View Poll Results: Who's The Better Dumbledore?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richard Harris?

38 55.88%
  • Michael Gambon?

30 44.12%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Who Is The Better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or Michael Gambon

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Sediment was not being rude, just dorky.
    M-glaven.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    To me Richard Harris WAS Dumbledore. He captured the spirit of the character very well. After watching the first movie I would always picture him in my head as I read Dumbledore's lines in the book.
    That being said, Richard Harris has gotten better as the series progressed. I did not like him at all in "Azkaban" but I felt he did a really good job in the new film.

For those of you wondering about Ian McKellan/Richard Harris here is a link I found
    No Regrets For McKellen In Turning Down Harry Potter | Airlock Alpha

Also I have read that Richard Harris' family was hoping Peter O'Toole would take over the role of Dumbledore because Harris and O'Toole were very good friends. Now that wouldve been interesting.
    Um, I think you mean "Michael Gambon."
    Peter O'Toole would have killed as Dumbledore. (That's "good.")
    However, as there will have been six more movies over 8-9 years to go, I think having someone a little younger in the part was prudent of the producers. Helps to have someone younger for the flashbacks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Both are excellent at Dumbledore for different reasons. Richard Harris played the grandfatherly, caring, twinkle in the eye side of Dumbledore much better. Michael Gambon plays the action, severe, worried with the weight of the world on his shoulders side of Dumbledore better. It's really unfair to compare them though as neither really had to play the others side very much. Though Michael Gambon did a great job being more grandfatherly in this movie than he has previously.

As for Ian McKellan, there is a scene in Half Blood Prince, at the locket, where Michael Gambon was the spitting image of Gandalf. I did a double take there for a sec.

I guess one way of putting this is, Harris might not have ever been able to pull off the scene in the 5th movie, where he escapes from his office, when Fudge and Umbridge are trying to arrest him. Gambon pulled it off with cool flair. Harris, well I guess we'll never know.

• Rides against injustice

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Um, I think you mean "Michael Gambon."
    Peter O'Toole would have killed as Dumbledore. (That's "good.")
    However, as there will have been six more movies over 8-9 years to go, I think having someone a little younger in the part was prudent of the producers. Helps to have someone younger for the flashbacks.
    lol..oops..thanks!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

After seeing Half Blood Prince ...

I have to go with Gambon. As much as I LOVED Richard Harris as Dumbledore, in this movie, Gambon has taken over the role of Dumbledore and was AMAZING in this movie. I was solidly in the Richard Harris camp, but I think Gambon won me over finally in HBP.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Harris will always be Dumbledore to me. I think I would have totally broken down in the theater if he were still with us for HBP. He had such a quiet authority and that twinkle in his eye that I associate with Dumbledore. Dumbledore never had to yell and get angry at the kids like Gambon does. I heard that Gambon hasn't read the books, which is maybe why he doesn't seem to embody the Dumbledore character that I felt I got to know in the books. I will say that I think Gambon has gotten better in each of the films and that I really started to like him in 6.
    <o>

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    After seeing Half Blood Prince ...

I have to go with Gambon. As much as I LOVED Richard Harris as Dumbledore, in this movie, Gambon has taken over the role of Dumbledore and was AMAZING in this movie. I was solidly in the Richard Harris camp, but I think Gambon won me over finally in HBP.
    Just got out of HBP and I agree Gambon finally played Dumbledore with the quiet wisdom and grace that I always felt he should be played, which is how Harris played him. As far as this thread's poll tho', it's too late to finally for him to get it "right" in my book and earn my vote. I'm still happy with my original vote for Harris.

• Minion

I do like how close the vote is.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

I loved Richard Harris as Dumbledore. Michael Gambon has become a great Dumbledore as well, but it was just weird seeing him in the third movie. Their portrayals of the character is so different from each others.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Doesn't get enough Disney

My favorite is Richard Harris, because I felt like he portrayed the soft, whimsical Dumbledore I love. Michael Gambon usually disappoints me with his stoic take on the character, but her finally had a good, childlike Dumbledore moment in HBP, so that helped me respect him a little more.

Si vous voulez venir danser aussi, le ticket d’entrée n’est jamais gratuit.
    Il faut payer de sa vie.

• I am McLovin.

Although Richard Harris played an incredible Dumbledore, I love Micheal Gambon's portrayal just a bit more.
    Oh. That looks nice.
    -TikiRoomLiz

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    I do like how close the vote is.
    I'm honestly surprised by how close the vote is. This is an interesting poll.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Richard Harris's Dumbledore is closer to the Dumbledore in the book. However' Michael Gambon is OK and I can't be angry at Richard Harris for being dead.

• Minion

this thread made the round up!

• A Weather Eye Open

It's really hard to tell because Harris only acted in the 1st two movies, under the direction Chris Columbus, and they really STANK. It would have been interesting to seen where he took it under the other directors, who departed more from the books but made smarter, slightly darker films that did the books much better justice. Dumbledore is one of my favorite characters, and I enjoyed seeing his stronger, harder side from Gambon. He was a real badass! I have no clue if Harris would've played it similar due to the new directors; it's so hard to judge his performance potential when I dislike the 2 films he did.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast