• Iron-Clad Allie

Are Some Top Disney Corprate Execs Creative...In the Business Sense?

As with all skills and talents, I believe business decision making can be a creative art form...especially in the worlds of finance and policy. Taking in to the top business decision makers throughout the Walt Disney Company's history, who comes to mind as the most creative in your mind. If more than one person, how would you rank them.

Here are my choices, and rankings...

1. Roy O. Disney
    2. Card Walker
    3. Frank Wells
    4. Matt Ouimet
    5. Michael Eisner
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: Are Some Top Disney Corprate Execs Creative...In the Business Sense?

Roy Disney
    Matt Ouimet
    Frank Wells
    Card Walker
    Michael Eisner

Roy Disney for obvious reasons. He worried about the budget, but ultimately had faith in his brother. Matt gets the second spot because he seemed to be the closest to Roy in that he understood sometimes you just need to say "Screw the budget!" Frank Wells similarly, but not to the same extent as Matt.

Some people may be surprised to see Card so far down on the list, but his role was mainly as a peacemaker between the creative and financial sides of the company during those turbulent 70's.

Michael Eisner was, well, Michael Eisner. His strength seems to be turning around struggling companies, not managing healthy ones. He stayed way too long.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Roy Disney
    Matt Ouimet
    Frank Wells
    Card Walker
    Michael Eisner

Roy Disney for obvious reasons. He worried about the budget, but ultimately had faith in his brother. Matt gets the second spot because he seemed to be the closest to Roy in that he understood sometimes you just need to say "Screw the budget!" Frank Wells similarly, but not to the same extent as Matt.

Some people may be surprised to see Card so far down on the list, but his role was mainly as a peacemaker between the creative and financial sides of the company during those turbulent 70's.

Michael Eisner was, well, Michael Eisner. His strength seems to be turning around struggling companies, not managing healthy ones. He stayed way too long.
    Excellent list...and rationale. You and I, BG, agree wholeheartedly that Roy was a critical financial creative force to the founding of the company...as well as the springboarding of it's expansion. I figure that Card Walker was instrumental to making financial/policy decisions intregal to the development of WDW and Tokyo Disneyland. Matt Oimet and Frank Wells were niether one ruled by budgeting methodology.

Although I have zero repect for Eisner, it has to be acknoledged that he turned the company around by creatively placing archived films on DVDs, introducing and building up Disney Store and online merchandising, creating the FastPass system, and he's responsible for many other brilliant endeavors.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-02-2009 at 09:52 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

FastPass is something he can be blamed for, not credited with.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    That would depend on one's point of view.

Myself, I count FASTPASS as a blessing, not a curse.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post

I believe almost everyone would agree with you, sediment, that the downside to Fastpass is comparably equal to the beneficial side.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by The Disneylander View Post
    That would depend on one's point of view.

Myself, I count FASTPASS as a blessing, not a curse.
    The positive side is that it saves wait time for a favorite attraction, provided one is willing to go do something else first (afteter getting a Fastpass.

The downside is, that a considerable amount of disney park regulars (non-local AP'ers, AP locals and local non-AP'ers) know how to manipulate the system to practically walk onto rides all day long, without ever waiting...routinely increasing the wait time of everyone that doesn't abuse the system.

Like you though, I normally enjoy using Fastpass when I'm at Disneyland/DCA.

Regardless of the down and upsides of fastpass, I feel most people would not dispute the contention that Eisner was a creative force in matters of buisiness. I admire a side of him that was energeti genious, but detested him for being out of touch with guest desires for quality films, and for theme park attractions over merchandising.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-02-2009 at 10:10 AM.

• I read the news today...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The downside is, that a considerable amount of disney park regulars (non-local AP'ers, AP locals and local non-AP'ers) know how to manipulate the system to practically walk onto rides all day long, without ever waiting...routinely increasing the wait time of everyone that doesn't abuse the system.
    Excuse my absent-mindedness, but how are the AP'ers able to manipulate the FastPass system?
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by rajbonham View Post
    Excuse my absent-mindedness, but how are the AP'ers able to manipulate the FastPass system?
    This is going to get hijacked into another FastPass thread, isn't it?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by rajbonham View Post
    MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...

As outlined in Kevin Lees article here, there are many ways to cheat with Fastpass. It is easy to see that most local and non-local AP'ers as well as local non-local regulars would be aware of how to cheat with fastPass and use it to take advantage of general guests.

Foul Fellows
    Where do you fall in the spectrum of rules-following "sheep" to anarchy-embracing rabble when you visit the Disney parks?
    I don't know about you, but I've been witness to line jumpers before. There are those who blatantly push their way ahead of you, with nary a word of explanation (and no, these are not always teenagers). I've seen a variant with small kids pushing their way to the front claiming "my mom is in line ahead of us", only to see them finally rebuffed by a visitor with an eye for fairness, though the line jumpers are content to have skipped 90% of the line by that point. It boils my blood, personally. Whatever happened to the policy that "line jumping is subject to removal from the park"?

Longtime readers know where I'm going with this: line jumping gained legitimacy with FastPass, and people started to accept the concept, if not the outright abuse of the idea. The appropriate use of FastPass is not "illegal" at all (though I retain the right to have problems with the concept), yet I would maintain that the very existence of the system invites cheaters.

You've got the low-level cheaters who obtained FastPasses from a previous visit and never used them, and on their next visit try to bring these back out. I don't know about how it works in Anaheim any more, but out here in Orlando, they recently introduced a change to the FastPass printing to short-circuit this kind of cheating. The largest, boldest typefast on the printed FP ticket now says the day of the week and the date, making it harder to use last month's FP on today's visit. Good for them. (But bad for the system inviting such abuse in the first place).

Sliding up the scale ever so slightly, you've got the "FastPass Two-Step," a full exploitation of the child-switch coupon. (I guess it's the same "cheat" for the non-FastPass version of childswitch). To do this, first everyone gets a FastPass. Then, at the appropriate time, everyone gets in the return line. If you've got a small child with you, too small to ride this roller-coaster, you get a child-switch card. Sometimes they confiscate all the FPs as they give you this card, in which case there is less cheating of the system. But often, they allow the person(s) waiting with the child to keep his/her/their FastPass(es), and then also hold a child switch card. Now, the child-switch card is a FP for up to three people, the idea being that when the first parent comes back, the second parent can jump straight into the FP line. But the three-person limit creates a loophole. Do you have an older, tall-enough-to-ride child? If so, he can ride a second time, for "free." And if you managed to keep those original FastPasses without confiscation, you use those FPs for free, for a third time for that privileged older child. Or, if you're so inclined, you can try for the child-switch-two-step dance a second time, really enhancing your ability to line-jump.

Moving toward the truly disingenuous, we've got the "FastPass Switcheroo." To do this, simply get your FastPass like normal for Splash Mountain. You notice that the return time is two hours away, in the afternoon. Wait two hours, then return here and get another set of FP tickets, this time for later in the evening. But at this moment, your first set of FP tickets are active. Use them to get by the FP guard at the front, but when prompted to turn in your tickets at the front of the FP line, hand over the ones for this evening instead. 99.9% of the time, they do not look at these tickets whatsoever in this point in the line; they just add them to the pile in their hand and impatiently gesture you forward. All the examining of the tickets takes place at the start of the line, not the end. Voila, you've cheated the system. After this ride, you can get off and immediately ride again, since you've held on to the afternoon FPs and can use them in the normal fashion now.

None of this even touches on outright dishonesty and abuse of the FastPass system. In the old days, you could locate the "master" FastPass dispenser and hold in the unlabeled button in the back, which generated a free FP regardless of the ticket (or lack of ticket) in the front of the machine. These days, you need to turn a key to enable the free FP ticket, though sometimes I've seen the key stuck in the back of the machine, unguarded, while the Cast Member is otherwise engaged. I could imagine a "divide and conquer" mentality taking hold to distract the CM.

It would take less work, though, to just lie. Quickly obtain two FP tickets and hide them, then cycle through the other three admission passes (or annual passes) in your possession, getting FPs like normal. Then return to those first two you used, and naturally, what gets spit out are "not a valid FP" tickets. Cry foul to the CM, who may take the time to ask you to cycle through all five of your park admission tickets, but is more likely to just use the override key and give you what you want. Even if they put you through the paces, a little insistence on your end is all it takes for them to "cave" and provide you with the extra tickets.

It strikes me that so many of the ways to cheat at the parks revolve around FastPass. Frankly, I'm not a fan of the entire system, and my explanations of how to cheat the system are not provided in the hopes that you readers will go out and be dishonest, but rather that the powers that be at Disney will recognize the shortfalls of the current practice. I'm not sure how Disney is supposed to fix some of them, though. The harried CM issuing FPs encounters dozens of clueless tourists every hour, and most of them are truly confused, not trying to game the system, so it's unlikely they can adjust the "trust quotient" needed by this CM. It simply opens up an avenue for cheaters, and provides yet another reason why FP as a whole is an inequitable and unsustainable system.

Still, FastPass has brought much of the spontineity back to the park from days gone by when there were far less crowds. In spite of it's downside, One would be hard pressed to argue against Michael Eisner for having pushed to install it. Again, I do not like Eisner...but he was a creative manager.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    This is going to get hijacked into another FastPass thread, isn't it?
    Nope. I have cited a Kevin lee article in order to support my point. Mind you, we wouldn't be discussing it at all had Eisner decided against promoting FastPass in the parks.