• Characters are my friends

Re: Most underrated Disney films of all time

Mine include:
    Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Sword in the Stone
    Hercules
    Tarzan
    Brother Bear
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Dream'n w/Blue Sky

Frank and Ollie
    The Muppet movies
    Mulan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Banned User

Treasure Planet, The Emperor's New Groove, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire.

Treasure Planet is still my second favorite traditionally-animated film, behind Lilo and Stitch, because the visuals are incredible and the story relates to me.. I don't think it was given its fair due when it was in theaters and deserves to be rediscovered.

The Emperor's New Groove is just such a goofy, wacky movie, and some of the visuals are pretty amazing. I'm glad to see that this movie has some recognition and has some popularity now.

Atlantis is another movie with lush visuals and a story that really appeals to me. I also adore the animation style used in both Atlantis and Treasure Planet.. almost a graphic novel-comic book feel to it.. it really makes me hope Disney hasn't given up on Sci-Fi yet.

Mulan and Tarzan were both pretty successful during their theatrical run, but they have since been overshadowed despite being great animated films. Brother Bear is also another great film that was overshadowed by other movies.

• Disneyland Connoisseur

Emperor's New Groove is definitely a classic. I remember seeing it in theatres, and then I got it for my birthday when it came out on VHS. I watched it 6 times in a row on a rainy day.

A movie that has interested me is the Black Cauldron. I haven't seen it, but I hear that it is a very underrated movie.

• King of Los Angeles

I'll agree with everyone here that Atlantis and Treasure planet never got the credit they deserved. They were such a departure from what Disney is known for. Loev Newsdies. Dick Tracy was also amazing,and made just over $100 million, but Beatty's copyright legal battles with the Tribune but a halt on it really becominga franchise. The rocketeer is a classic character, but the movie wasn't great. To be honest, the source is pretty similar...great character and bad writing.

I'd add:
    Tron - way ahead of it's time
    The Black Hole - Very misunderstood, but great cult sci-fi

• Banned User

^I agree with TRON. It definitely came before its time and paved the way to modern computerized special effects.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    Charles Laughton version? Can you explain? I'm not familar with this person.
    Laughton played Quasimodo in the 1930's black and white classic. I think it's superbly well done and acted. I also think it's the first film by Maureen ("Miracle on 34th Street") O'Hara. Here's a trailer I found on YouTube, which is unfortunately a little cheezy, but the entire film is also posted there in several parts. However you watch it, I think you'll find the Disney version lifted a lot of inspiration from this movie.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPWj0KfRTtw]YouTube - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) - Theatrical Trailer - © RKO Radio Pictures[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    THE ROCKETEER In my opinion is a classic didn't it win an oscar for effects or something?

DICK TRACY is another awesome film, I don't know why that one didn't make a splash. Too bad to, Disney would have made some incredible theme park rides.
    Love both those movies! I wasn't going to consider these Disney movies because they didn't have Disney characters, but otherwise I agree they deserve much more love…and to be remastered and released on Blu-ray!!!!!! The director of The Rocketeer is apparently directing the new Captain America movie for Marvel. I'm hoping that'll be the window of opportunity that Disney will take advantage of to finally release it on Blu-ray. But I think I'd read that Dick Tracy is mired in legal crap.

• Disneyland Connoisseur

I haven't seen most of these movies in a long time, almost 10 years. I remember seeing Hunchback of Notre Dam, and it was a pretty good movie. I don't know if Tarzan is considered an "underrated" movie, but that move is also fantastic. That movie sparked my interest of Phil Collins music.
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I wouldn't consider The Black Cauldron underrated. It's not very good at all. It has great animation but it meanders and isn't entirely satisfying. Loved the Horned King but he wasn't very well developed either.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KeepnLuciferHuntn View Post
    Frank and Ollie

I remember seeing this in the Disney section of a store and asking for this movie for my birthday. I had no Idea what it was about, I wanted it simply based on the cover art and tagline, which went something like: From the men that brought Disney animation to life. Does anyone still have the case?

Bedknobs and Broomsticks & The AristoCats were enjoyable films too.

• Disneyland Connoisseur

It's amazing to me what movies are now considered "underrated". There are some movies that were well-received when they came out and in following decades, but they are now starting to lose their place on the Disney map. I guess some people are starting to forget about them, and some children aren't exposed to them. Ask a group of 5 year olds about the Aristocats or Lady and the Tramp, and most of them probably wont know what you are talking about.
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

• Fortuosity!

Indeed, "underrated" could mean "underexposed" in many cases.

Tarzan made over $400 million worldwide and has an 87% approval rating on RT, but where is he now? 10 years later he doesn't have any merch at the Disney Store and walk around characters at the park are scarce (and I'm not talking about the main guy who suffered from too much but pinching).

However, I feel my picks and others are definitely examples of underrated and under appreciated films.

At the same time though, I think Hunchback suffers too much from poorly constructed comic relief and a severe inconsistency in tone for it to get an "underrated" note from me, even with it's more than adequate song score. I'll agree with whomever mentioned it that the 1939 version, is a much better movie. But I love The Black Cauldron despite it begin a very poor adaptation of the source material (what Disney film is?) so it goes to show how opinions can differ.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Hunchback is still my favorite Disney animated film. I think its soundtrack does it more than anything else - just perfect.

Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove, Brother Bear, and Treasure Planet are all ones that I agree with as well. Great movies for what they were, and I think they are underappreciated because they did try to do something different.

As far as live action, I do think Bedknobs and Broomsticks and The Happiest Millionaire get overlooked, as does Newsies, which I believe was mentioned above.

My taste is often a little skewed to the "off the beaten path" in certain respects, so it's always refreshing to see other people feel the same way about these films too!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Oliver & Company for sure.

• I live for Indy Rides

The only movie I can think of that I loved and wasn't that well respected was Atlantis. Definately an epic film!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast