Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Food for thought, do you ever think Disney will make a Gay movie?

Being from Long Beach, aka the "Gaytto" and seen the posts in this forum and others regarding gay days in WDW and DL do you ever think Disney will produce a movie with outwardly gay characters? There has been a definite switch from "white" persons in the early animated movies to persons of "color" in the later flicks...

It seems that with such a pro gay or atleast gay tollerant stance at the parks they should buck up and release something that would support the gay cause.

Thoughts?
    I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Food for thought, do you ever think Disney will make a Gay movie?

Not yet. For gosh sakes, we're only now getting our first African American princess!

One step at a time!

Anti-gay groups are already getting in Disney's face for allowing third-party gay days at the Disney parks: link
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Perhaps. In a galaxy far, far away, many years from now. Disney is not exactly an innovator when it comes to social issues and they seem to be ghastly afraid of offending the far right side of the moral compass.
    Most studios are reluctant to make a 'gay' movie. Look at all the publicity Brokeback Mountain got because of just that issue. Publicity can make or break a film. Major studios don't want to offend because that might cost them revenue. At some point they might, just might, let something be released under another branch but not under the "Walt Disney Studios" tentpole. That's MHO, anyway.

• Minion

Well it depends, are you talking live action or animation?

One might say that The Little Mermaid:Ariel's beginnings, The Reluctant Dragan and Poohs hefalump(sp?) Movie had obviously gay character, but were not high profile animated movies, save for the Reluctant Dragon which is about 40 years old.

Live action is another story, and I can see disney making gay themed movies in that format. take a look at ABC.

Isn't this the wrong sub forum to be posting this question in?

• HauntedOne999

Since Disney is a very "traditional" family oriented company I doubt they will ever produce a children's show or movie with openly gay characters... its the whole reason why they made Touchstone Pictures - to make the more adult oriented films... thats why Who Framed Roger Rabbit was done under it. Granted Disney should be open to everyone but until they rest of the country is 100% gay friendly Disney wont be.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Minion

BTW

I think Disney has made some incredible strides in their filmmaking and television in terms of diversity i.e. First transgender actress, Candis Cayne on network TV, A biracial romance in an animated film (Hunchback of Notre Dame & Pocahontas) etc.It's only a matter of time.

BTW GO LBC

• ...my first visit to DL

While I subscribe to the thought that there is never a better time than now, I don't know that Disney would put a major gay character into one of its productions anytime soon. It is encouraging, however, to know that the Disney Company is very open and welcoming, supports domestic partnerships and doesn't back down because of right-wing threats of boycott. So good for them in that respect.

So if u care to find me, look to the western sky

/\ the replacements is disney and beverly hills chihwawa has a "gay " character pug in a short scene.... so its kinda started to be hinted in there

My whole thought behind the post is if the gays are so pro Disney then why should they go or spend money in the parks if Disney does/will not reciprocate?
    I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

• Banned User

Maybe because I'm Hispanic and I don't expect them to make a Hispanic movie just to please me?

What's with the attitude of "being owed" by people these days? So you're gay, so what? I'm not pro-gay but I'm not anti-gay either. Being a certain "way" doesn't mean that because you spend your money at their parks that they should acknowledge your lifestyle.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    Maybe because I'm Hispanic and I don't expect them to make a Hispanic movie just to please me?

What's with the attitude of "being owed" by people these days? So you're gay, so what? I'm not pro-gay but I'm not anti-gay either. Being a certain "way" doesn't mean that because you spend your money at their parks that they should acknowledge your lifestyle.
    it's not only that we spend out time at the parks, but the fact that they are so open to their employees also, they respect out culture and it is very much accepted! I remember my Ex Disney Animator telling me that the environment at Disney is definately very gay! He remembers being hit on by plenty of his employees(him being straight). And although me myself am gay, I don't see Disney doing a "Gay" film anytime soon. Idk if I myself would accept it. Gotta think about the children first and their initial shock and reaction to this issue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Wait. What characters in Little Mermaid Ariel's Beginning and The Pooh Movie were gay?

• radiantly eccentric

Isn't High school musical kinda gay????
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

I thought Disney already covered the gay characters with Chip and Dale.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast