Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Ryan Reynolds is 'The Green Lantern'

Ryan Reynolds, the beautiful and talented star of Disney's Touchstone Pictures' hit romantic-comedy, 'The Proposal', has been signed to star in Warner Bros. Pictures' live-action film the 'Green Lantern'.
    BFDealmemo on Variety.com
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

Re: Ryan Reynolds is 'The Green Lantern'

Additional Info on how they did the search for Reynolds....

Cooper, Reynolds, Timberlake vie for 'Lantern' (Reuters) - Yahoo! Movies

Cooper, Reynolds, Timberlake vie for "Lantern" (Reuters)

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Warner Bros. is about to decide who will wear the super-powered ring in "Green Lantern," the studio's latest DC Comics movie, and the race has narrowed to Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds and Justin Timberlake.

Along with director Martin Campbell and producers Donald De Line and Greg Berlanti, the studio has spent the past five months searching for the actor to play Hal Jordan, the hot-shot Air Force pilot who is chosen by a dying alien to be his successor in an intergalactic police force known as the Green Lanterns.

The clock is ticking on the decision. The holding deal the studio had on the actors expired Monday, meaning that the three are now free to accept other offers.

The studio ordered up two rounds of screen tests with Cooper, Reynolds and Timberlake. Other actors in the early mix included Michael Fassbender, Henry Cavill and Jared Leto.

Apparently De Line, Campbell and the studio each had a different favorite among the three finalists, making it difficult to come to a consensus.

Another issue affecting the casting process is the rising budget. "Lantern" is a full-blown space epic that is expected to cost between $150 million and $200 million, if not more. Warners would like to have the production costs at a reasonable level before proceeding.

The studio has scheduled the movie for a December 2010 opening.

Cooper is feeling a lot of love from Warners; he's one of the stars of the studio's surprise comedy hit, "The Hangover," which has grossed $210 million domestically.

Reynolds recently starred in a comic-book movie, Fox's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," in which he played "Merc with a Mouth" Deadpool. The character is now being developed for a spinoff in which Reynolds will star. The actor also stars in the romantic comedy "The Proposal."

Timberlake has been steadily building an acting resume, appearing in such dramas as "Alpha Dog" and "Black Snake Moan" while showcasing his comedy chops with appearances on "Saturday Night Live."

Personally, I'd rather see Kyle Rayner, than Hal Jordan, but that's just me.
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 07-10-2009 at 11:10 PM.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I think there should be a rule in Hollywood about how many comic book characters one actor can play. I mean really....

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I really don't think any of them should be the Green Lantern. Hal Jordan was a low-life, angry, hot-shot pilot and non of them are perfect for the role.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Won't it be confusing if Reynolds gets it? I mean, he already plays Deadpool.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Was it confusing for Christian Bale to play Batman and to be in a Terminator film or play the same character Kevin Costner played in a film once?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• we jumped out a window

If Timberlake had gotten the part, I would've had to boycott this film the same way I'm boycotting Rise of the Fallen Cobra's Revenge.

There had better be special effects galore with the Lantern constructs in this movie!

• Circle of Ancients

I actually like the casting here. I don't see a mix between Deadpool and Green Lantern. Granted, I haven't seen Wolverine, but still.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    I think there should be a rule in Hollywood about how many comic book characters one actor can play. I mean really....

Or perhaps how many comic book movies an actor/actress can be in, unless it's from the same series or maker.

Prime example of that, James Marsters <sp?> who played Cyclops briefly in the third X-Men and in the same Summer, played Lois' fiance in Superman Returns.

For more than one movie for an actor or actress, then it should be a sequel or within the same comic book line. Such as RDJ playing Ironman in both the Ironman movies, and in the Avengers movie set to come out. Not play a character in the DC comics.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I really don't think any of them should be the Green Lantern. Hal Jordan was a low-life, angry, hot-shot pilot and non of them are perfect for the role.
    That's why I think they should use Kyle Rayner rather than Hal Jordan. I haven't seen Cooper enough, but I know both Reynolds and Timberlake are both wise crackin enough to play Kyle.

• Disneyland PAP

I read about the Cooper, Reynolds, Timberlake story yesterday, and with Reynolds getting the role, I'm relieved that Timberlake didn't! I haven't seen much of Reynolds, or Cooper for that matter, so I have an open mind. I did see Wolverine…and regretted it. The problem was the script. If there's a good-to-great GL script, I'll keep an open mind until I see the final film.

• Shablagoo!

Well Green Lantern is a DC Comics character and Deadpool is a Marvel Comics character. To say that an actor could not play a chracter in each universe would be like saying an actor cannot play a role in Star Trek and let's say Aliens.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Deadpool is more of a fringe character with limited fans. Green Lantern is in the major leagues. If the same actor played more than one character, it wouldn't work. Going from a minor character to a biggy is a totally different story.

Say! The thought just occurred. What if the same actor theat plays the Fantastic 4's Human Torch also played his sister, Sue Richards. Wouldn't that ROCK!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I would've liked Nathan Fillion to play Green Lantern.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTiRnqnvDs]YouTube - Green Lantern Trailer[/ame]

But I'd watch Ryan Reynolds read out of a phone book and still be entertained.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Was it confusing for Christian Bale to play Batman and to be in a Terminator film or play the same character Kevin Costner played in a film once?
    I don't know. I didn't see either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast