledore’s left hand (as described in the book) doesn’t look quite as I imagined it to be in the movie.

• Minion

Re: Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince - Review & Discussion Thread - Possible Spoi

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    I just had over a co-worker friend and her boyfriend to watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the only one they hadn’t seen yet. It was from my Blu-ray trunk set that’s been sitting on my shelf for a year but never made the time to watch ‘em all. I finally did this past week (and they look great!). I’ve also been listening to my CDs of the sixth book whenever I’m in my car. I think I’m on chapter 23 now. So I’m gearing up for the new flick too. And I too remember my “magical” weekend buying and reading the Half-Blood Prince and waiting in line inside DCA at 3am to enter Disneyland at 7am. I’d actually finished reading Prince about an hour and a half before getting in line!

Now for the speculation on the HBP movie. There’s definitely the Weasley home attack scene you mention that’s not in the novel and has been written specifically for the movie. I’d read about it back when the movie started production and caused a bit of a stir, but whatcha gonna do? They felt they had a legitimate reason to do it, and frankly now that the original screenwriter Steve Kloves is back after skipping out on us in Order of the Phoenix, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Frankly, I’m more bummed that Emma Thompson won’t be returning as Professor Trelawney. From what I’d read, she’s directing the next Nanny McPhee movie from her own screenplay instead. But there are some memorable, pivotal scenes her character’s involved in that obviously need to be adapted around her absence for movie. So that’ll be interested to see how they do that.

And these are a few minor bits of quibbling, but it wasn’t until I started listening to HBP again that I realized that the movie version of Horace Slughorn won’t have the walrus moustache as he’s described to have in the book. And in what I’ve been able to notice fleetingly in the teaser trailers, Dumbledore’s left hand (as described in the book) doesn’t look quite as I imagined it to be in the movie.

I couldn't finish the book. I was one of the like first 50 in there, and though I was by myself, I was interacting a lot with the people in front of me, who also, were potter fans. And for some reason, when I try to picture Slughorn while I'm reading the book, I picture Jumba from Lilo & Stitch, when he has the moustache disguise on.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I usually reread the appropriate book before seeing the movie at the theatre. I read pretty quickly, so early next month, I will dust off my copy, and refresh my memory of this book.

They have not stayed true to the books in the movies so far, so I really doubt they will break that habit. I can understand why they change some things, and other things I just don't understand.

I have enjoyed watching the kids grow, and I look forward to seeing this movie especially. I purchased my copy of the book at the airport on July 16, 2005. I read about 1/2 of it on the plane trip to California. I then finished the remainder on my return trip home about a week later. That was a memorable Disneyland trip in more than one way.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    I couldn't finish the book. I was one of the like first 50 in there, and though I was by myself, I was interacting a lot with the people in front of me, who also, were potter fans.
    And that's why I was glad to get completely through the book before heading out to Disneyland that night. I really wanted to focus on Disneyland for the day, rather than get all bent outta shape wondering how HBP ended! And that's cool you were there that early. I was amazed when I got there and walked through DCA to get to the end of the line; I later learned I was probably in the 7000-8000 group of wristband colors. Great memories.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I purchased my copy of the book at the airport on July 16, 2005. I read about 1/2 of it on the plane trip to California. I then finished the remainder on my return trip home about a week later. That was a memorable Disneyland trip in more than one way.

Ahhhhhhh yes, memories.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Sorry NNL.....
    LOL Why? Could you read my mind that was saying, "WHY is this post necessary, a month before the film is released?" How can people review a film that they haven't seen yet? All the replies so far have been technically off topic - about the books not the movie (except one that has been full of specualtion.). By the time the movie comes out, the reviews will be buried pages down. We're all excited but this thread really shouls have been waited to be started.

To ansswer your question, they have tasken creative liberty with the booksa nd taken out a lot of items, changed a lot and rearranged others. It happens with every book adaption ans has been happening iscne book 1.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• The one and only

Smile Re: Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince - Review & Discussion Thread - Possible Spoi

Well, people HAVE saw it, or at least, a version of it during test screenings a few days after the release date was pushed back last august.

If you listen to mugglecast, one of their members, Erik, got to see it at the Chicago test screening. He gave us some pretty good insight as to what was changed.

If you listen to pottercast, a fan wrote in with a VERY detailed movie review, also having seen it at the Chicago test screening.

We learned these things:
    Spoiler
    Bill and Fleur aren't in the movie

Spoiler
    Luna finds Harry on the train via her spectrespecs. A Quibller product beats out a deathly hallow

Spoiler
    no funeral, nor battle. Only the AK curse and the death eaters running away

Spoiler
    No "Other Minister" scene

Spoiler
    Harry and Ginny don't kiss becuase of the quidditch house cup, she meets him in the room of requirement and they kiss.

Spoiler
    Ginny hides the potion book and has harry close his eyes so snape can't use legilimens against him. (then the aforementioned kiss takes place)

Spoiler
    The burrow attack interrupts Harry and Ginny when they were about to kiss >.>

Spoiler
    No Dursleys/Privet Drive

Spoiler
    No inheriting Grimmauld Place and Kreacher

Spoiler
    No Dobby and Kreacher spying on Draco

Spoiler
    No explanation for Tonks' brown hair, or patronus

Spoiler
    No Remus explaining the Greyback backstory

Spoiler
    Harry isn't frozen as he watches you-know-who's *winkwink* death from the cracks between the wodden floor above him

Spoiler
    movie opened with a scene from the 5th movie, the ministry, to be exact

Spoiler
    you then see the office shots from the trailer, and the millenium bridge collapsing

Spoiler
    it then cuts to harry at a coffee shop. he flirts with a girl, asks what time he gets to work, he sees dumbledore across the train track we then see the side-along apparition

Spoiler
    the scrimgeour "i must not tell lies" scene was cut

Spoiler
    no crabbe and goyle as girls

Spoiler
    no moaning "MURDER IN THE BATHROOM" myrtle

Spoiler
    from leaky: There was definitely tension between Ron and Hermione. In the very beginning at the Burrow, Ron cleans off a bit of toothpaste from Hermione’s cheek. Later in Slughorn’s class she describes what she smells in the love potion and trails off with “spearmint toothpaste…”

that's all i have time for now

sources:
    Test Screening of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! Major Spoiler Alert! - Harry Potter discussion forum for movies, books, and more! - The Leaky Lounge

Detailed Report From "Half-Blood Prince" Test Screening - The Leaky Cauldron

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    LOL Why? Could you read my mind that was saying, "WHY is this post necessary, a month before the film is released?" How can people review a film that they haven't seen yet? All the replies so far have been technically off topic - about the books not the movie (except one that has been full of specualtion.). By the time the movie comes out, the reviews will be buried pages down. We're all excited but this thread really shouls have been waited to be started.

To ansswer your question, they have tasken creative liberty with the booksa nd taken out a lot of items, changed a lot and rearranged others. It happens with every book adaption ans has been happening iscne book 1.

Cause you did the thread about the trailer. I posted this not only for reviews, but to have a Harry Potter discussion as well, before the movie comes out and as it comes out and while it's in theaters.

• Minion

I understand cutting something out because of time or money. But to add something, an extra scene, or a twist to a scene that didn't happen in the book is just not right to me. It's not staying true to form.

I will say that I do like Ginny and Harry together in this. She really is good for him.

• Rock Star Minion

The movies have diverged so much from the books that they are not really the same story anymore.

I've decided not to do detailed comparisons, and just stick to the fact that the movies are inferior to the books. I'll still go, though.

Movie 6 is more a teen love fest than learning about Voldemort's past and about the location of his, um, torn, um, whatchamacallit.

OK, one detail: Romilda seems much hotter on screen than in the book. Shouldn't give Harry such a "hard" choice between her and Ginny. He's actually pondering it in one of the previews.
    Last edited by sediment; 06-10-2009 at 09:33 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    The movies have diverged so much from the books that they are not really the same story anymore.

I've decided not to do detailed comparisons, and just stick to the fact that the movies are inferior to the books. I'll still go, though.

Movie 6 is more a teen love fest than learning about Voldemort's past and about the location of his, um, torn, um, whatchamacallit.

OK, one detail: Romilda seems much hotter on screen than in the book. Shouldn't give Harry such a "hard" choice between her and Ginny. He's actually pondering it in one of the previews.

It's called horcrux.

• Rock Star Minion

It's called horcrux.
    I should have used that. I don't want to spoil much, and I'd rather not use the spolier tags. (I was referring to Voldy's pieces of his somethingorother, though.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I should have used that. I don't want to spoil much, and I'd rather not use the spolier tags. (I was referring to Voldy's pieces of his somethingorother, though.)
    Ah, gotcha!

I wanted to say something about true fans, involving the books and the movies........not sure where to take it though.

I guess that brings me to a good question.

What makes a true Potter fan?

Someone that reads the books, and sees the movies? Or someone that sees the movies and then wants to read the books? Or is it someone who prefers the books more than the movies or vise versa?

That kinda goes along with my other thread, Potter vs Twilight. Which Harry is winning hands down so far.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I didn't read any of the books until the first movie was about to come out. Then I caught up with them, as the movies and the new books came out. I am not a rabid fan, but I do enjoy them. I do tend to compare the movies with the books, and I have been disappointed more than once in scenes that I wish were included that have been cut.

While you are reading a book, you get a picture in your head about how something will look on film, and then it's left out altogether.

All in all, I like the series. I am looking forward to seeing it all completed on film, even if the outcome is a lot different.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast