• "I Break Things"

An Underworld Question

Tinkmomma and I are both fans of the Underworld series but I posed a question we are both stuck on. Since Underworld tends to be a "love it" or "hate it" type of series I thought I might get the answers on here.

The question... do Vampires and Lycan age? It stems from a specific line said by Tannis, something to the effect of "Vampires take a long time to age and a seat doesn't open on the council very often". This made me think about a few things. Lucian is seen as a baby, as a boy, then as a man in his late 20's to early 30's. Centuries later he is still in his 30's. He is considered the first human shape shifting Lycan. Everyone he turns appears to stay at the age in which they are turned (Raze for example). So obviously Lucian grew older initially and then his appearance ceased to age.

Sonya is also initially portrayed as a little girl, then as a woman in her late 20's. She obviously dies, but if her vampire peers are to be used as examples then she likely would not show signs of age from that point on. Viktor appears slightly younger in the 3rd film... but not noticably. Perhaps the most telling part was that he was turned by Marcus, and was already an old man. This would indicate that his appearance is fixed at the age he was turned. Sonya and Lucian were not "turned" respectivly, they were born and therefore following that logic they would age.

Perhaps the most telling example is Alexander Corvinus who appears in the second film as an old man. He is the first immortal, and his age appears to be fixed in his late 50's to early 60's. He explains that he survived the Plague and later passed the gene onto his sons... so obviously he aged, and they did as well. Yet all 3 have a fixed age. William's appearance obviously can't be dated, but Marcus again appears to be in his late 20's to early 30's.

So that's my question. I continue to be impressed at how well all 3 movies relate to each other yet stand on their own. Aside from a few minor details (different Sonya death scene vs the flashbacks) the entire trillogy is cohesive. Hopefully someone can explain this last part which honestly confuses me.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Re: An Underworld Question

im a big fan of the series.. its the best blend of vampire and lycans to date(twilight isnt a true vampire series sparkley skin really people?).i think they age real slow. it seems that way through the three films, they kinda backed them selves in a corner though... how can they go forward? befor kate gets to old to wear that tight outfit?

• Circle of Ancients

Well, first off, I don't think Kate will EVER be too old to wear that outfit.

Also a big fan of the series although I think they made Sonja in movie 3 look WAY too much like Kate. Also, didn't like the HUGEMONGOUS lips on Sonja. She looked way different than she did in Hollow Man (the actress who played Sonja). Plus, the original Sonja (in the flashback in movie 1 was blonde).

Now, to the question. I thought the line you were referring to was something like "Vampires don't die very often and a seat doesn't open on the council very often". Your talking about the 3rd movie when Tannis is speaking to Sonya about how to get Lucius out correct?

Found this on IMDB:

Tannis: There are twelve seats on the Council
    Sonja: And we don't die often
    Is that what your referring to?

• "I Break Things"

I will have to watch it again tonight... but I believe it was within that conversation, but a line from Tannis, not Sonja. They did show a certain "mortality" to both Lycans and Vampires in the sense that they can either be "turned" or "born". The common belief was that if they are turned then they maintain the appearance of when they were turned... Viktor and Raze both demonstrate this. If they are born then they age... Lucian and Sonja both demonstrate this. However the "magic number" appears to be late 20's to early 30's... at that point the appearance of aging stops. Alexander demonstrates the best example of aging, yet Marcus shows no signs of aging at all.

In regards to the flashback vs the actual event... Sonja was a blond, the iris was different, costumes were different. Some of it could be attributed to an "old memory" but there were several inconsistincies. Considering how neatly everything is tied together though... it is a minor complaint about what I consider to be a very well written/executed trilogy.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

every series has its flaws some more forgiveable then otehrs. this franchise has very very few, unlike star wars(classic 77) that has so many you cant count.. but also forgiveable.the ageing of alexander is diffrent then that of the other two corvinus family members alexander was a true imortal..so ageing affects him diffrently then the one bitten by bat, and the other by wolf ...and i do agree with evilqueen this does resemble a dungeons and dragons argument...lol but thats ok i used to play d&d