Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Matterhorn to celebrate it's 50th

The Matterhorn turns 50 on Sunday. In honor of the event Disney is doing ... absolutely nothing.

But go ahead and head down to Disneyland and take a ride on Sunday to commemorate the event.

Matterhorn to celebrate golden anniversary on Sunday - Around Disney - OCRegister.com

The Matterhorn, the iconic mountain of faux snow and speeding bobsleds, celebrates its 50th anniversary Sunday. Disney officials estimate that it has carried more than 258 million guests.

No special ceremony is planned

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Matterhorn to celebrate it's 50th

One of my Favorite Disney Rides of all times. I almost always start my day with this classic ride.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Should I bring a cake? :-)

• Disney friends are #1

Disney has a large 40th Anniversary shindig planned for the beloved Haunted Mansion (including exclusive merchandise purchasing opportunities...ooh!) but nothing for the decade older Matterhorn Bobsleds? Maybe it's just as well. I will go and ride this Disneyland EXCLUSIVE attraction this Sunday (Thanks to Sir Clinksalot for the reminder), purchase a Matterhorn pin, and maybe a postcard of "Fluffy". I have always loved this attraction and will continue to enjoy it for a long time to come, God willing. Thanks Walt, for bringing this unique and iconic multi-use experience to Anaheim. Multi-use you say? This mountain has served as a projection screen (during the "Remember...Dreams Come True" and "Magical" fireworks spectaculars and New Years Eve countdown clock that I know of), a fireworks launch site for "Remember...", a stage for the Mickey's Mountain Climbers show that was presented during the summer daytime hours a few years back where crowds surrounding the mountain were encouraged to cheer as mickey got closer and closer to the peak not to mention the regular summer climbers throughout the years. It has held a giant Christmas star (back in the days before "Christmas" became politically incorrect and morphed into a "Holiday Season"). And most obvious to many, Tinkerbell begins her flight across the castle from the Matterhorn's peak. AND, it's a roller coaster too! I also like the fact that there is only ONE Matterhorn Bobsleds ride in the world! There are no "clones" of this attraction (like "it's a small world", " Haunted Mansion", "Tower of Terror", "...Pooh", "Space Mountain", "Star Tours, "Pirates..." etc. Heck, even our castle was cloned for Hong Kong Disneyland! The Matterhorn Bobsleds is still a one-of-a-kind! It's historic significance also includes it's position as the first tubular steel track roller coaster in the world. Disneyland may not have anything planned for the half-century "birthday" (as far as we know), but WE will celebrate by remembering and riding and riding and riding. This attraction continues to give it's riders a nice thrill 50 years after it's opening. Of course, a big tip of the hat to those who have kept it well maintained and operating throughout the years. We don't need overpriced purchasing parties to honor this great Disney icon. I pay my respects to Walt every time I ride. Jeez, 50 years old(?), the ol' girl doesn't look a day over 29! Walt would be proud. We are too.
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 07-01-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: clarity

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Ironic, that while Disney keeps asking us "What will you celebrate?" it can't even celebrate the big golden anniversary of a historic and iconic landmark in its park.

What will Disney celebrate? Apparently not its history.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Here's my 2 cents

Thanks for the heads up, wonder why the folks at DL can't take a moment to acknowledge the 50th? maybe because it's on a Sunday?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Queen of Randomness

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to ride it Sunday. Micechat meet can go over for a ride.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Happy Birthday Matterhorn! If only Disney Management was as excited about this as we are!

Matterhorn also has been topped on several New Year's Eve's with the old and new years Lit up in numbers, and as a recent topic pointed out, a Star to celebrate the Christmas holiday season for at least a couple years.

Not only is this the 50th Anniversary of DL history making Matterhorn, it is also a 50th Anniversary of one of DL's BIGGEST Celebrations EVER! The Matterhorn, Monorail and Subs all were officially opened on the same day, AND this particular day was also one of the most memorable Disneyland TV shows EVER! And although the subs were not in operation the entire 50 years, they are still with us. And were one of the Worlds largest fleets of submarines!

And even the monorails have gone thru a few different versions (with the current one still working out some issues) It too is one of the great icons of the entire DL resort! And there is are certainly some interesting tales of opening day, including a story about then Vice President Nixon, who took a trip on the monorail without the secret service aboard.

This is indeed quite a BIG DL celebration and accomplishment, and tribute to the vision of Walt, that these 3 incredible attractions are all still around 50 years later.

And it is very regrettable, and incredibly sad that DL is not and does not deem it relevant to pay tribute to these iconic DL attractions with a Big Celebration! Maybe the Broken Dragon was a sign that DL should be celebrating something else this weekend! DL MANAGEMENT ~ YOU HAVE SOME EXPLAINING TO DO ABOUT IGNORING THIS LANDMARK 50th ANNIVERSARY!

• we jumped out a window

They did release 2 pins recently to commemorate this so it's not like they're unaware of the milestone

Disney should give the Matterhorn the DAY off to rest!!!

Seeing that the Matterhorn is the first tubular roller coaster in the world and every steel coaster built is based on that design, you would think they would celebrate more than with a $8 pin. Matterhorn's just not marketable evidently. Good for OC Register for running this article and thank you from the Matterhorn Crew to you guys for actually caring about this milestone.

Funny, the Monorail Society is going to be there for Monorail but ACE is going to be at Six Flags...

Let's all call the Disney Corp office and sing happy birthday to the Matterhorn =)
    A Very Merry Un-Birthday To You!

• șoșEsteban♂

im really bummed they arent doing anything special......i mean back in 1959 it was the second opening of disneyland
    When stars are born...They possess a gift or two,
    one of those is, they have the power to make a wish come true!

For those who missed it, "The 1313 Club" held a dinner last Saturday Night in Honor of Bob Gurr who designed the three 1959 Attractions, Matterhorn, Monorails, and Subs. It was a wonderful evening with guest speakers and even rare film footage of Disneyland from 1959.

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

Even though "Disney" has not planned an event, so glad to hear The 1313 Club put something together.

aka: Jingles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast