View Poll Results: Star Wars vs Star Trek - Which One Is Better?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars! Don't Mess With The Force!!

16 48.48%
  • Star Trek! Beam Me Up!!! Spock, Klingons, & The Borg All The Way!!

4 12.12%
  • 50/50 - I'm Split, They Both Have Their Goods/Bads

12 36.36%
  • Neither - I Don't Like Sci-Fi

0 0%
  • Other - See Below

1 3.03%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The Great Galactic Battle - Star Wars vs Star Trek - Which is Better?

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    I'm sorry but this part I would have to disagree with. I have found WAY more stuff from SW than Star Trek. At least when it comes to toys anyways.

Granted, Star Trek started with a TV series, spawned first a 6 part movie franchise, then 3 new TV series (only one of them did well enough to get it's own movie series as well). Where SW never had much of a television series. I do remember long before the prequel trilogy ever came out or was a concept, there was a short lived animated series based on the SW droids starring C3PO and R2-D2. I think this came out when Star Tours opened, and garnered popularity for the SW droids. Let's face it, with the original trilogy done and gone, and the prequel trilogy not even a thought yet, it was the ride that sparked interest in SW again. And it wasn't until the recent Clone Wars series till they got another one, more than 20 years later.

Let's not forget there was a certain ride based on Star Wars that has been around for quite some time. Yeah, there was one in Vegas for Star Trek, but it never quite matched up, and in fact, is no longer there. It closed sometime last year.

But when it comes to toys, I never saw any until now. Granted, you will probably find more Trek toys then SW, especially with the new movie. But there have always been SW toys for a long time, with the first trilogy (and I should know, I had a lot of them as a kid and still to this day) and then they released more with the prequel trilogy. And go to any toy collectors store in a local mall, and you'll more than likely find more SW toys, than Trek.

There's also been more video games for Star Wars then Star Trek. Have you ever gone to an arcade whether it be Disneyland/Disneyworld or anywhere and seen a Star Trek game before? Yeah, only one in the entire history of Star Trek. A first person shooter game based on ST Voyager. But there have been more Star Wars games, for both arcades and home entertainment systems. You can go to Disneyland's Starcade and see the Star Wars Trilogy game still there, and you'll find that particular one anywhere you go. Don't forget the original 2D Star Wars arcade game based on the attack of the Death Star run from Episode 4. There have been a few SW games released for home game consoles and PC games within the last ten+ years. Nintendo released SW Shadow of the Empire & Star Wars Rogue Squadron for it's N64 system, and then released Rogue Squadrons 2 & 3 for their Gamecube system. (On the 3rd one, with 3 codes, you can actually get the original arcade versions for all 3 movies of the original trilogy!) I have never seen any Star Trek games released for any systems in the past. (There might be now with the new movie, but I'm not sure.) But I think one reason for this, is because of the main difference between Trek and Star Wars. Star Trek, in the name itself, means voyage. The concept of that show was about space exploration, seeking life on other planets. Putting that into a concept for a video game, you pretty much have a game where you're flying a ship. (At this point, vision trying to fly the Enterprise versus flying the Millenium Falcon or X-Wing for a flying game.) If you want a first person shooter game, then you need more storyline (such as the ST Voyager arcade game where you're fighting the Borg.) Where with Star Wars, it wasn't about space exploration. We all know the story with this franchise. But you're not just flying ships in space, but also vehicles on planets, and it was very easy to make them into first person shooter games, where your character can run on foot, whether shooting a gun or waving a lightsaber.

But putting toys & games aside, they have been equal when it comes to stories outside of the movies and TV. For years, I have seen a number of novels based on both franchises. I say based on both franchises, because they're not coming from the franchise, or their creators, themselves. For Trek, there were 3 trilogies by William Shatner released since around the time the ST Generations movie came out. And many by another female author by the name of Judith Reeves Stevens. As for SW, I have seen many over the years, with various names of authors.
    All this is true, but I was only referring to the number of movies/shows that each have. This thread is about my opinion of which is better, and for me, toys, games, and books don't really factor into which I like as I don't read books or collect much for either(I only own a few Star Trek related things. XD) and rarely play computer games.
    You do make a valid point though, and someone who reads a lot of books from either or plays lots of the games would certainly have their opinion affected.
    Or someone who liked to have the ability to collect things. Yes I believe there are pack rats out there who would base their opinion on which has more merchandise.
    Last edited by SnowWhite1937; 06-22-2009 at 12:25 PM.

"Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?"
    "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
    "I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing basically."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I'm a fan of Star Wars. Even if the prequels sucked, the first three are amazing and there are parts in the prequels that are great. Like Amidala dying of a "broken heart" and Ewan MacGregor (that man is awesome). And there's always the promise that of awesomeness with Star Wars.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

You may as well ask me which of my children I like better. Glad to see the shout out for Babylon 5, too.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• mountains beyond mtns.

XY chromosomed parent of Aidan, just to be fair, you did place this poll in the Movies section and so it's only natural that most people would only consider films and television shows and not books, comics, toys, video games, collectibles, etc.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    XY chromosomed parent of Aidan, just to be fair, you did place this poll in the Movies section and so it's only natural that most people would only consider films and television shows and not books, comics, toys, video games, collectibles, etc.

Is there a smiley for doh? <smacks forehead>

As I look back, I suppose I could've, or....should've, placed this thread in the entertainment lounge so it covers all spectrums.

• mountains beyond mtns.

No worries!

I like the fact that Star Wars is totally thrashing Star Trek

• Minion

i voted 50/50 you see im sure others are like me.. i come from a school thats says its ok to like both star wars and star trek.. but you must have an affiliation for 1 or the other.so judgeing by my icon you can figure out what one i think is better

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

For me, the produce of Star Trek and it's multiple applications and storylines shows a more durable product. Star Wars has been one story so far that we already knew with the first trilogy. Then, Lucas had to pull it all back out again. I felt this was unneeded.

Wereas Star Trek continues to try different routes.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    For me, the produce of Star Trek and it's multiple applications and storylines shows a more durable product. Star Wars has been one story so far that we already knew with the first trilogy. Then, Lucas had to pull it all back out again. I felt this was unneeded.

Peace,
    Roo

Naturally. Lucas created SW with the good vs evil concept. The rebels versus the mighty evil empire, battling oppression and overcoming adversity. That old chestnut.

While, as I mentioned a few posts earlier, Trek was about space exploration, discovering new worlds, and therefore, more and more storylines. It wasn't until TNG that any of the Trek universe (meaning the fans) knew anything about the borg. Like Alfre Woodard said in ST First Contact, they sound swedish.

At least with the animated SW clone wars, they have a concept that they can take in different directions, and add some different, and sometimes personal, pieces of storyline.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Naturally. Lucas created SW with the good vs evil concept. The rebels versus the mighty evil empire, battling oppression and overcoming adversity. That old chestnut.

While, as I mentioned a few posts earlier, Trek was about space exploration, discovering new worlds, and therefore, more and more storylines. It wasn't until TNG that any of the Trek universe (meaning the fans) knew anything about the borg. Like Alfre Woodard said in ST First Contact, they sound swedish.

At least with the animated SW clone wars, they have a concept that they can take in different directions, and add some different, and sometimes personal, pieces of storyline.
    All very true.

Star Wars also plays on fantasy more then science fiction and futurism. Fantasy tends to rely on complete whole worlds that are the sole province of their creator and the audience may indulge in them, but might not be able to fully understand.

Science fiction, on the other hand, deals with a hint of possibility in this reality ('hint' being the operative word)--giving the parameters of their stories a different feel...

...a feel that I prefer.

I could not help thinking that I was some how paying for his kids' college funds when watching the Star Wars more recent trilogy. Here's in interesting tidbit...I like SW Clone Wars more then the recent flix! The novelty was blissfully restored (even if it is not as fully realized), but still, it almost feels like an afterthought, like a response to such criticisms such as my own.

And with that, I vote for Star Trek. Grant you, I'm coming up against 2 huge religions here, but hey, is that not the purpose of this discussion?

May the Force Live Long and Prosper.

So thanks for the elaboration.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    i voted 50/50 you see im sure others are like me.. i come from a school thats says its ok to like both star wars and star trek.. but you must have an affiliation for 1 or the other.so judgeing by my icon you can figure out what one i think is better
    Say, did you get your name from Nomi Sunrider from the Tales of the Jedi comics?

• Not here to help

Everybody knows that Star Wars is the beast. Star Wars beats any movie series.
    Its also alot more well known.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    Say, did you get your name from Nomi Sunrider from the Tales of the Jedi comics?
    very good as a matter of fact i did.... infact ithink instead of the whole clonewars thing they should have done an old republic series

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post

Peace,
    Roo

star trek .the film series hmmm..im not sure about the durabilty of it..let me see

star trek the motion picture..im sure it has its following but didnt hold the intrest of alot of people

star trek 2,3 & 4 (no beeing marketed as the kirk /spock trilogy

they were good untill the time travel thing came into play

the rest of them with the original cast were weak cranked out like a factory product
    generations (so much wrong with this one)

lets see there was the flimsy nexus idea to bring kirk into a next gen story
    whoopie goldburg was a plot device.

and even the final conflict with kirk dyeing was almost to comical
    with jean luc s ` thats captain kirk dont you read history books..line
    the next gen movies were like 2 hour episodes

star wasr on the other hand for years wowd audiences with just 3 movies
    the speciel editions were ok(yes even we fall to crappy marketing tools no matter what franchise you love) and i will agree that star was ep 1 was weak
    the second got better and the third was on par with the first 3

and even the new star trek gives a wink to star wars..so proveing my point in my mind star wars is the better of the to even though this debate will go on long afterwe are all dead and gone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12