• I'm not really here

Disney going against Net Neutrality with ESPN?

Slashdot Technology Story | Disney Strikes Against Net Neutrality

This upsets me... this could lead to Disney doing this across all their brands and products. I seriously hope they do not. This is bad bad bad news. Net Neutrality is probably one of the more important issues right now. Especially with companies seeking to choke access to smaller companies websites because they can't pay premium fees to be accessed by everyone, or this new one from ESPN, charging ISPs directly which gets passed to us as higher costs for internet.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Disney going against Net Neutrality with ESPN?

I agree with you completely about net neutrality. This is disturbing, but not really surprising. It isn't much different than forcing me to pay for ESPN as part of my cable package even though I don't want it and don't use it. Anyway to gouge an extra buck or two out of the customer...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    I agree with you completely about net neutrality. This is disturbing, but not really surprising. It isn't much different than forcing me to pay for ESPN as part of my cable package even though I don't want it and don't use it. Anyway to gouge an extra buck or two out of the customer...
    Actually it is the exact opposite of forcing you to pay for ESPN as part of your cable package.

One day, you'll get all your content through the internet, and you will pay only for what you want to see. You won't pay for ESPN, though others who want to see it will pay for it.
    (Yes, you will have to pay for internet access to ABC Family and Disney Channel, but then, you should.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Well, not exactly opposite. If the ISP doesn't subscribe to the package, their customers can't access the websites. That means in order to keep the customers, the ISP subscribes to the total package and passes the cost on to the consumer.

If it were a matter of just subscribing individually, I'd be all for that, just as I'm all for a la carte cable service.

Perhaps I read it wrong...

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Actually it is the exact opposite of forcing you to pay for ESPN as part of your cable package.
    Actually, this is making the customer pay twice for ESPN. You'll be paying the subscription fee for your cable provider. And now that the cable provider has to pay Disney in order to show ESPN on their network, they will take that cost and pass it on to all their customers by raising rates. So the customers will be footing 2 bills in order to have ESPN, even those who never watch it.

It's a way for Disney to make another buck off of the individual consumers. What is happening in the music industry is already starting to happen in the music and tv industries and if they don't learn their lesson from the record labels, the same thing will happen to the production studios as well. It's inevitable. Times are changing and new technology is being adopted by the consumer. If a content provider doesn't adapt and change as well, they will fall by the wayside and disappear forever as a footnote. ABC did this brilliantly when they began offering their shows for viewing online, ESPN is going the opposite direction, backwards rather than forwards.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter