Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• I'll pencil this in later

Re: Most underrated Disney films of all time

Hercules... "and that's the gospel truth".
    I am actually watching it right now with 9 year old sister who has never seen it.

Also Hunchback-- like yoyo (I think it was) brought up, the music is simply amazing.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

This got me thinking... what makes a Disney film underrated? Hercules did very well in the box office. It wasn't great but it was decent. It also got its own very fun Victory Parade.

Hercules even became an action figure in Disney Store's recent Adventurers line of figures (along with Peter Pan, Hook, Prince Phillip, etc).

So... is it still underrated? Maybe a little bit. But it was also never split with its audiences... it had its share of critics because it wasn't accurate to the source material, but that comes with ALL disney classics.

Hercules also got its own television series of Young Hercules.

So I don't know if it can be categorized as most underrated by my book. Hades is also a character that's widely enjoyed. It'd be great to see him out and about again.

I listed Hunchback as one of my favorite Disney films and underrated, but there's also a Hunchback themed Festival of Foods restaurant location in Hong Kong Disneyland. And I suppose you can also argue that Hunchback had its own stage show in both coasts when it was released.

So what does that mean? Who knows. I'm just trying to figure out a more concrete way to figure out how a movie is underrated or not.

I never thought of Oliver & Company as underrated because I was never impressed with anything about it. It's cute, has fairly decent characters here and there, but it never connected with me. Great Mouse Detective on the other hand is pretty good and mostly absent from ANY disney show, attraction, parade, merchandise, etc etc.

Final note: both Hades and Judge Claude Frollo are featured in Disney World's Fantasmic! currently so... that's food for thought.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• secure all cargo

The Rescuers Down Under. I don't know if it's underrated as it did pretty well with the critics at the time, but certainly it's unappreciated. It has my favorite animated sequence - Cody and Marahute's flight - and Bernard's character arc is a lot of fun.

And I definitely agree that Treasure Planet is completely underrated. It's poor box office performance and Eisner's scapegoating as the film that brought down traditional hand-drawn "2D" films are no reflection of how well it actually worked (at least I thought it worked). I had problems with a couple elements, but overall felt it did a great job with the relationship between John Silver and Jim Hawkins, and that gave it a lot of heart.

• Disneyland Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    And I definitely agree that Treasure Planet is completely underrated. It's poor box office performance and Eisner's scapegoating as the film that brought down traditional hand-drawn "2D" films are no reflection of how well it actually worked (at least I thought it worked). I had problems with a couple elements, but overall felt it did a great job with the relationship between John Silver and Jim Hawkins, and that gave it a lot of heart.
    I adore Treasure Planet, as I have pointed out in most of my posts. However, I don't think that they blended the CGI and the traditional animation very well. Tarzan did a great job of that, but the effect in Treasure Planet just wasn't pulled off very well. The soundtrack was awesome though, I love Jim's Theme by the lead singer of the Goo Goo Dolls. I bet if the movie was touched up a little and re-released, it would probably do excellent. However, I'm not sure if young children can still be captivated by traditional animation. CGI may have taken over. I guess we'll see when Princess and the Frog comes out later this year.
    4th Trip To Disneyland: June 28th-June 30th!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I loved Hercules but I always thought it was well received so I didn't consider it underrated.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I'm glad so many people agree that Treasure Planet doesn't get the credit it deserves. I was bored one day, and it aired on the Disney Channel so I watched it and instantly fell in love.

And, I'm happy to see The Great Mouse Detective pop up a couple times. This was the first movie that came to my mind when I saw this thread. I count it as one of my favorite Disney movies. It's a shame it doesn't have a bigger name to it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    what makes a Disney film underrated? Hercules did very well in the box office. It wasn't great but it was decent. out and about again.
    well the test of a good movie is not in the box office results, it's if it stands the test of time. I think the word underrated applies to the films that were incredibly well made but have yet to recive due credit, Sleeping Beauty is an example of this. For years it was ignored, but as of late, everyone seems to notice what a beautyful film it is.

and "by as of late" I mean after the first DVD release came out.
    Last edited by Sir.Mouse; 06-13-2009 at 10:14 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Man, so many of these movies remind me of my childhood. A lot of the ones already listed here I either love, or never had interest in seeing so I never did. I remember years ago when Treasure Planet came out and they had meet and greets with the characters in Tomorrowland.
    I think one of the reasons so many of these movies are under-rated is because they were never received well. If you think about many of the more popular films, they were not coined by Disney, but were fables or fairy tales from years gone by, they were familiar to several generations.
    My favorite under-rated movie is Newsies.....LOVE IT!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Animation Domination

-The Three Caballeros
    -Saludos Amigos
    -Fun And Fancy Free
    -The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad
    -The Great Mouse Detective
    -The Fox And The Hound
    Last edited by MickeyMousePal; 06-14-2009 at 12:07 AM.
    "You are watching FOX"

• MiceChat Moderator

On the subject of Treasure Planet, maybe it can be underrated. I think it's only so-so. I really disliked the aliens and their design and well... the whole cat captain and dog doctor.... it just annoys me that they couldn't be more creative.

I love the score, the relationship between Silver and Hawkins, but everything else didn't feel natural. It felt forced.

When you watch Little Mermaid and Aladdin, it doesn't matter what story was changed, it feels right. Treasure Planet as a whole just... didn't do it. It certainly holds up well in entertainment value (unlike Titan A.E. which looks horrible now) and production value, but the reason why it didn't succeed was the intent. They wanted to take it into space and it just wasn't a very good idea.

• Minion

I agree with Coheteboy, I just thought the premise of a hi-tech/low-tech world to be a bit contrived. It was as if disney was trying to hard to be cool.

• Mouseketeer

The Black Hole. I just saw it yesterday for the first time and I really liked it.

The Fox and the Hound. When Widow Tweed is giving up Todd, I still get choked up every time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

When you watch Little Mermaid and Aladdin, it doesn't matter what story was changed, it feels right. Treasure Planet as a whole just... didn't do it. It certainly holds up well in entertainment value (unlike Titan A.E. which looks horrible now) and production value, but the reason why it didn't succeed was the intent. They wanted to take it into space and it just wasn't a very good idea.
    Which is interesting, because I feel it works very well in space. I agree there are certain aspects that seem contrived and poorly planned ( I actually hate Doctor Doppler) but the emotional attachment to the characters is what makes it such a wonderful movie to me.

I feel more of an attachment to Jim and Silver than I do for Hercules for example, which is why I feel it's a better movie.

Again though, it's only my opinion and can completely understand the other point of view as well. It's why I don't mention Hunchback is my favorite animated movie anymore, and why I really don't like the Lion King, because most people just don't understand. It's refreshing to have people understand where we're coming from!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Which is interesting, because I feel it works very well in space. I agree there are certain aspects that seem contrived and poorly planned ( I actually hate Doctor Doppler) but the emotional attachment to the characters is what makes it such a wonderful movie to me.

I feel more of an attachment to Jim and Silver than I do for Hercules for example, which is why I feel it's a better movie.

Again though, it's only my opinion and can completely understand the other point of view as well. It's why I don't mention Hunchback is my favorite animated movie anymore, and why I really don't like the Lion King, because most people just don't understand. It's refreshing to have people understand where we're coming from!

All this talk will definitely force me to revisit Treasure Planet. (in my youth, my summer ritual was to watch every Disney animated movie in chronological order... but that was when I actually had nothing to do all summer and didn't have a real job). I still think that the aliens are the worst aspect of the movie (flatulence guy?).

And the fact that the ships all resemble normal ocean vessels really says it all. It wasn't a full or proper execution. I'd LOVE to see a real animated Treasure Island done the Disney way.

but wait... YOU DON'T LIKE THE LION KING??? Explain yourself!

• Fortuosity!

All this talk will definitely force me to revisit Treasure Planet. (in my youth, my summer ritual was to watch every Disney animated movie in chronological order... but that was when I actually had nothing to do all summer and didn't have a real job). I still think that the aliens are the worst aspect of the movie (flatulence guy?).

And the fact that the ships all resemble normal ocean vessels really says it all. It wasn't a full or proper execution. I'd LOVE to see a real animated Treasure Island done the Disney way.

but wait... YOU DON'T LIKE THE LION KING??? Explain yourself!
    Not a fan of the 70/30 rule, huh? At least it was something different from typical sci-fi fare where is hard to be original. Doing Treasure Island in space was something Ron/John always wanted to do and I feel bad that their dream film was so poorly advertised (did you know it was in IMAX?) but at the same time glad to see how quickly it has developed a strong following.

And I don't care for Lion King either, not as a kid, not now. I was never dazzled by the song score, never felt the movie was terribly funny or found the characters likable. The broaway show at least had some imaginative staging and flaboyance which combined with the energy of a live preformance made it somewhat enjoyable.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast