View Poll Results: Star Wars vs Star Trek - Which One Is Better?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars! Don't Mess With The Force!!

16 48.48%
  • Star Trek! Beam Me Up!!! Spock, Klingons, & The Borg All The Way!!

4 12.12%
  • 50/50 - I'm Split, They Both Have Their Goods/Bads

12 36.36%
  • Neither - I Don't Like Sci-Fi

0 0%
  • Other - See Below

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

The Great Galactic Battle - Star Wars vs Star Trek - Which is Better?

In Re to the recent Miceage round up:

Micechat's Resident Pollmaster, eh?

I might just take you up on that one.

First there was dc comics vs marvel comics.

Then there was Harry Potter vs Twilight.

So here goes another one........

Took me a moment to decide which one to go with and then I came up with the perfect one.

I did a search for a thread on this, but only found the one that flynn did about a youtube video. But I'm taking this in a different direction.

So this time it's a battle, a space battle that is. Light speed vs warp speed. Lightsabers vs phasers. Millenium Falcon vs The Enterprise. The Death Star vs Deep Space Nine. (longshot?) And the force vs that vulcan thing that Spock does. (No, not the neckpinch.)

So anyways, place your votes and let your voices be heard.

Live long and prosper, and may the force be with you.
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 06-18-2009 at 10:41 PM.

• Infinitized!

Re: The Great Galactic Battle - Star Wars vs Star Trek - Which is Better?

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Live long and prosper, and may the force be with you.
    And you forgot, "May the Schwartz be with you!" I voted 50/50.

• Minion

Heh heh

I did one with a different theme that can be found in the music area as well.

• Shablagoo!

Yawn.

• Iron-Clad Allie

StarTrek

The franchise keeps getting better. It's plots, storylines, deminsion, acting, and effects are all superior to that of StarWars...as much as I loved the first trilogy, and liked the second (prequels).
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Well if you're judging this all on pre new Star Trek it would be Star Wars all the way but I when I was exiting the theater after seeing the new Star Trek all I kept saying to myself was "Damn You George Lucas. This is what the prequels should of been like!!" I'm still a Star Wars freak but if Star Trek comes out with a few more movies like the new one, I may just have to switch sides.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• mountains beyond mtns.

If I didn't vote for Star Wars, all of my collectibles would've suddenly avalanched upon me.

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with PirateMunkee.

If we are just judging on the first three Star Wars movies then it would win in a landslide. The prequels kind of take some points away from Star Wars.

There are a few good Star Trek movies with the original cast (III, IV, VI) and I enjoyed a couple of TNG movies (First Contact, Nemesis). And of course the new movie was absolutely amazing.

If Star Trek keeps it going like this then it may indeed pass Star Wars for overall quality. But NOTHING will ever take the place of the original Star Wars trilogy.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    If I didn't vote for Star Wars, all of my collectibles would've suddenly avalanched upon me.

• Just this guy......

I like both Star Trek and Star Wars but when it comes to a fight, Star Wars ships are bigger and more powerful. Can you say Death Star?

• Senior Minion

Truthfully, they're apples and oranges, both in scope and in concept. Much of the grander themes of Star Trek are about youth, abandonment, and redemption; and Lucas mined a lot of old myths and brought them into the future with the intention of making a story which would resonate again with the movie going public.

The Star Trek series, on the other hand, have no such deep overbearing psychosis, although they try. The overranging model of the "Conestoga in the starts", coupled with the overall vision of a future that is positive where we can realize our dreams is a completely different animal.

And besides, Babylon 5 beats them both by parsecs. Just ask Kosh.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Forget everything everyone else has said in this thread. The only question I want answered is this:

Can a lightsaber cut through adamantium?

• Disneyland PAP

I saw this thread posted yesterday, but waited to vote for Star Trek tonight, just to see how far Trek might get into the running a day later. I'm vote #2! But I was a Trek fan before I was a Star Wars fan, so I'm weighing 79 classic Trek episodes, a season of animated Trek, 11 movies, and four spinoffs against six SW films, an Ewok TV movie or two, and some Clone Wars cartoons. Not to say everything Trek was fantastic, but the sum of the parts are greater entertainment for me from Trek than Wars. I sort of agree with Wotan's "apples and oranges" argument and as a Trek fan, I enjoy seeing the comments by PirateMunkee and sir clinksalot. But I couldn't vote 50/50, especially when including the SW prequels.

Star Trek all the way. I like Star Trek better in all respects. That's not to say I don't like Star Wars, I just like Star Trek waaaay more.
    Allow me to take a moment and compare them.

Music: Both have amazing scores, but Star Trek has way more music, which is probably what gives it the final edge. But also I can just sit and listen to trek music, I don't do that with most SW music.

Characters/actors: I like all the characters from trek(original) better than the SW characters, really. Actor wise I like some of the actors for trek better, but Harrison Ford gives SW a real boost in this category I'll admit.

Franchise: There is way more trek stuff than there is SW stuff, which is a real plus. I like stuff to have lots of story and there are just more trek stories.

Creators: I have to bring this up. Gene Roddenberry seems like he was way nicer than George Lucas is. Lucas really seems...just stuck on himself and really controlling and egotistical. I just don't like Lucas that much. So yeah, this category is more dominated by my dislike for Lucas than my liking for Roddenberry.

Anyway, yeah. I'm definitely going with Star Trek.

"Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?"
    "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
    "I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing basically."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite1937 View Post

Franchise: There is way more trek stuff than there is SW stuff, which is a real plus. I like stuff to have lots of story and there are just more trek stories.
    I'm sorry but this part I would have to disagree with. I have found WAY more stuff from SW than Star Trek. At least when it comes to toys anyways.

Granted, Star Trek started with a TV series, spawned first a 6 part movie franchise, then 3 new TV series (only one of them did well enough to get it's own movie series as well). Where SW never had much of a television series. I do remember long before the prequel trilogy ever came out or was a concept, there was a short lived animated series based on the SW droids starring C3PO and R2-D2. I think this came out when Star Tours opened, and garnered popularity for the SW droids. Let's face it, with the original trilogy done and gone, and the prequel trilogy not even a thought yet, it was the ride that sparked interest in SW again. And it wasn't until the recent Clone Wars series till they got another one, more than 20 years later.

Let's not forget there was a certain ride based on Star Wars that has been around for quite some time. Yeah, there was one in Vegas for Star Trek, but it never quite matched up, and in fact, is no longer there. It closed sometime last year.

But when it comes to toys, I never saw any until now. Granted, you will probably find more Trek toys then SW, especially with the new movie. But there have always been SW toys for a long time, with the first trilogy (and I should know, I had a lot of them as a kid and still to this day) and then they released more with the prequel trilogy. And go to any toy collectors store in a local mall, and you'll more than likely find more SW toys, than Trek.

There's also been more video games for Star Wars then Star Trek. Have you ever gone to an arcade whether it be Disneyland/Disneyworld or anywhere and seen a Star Trek game before? Yeah, only one in the entire history of Star Trek. A first person shooter game based on ST Voyager. But there have been more Star Wars games, for both arcades and home entertainment systems. You can go to Disneyland's Starcade and see the Star Wars Trilogy game still there, and you'll find that particular one anywhere you go. Don't forget the original 2D Star Wars arcade game based on the attack of the Death Star run from Episode 4. There have been a few SW games released for home game consoles and PC games within the last ten+ years. Nintendo released SW Shadow of the Empire & Star Wars Rogue Squadron for it's N64 system, and then released Rogue Squadrons 2 & 3 for their Gamecube system. (On the 3rd one, with 3 codes, you can actually get the original arcade versions for all 3 movies of the original trilogy!) I have never seen any Star Trek games released for any systems in the past. (There might be now with the new movie, but I'm not sure.) But I think one reason for this, is because of the main difference between Trek and Star Wars. Star Trek, in the name itself, means voyage. The concept of that show was about space exploration, seeking life on other planets. Putting that into a concept for a video game, you pretty much have a game where you're flying a ship. (At this point, vision trying to fly the Enterprise versus flying the Millenium Falcon or X-Wing for a flying game.) If you want a first person shooter game, then you need more storyline (such as the ST Voyager arcade game where you're fighting the Borg.) Where with Star Wars, it wasn't about space exploration. We all know the story with this franchise. But you're not just flying ships in space, but also vehicles on planets, and it was very easy to make them into first person shooter games, where your character can run on foot, whether shooting a gun or waving a lightsaber.

But putting toys & games aside, they have been equal when it comes to stories outside of the movies and TV. For years, I have seen a number of novels based on both franchises. I say based on both franchises, because they're not coming from the franchise, or their creators, themselves. For Trek, there were 3 trilogies by William Shatner released since around the time the ST Generations movie came out. And many by another female author by the name of Judith Reeves Stevens. As for SW, I have seen many over the years, with various names of authors.
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 06-22-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast