• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Dressing A Galaxy: The Costumes of STAR WARS

A collection of more than 100 costumes, accessories, and props from all six films of the Star Wars saga including Episode III Revenge of the Sith will be on display at the FIDM Museum & Galleries now through December 10, 2005

Here's the link with all the exhibition information
    http://starwars.fidm.edu/index.shtm#fix
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Dressing A Galaxy: The Costumes of STAR WARS

Had a chance to see this exhibition today along with many costumed fans -excellent Storm Troppers uniforms (2 particularly cute ones, my friend almost gave one her business card - but no pockets on those things....), assorted Jedis, Leias, Padmes, etc. Would highly recommend this show for even the most casual Star Wars fans. There is even an X-Wing on display in the courtyard all from LucasFilm. Coincidently also taking in the show this afternoon was Ray Park, who'd starred as the very scary Darth Maul, and was Toad in the X-Men film. He gave impromptu Light Saber lessons to my niece and our friend's nephew - the kids were over the moon and in another galaxy!
    Last edited by ALIASd; 10-10-2005 at 07:29 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• done

We went with a group of friends on Sunday, and we all really enjoyed the exhibit. I should have a write-up with pictures up in a couple weeks.

• far, far away from DL

I would love to see pictures. The costumes are so beautiful. It takes alot of work just to make one costume. But to make hundreds takes talent.

sabrina

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

^ defintely check out the link in the first post to preview the Lucas Archive photos, they are so beautiful and breathtaking up close. They are selling a hard cover book of the same title of the photos at the exhibition as well.

• far, far away from DL

The book is really expensive. I would love to have it but a little low on funds for awhile. I looked at the website, Nice pictures. It takes a lot of talent to do that many costumes and make them look so beautiful.

Sabrina

• /sigh

We went on Saturday. Very neat exhibit. I'll upload some pics tonight.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Great, can't wait to see everyone's photos. Here's a piece of a new interview with Hayden Christensen discussing his costume:
    Q: How did you convince George Lucas to act inside the Darth Vader suit?
    Christensen: I just very politely asked if it was possible. And George and Rick - and the kind of people that they are - allowed me that privilege. I just said, "Listen, I've read the script. Now I know he's going to make an appearance at the end." And I think they were already in the process of meeting with basketball players and really tall people to do that job. And I just said, "I don't know if you guys can even make this happen but it would be really great for me if I could actually put the suit on."

Q: How did it feel to put the suit on and walk onto the set?
    Christensen: It was indescribable, you know? It was one, the completion of a job. It meant that my sort of five year journey was over coupled with the fact that it was just this incredibly powerful feeling, this beastly feeling that wells up inside of you when you're playing a character that is Darth. You walk by and people see Darth and you know you watch the reactions on their faces. The days that Darth came out was quite the event on set. Everyone wanted to see what was going on. It was a one of a kind experience.

Q: Was [the suit] heavy?

Christensen: Very heavy. The logistics of actually being in the costume weren't that great-it was very hot. They tried to make air-condition apparatus that didn't work. It was very claustrophobic and your vision is very limited. As well, they had to compensate for the height difference, so they had to put these big lifts in the shoes, so it was like walking around with 20-pound weights on your shoulders in high-heel shoes-not that I practiced that way! (laughs) It was something like that.
    full interview at http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=11507

• done

In case anyone is interested, I've posted a report about the exhibit at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in downtown Los Angeles displaying costumes from the Star Wars saga. Includes extensive photos.

Here's the link: http://www.colddeadfish.net/entertai...scostumes.html.

Thanks!

• far, far away from DL

Wow, what a great costumes. Thanks for the link. Just think all that time and effort put into those costumes. They are so beautiful.

sabrina

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Does anyone what to go to this??? I would enjoy the company, pm if you are?
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating